panasonic 50vt20 .. will it be crowned king ?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

D.J.KRIME:The point was and is that if the TV's you recieve for review were selected for you by the manufactures and not by you then there would be a inballance in all reviews as the manufactures could hen-pick the models they wish to push. This to date would apear the case with Samung regarding their 3D offerings thus far as all you have recieved are their LCD models.

Another bizarre post: of course the manufacturers choose which models they send us, although whether or not they have a hen to do it is beyond my awareness. We request the models we wish to test, they choose whether or not to send them. We can't actually force them to send us a product.

Nothing bizare with my post at all Andrew and with wit like yours you should be on a stage! And as to your statement of "we can't actually force them to send us a product" sure you can't but if a request for a certain product was not met then surely this is when you ask them why they have chosen not to send it? there is then the option of WHSAV actually purchasing the TV, reviewing it then selling it on say Ebay, I'm sure the small amount of loss would be viable to your magazine.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
the other two hx903 reviews out there found plenty of crosstalk ...

the 52hx903 is the real competition to the pana , unless my maths are wrong , 52 is closer to 50 than 46..

the 52hx903 is £950 more than the panasonic ..

the use of expressions like "in another ball park" when describing the sony in comparism to the pana is again in contrast to other respected reviewers findings..

giving 4 stars to the pana , even though its £950 cheaper than the sony , is a step too far clare , even with your fine grasp of the english language , there is no way of reasonably justifying that score ..

which leaves the question , why so different to other reviewers , again ? ?

There is a way of justifying it- it's detailed in both reviews of the products. Which you still haven't read.

Max, I don't care what other reviewers write - many of them whom don't have access to dedicated side-by-side testing facilities as we do - but I do know and trust our testers, our methodologies and our total independence. Oh, and my own eyes!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:Nothing bizare with my post at all Andrew and with wit like yours you should be on a stage! And as to your statement of "we can't actually force them to send us a product" sure you can't but if a request for a certain product was not met then surely this is when you ask them why they have chosen not to send it? there is then the option of WHSAV actually purchasing the TV, reviewing it then selling it on say Ebay, I'm sure the small amount of loss would be viable to your magazine.

Oh I don't know: the idea of a hen picking which products Samsung sent was pretty odd.

And yes, we will ask why a product isn't available, and will mention the fact in print when germane to the test. We could also buy a set for review, agreed, but our budget for doing that is very limited, and thus only used in relatively few circumstances.

And thank you for the kind words about my wit: it's always appreciated.

A

Anonymous

it doesnt matter if the sony is as good as an imax theatre with a sexy waitress ..

the panasonic 50vt20 is an exceptional tv , it was nobbled , just like its g20 stablemate..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If we dont succeed in getting the Samsung in (which i'm reasonably sure we eventually will, if we persist; though manufacturers don't release test models of every TV) , it's definitely something i'd consider flexing the credit card for, as I did for the AVI speakers earlier this year. But we don't have much budget!

A

Anonymous

I haven't seen the number 4 given so much attention since Sesame Street

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
it doesnt matter if the sony is as good as an imax theatre with a sexy waitress ..

the panasonic 50vt20 is an exceptional tv , it was nobbled , just like its g20 stablemate..

Your proof for that nonsensical statement?

D

Deleted member 2457

I have too say i saw some issues with the VT20 with the picture doing bizzare things at times but on the V20 i did not see that so it will be interesting if it gets reviewed and in what group test how well that one does.

D

Deleted member 2457

tvspecv:

"The future of tv is LCD"

i`m banking on the phillips 3d. if i`m still asleep what did the panny get ? 4 or 5?

Hi tvspecv

I just saw this page it could be interesting too you.
emotion-21.gif

http://www.avland.co.uk/tv/default.asp

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe I just read this entire thread.

I'm exhausted. Lucky I'm sitting in the sunshine!

I understand the premium sony products will not be discounted for some time - being only available to certain dealers, whereas the Panasonic can be had for £2000 with little online searching. The Panasonic would appear to be better value for money.

Although I accept the Sony 903 is probably technically superior - I think I have to agree with max that the Panny shouldn't have been docked a star.

But it's been done now, so no use crying over spilled milk.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes, like all new technology it will be utterly expensive in the beginning.
But give it 4-5 years and that will begin to change.

A

Anonymous

oled is taking a while to crack though , wernt we meant to have 40in ones by now ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
TKratz:Yes, like all new technology it will be utterly expensive in the beginning.

Well, we've already given it two or three years and it hasn't...

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

TKratz:Yes, like all new technology it will be utterly expensive in the beginning.

Well, we've already given it two or three years and it hasn't...

Do you want to bet Andrew
emotion-5.gif

I know there has been a set back, but it is coming now, I strongly believe that.
Several manufacturer's have announced screens up to 40 inches next year.
In 4-5 years they will be competitive, maybe not at 50 inches and above, but the 40ties at least.

A

Anonymous

If there was a 40 inch competible TV available I would buy one today.

A

Anonymous

actually its quite clever really , pitching the vt20 against the sony ,
emotion-21.gif
.. fair play ..

after this little micro storm in a cyber tea cup has fizzled out , the vt20 review will serve merely as an advertisement for the sony ..

you gotta respect the cleverness of it really , lol .
emotion-21.gif

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
just to get the thread going again, i dont think that there are many people who would pay £460 more for a slight improvement in picture quality, and get a set that is 4 inches smaller, i also think that most people would compare the set with a 52" on a like for like basis ,so to pay almost a £1000 more is totally unrealistic!!

I have also demo'd the sets in great detail as i live 2 minutes from Currys New Malden and they had "the first 3D TV in the country" that was the Sony 52HX903 in the store about 4 months ago, and there was noticeable crosstalk issue on a small selection of there 3D content. The Samsung UE46C8000 actually looked a far inferior set in comparison when watching Monsters v Aliens,however when the shop got the Panasonic VT20 with demo disc and that was played on the Samsung it showed the Samsung TV in a totally different light.

I also think there are a lot of alternative factors , such as viewing habits, is the TV going to be wall mounted , light or dark room conditions( i found the Sony almost unwatchable because of the reflections in the shop ) .and of course ,budget. I personally think the Panasonic looks about 10 years old which had a large influence on my buying decision I also have a slight issue with the star ratings and the reasoning used to get to the conclusions that are found,but you have to factor in WHSV is a multi media magazine that is trying to keep everyone and there grandmother happy and will probably be reviewing an iphone and a turntable on the next page and you get to why this is the easiest reviewing process available, brought home this month by another mag producing what is to be there last issue after 30 years!!

and why the mocking of Max, he is entitled to ask the question,the Panasonic has been classed a reference TV by everyone else who has reviewed it , and with no subscription he would not have read the reviews by WHSV, so it seems very easy to say,"you have not read the review" , i also have not read the review but it quite rightly does not take a rocket scientist to question the outcome!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts