Out with the New, In with the Old?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Interesting year - 2 KEF users go elsewhere and 2 go KEF Ref's interesting, at least 2 sensible people on this forum..... 

This is a rhetorical joke in case anyone misses what I mean 
:)
6 months to go ... Who knows what craziness lays ahead in 2018 :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
What wood finish are you going for on your new speakers ? And I bet your miss the class A amplifier

It was Hobson's Choice....and Rosewood. It'a probably my favorite finish.

All the rest of my system, was getting the 205/2s to sound as sweet and organic as possible...and the 35i was part of that. The Harbeths don't need that, to anything like the same extent. They just need a well designed amp....and the more powerful, the better. Blimey, I'm starting to sound like a HUG acolyte.

Different speakers have different needs imo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Welcome to the Harbeth club Cno!

You are in for many years of enjoyment from those 40.2's, may well be your last speaker.

Thinking ahead, any ideas on which amp you'd like to pair them with?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Thx Mac.

If they're not my last speakers....I'll be taking my last breath. *biggrin*

I'll be looking carefully at the Arcam A49 replacement....but it will need an HT Bypass and give a substantial improvement over the AVR600 (and it's current replacement).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
it's nice to have change and appreciate something different and new. CNo can always hear the refs in my you tube videos...

I can now see the wisdom of IL's 2 system protocol....nothing wrong with a little Cognative (Sonic) Dissonance.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Well, after a brain frazzeling few days, I'm now the owner of some new speakers......anyone like to guess which ones?

Am heading out shortly, so hope to give more detail later.

I’m guessing the heat got to you and you bought some Focals....

It didn't narly hot enough for that....which would take a move to The Sahara Desert. *biggrin*

Congratulations CNO. It's rare I find someone's purchases interesting but this has tweaked something within me. I like the spirit with which you have engaged this change and hope it all works out well. Maybe I've missed some detail along the way but what amp are you using with the Harbeth?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
You may get this But stop getting so emotional/stop talking and put some pictures up for us, please

*blum3*

If I can figure out how, I might give it a go....though their aesthetics are an aquired taste, sitting incongrously on those spindley metal stands,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Well, after a brain frazzeling few days, I'm now the owner of some new speakers......anyone like to guess which ones?

Am heading out shortly, so hope to give more detail later.

I’m guessing the heat got to you and you bought some Focals....

It didn't get nearly hot enough for that....which would take a move to The Sahara Desert. *biggrin*

Congrats on your Harbeths, Cno. They are a lovely sound I’m sure, as I was wooed by the SHL5 at Bristol a couple of year ago. Had I a nearer dealer, I’d have auditioned them last year, though I feel that my ATC are a bit more practical and domestically acceptable, and sound pretty decent too!

Happy listening!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cno, How would you compare AMS35i with the AV600 driving the Harbeths? Would you still p/x the 35i IF you CAN afford the Harbs full price? It’s a cheeky question but there you are.

Thanks

It's a fair question.

The 35i is a big step up over the AVR600...though the latter gives a good flavour of it.

There are 3 main reasons why I sold the 35i:

- To help with the cost

- The Power from the 35i was all wrong for the Harbeths. As you know, this amp thrives on High Sensitivity and Low Impedance (eg. Kef/Focal). The Harbeths are the other way round and imo need lots of power to come alive.

- I only listened to the 35i around 20% of the time, due to the power it used and the heat it generated.

The AMS 35i is the best amp under 10k that I've heard....and if it was a normal AB, or Class G amp, that had HT Bypass and more power, I would certainly have kept it if I could....but it is what it is and not really suitable for the big Harbeths.

If I had gone for the Ref 3s, the amp would certainly have been staying - hopefully you will shortly hear why.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations CNO *drinks* .

I never thought I would see the day that you would part with your 35i .

I think a nice EC4.8 and a pair of AW400 monoblocks ( a kilowatt into 2 ohms ) might work well rather well with those Harbeths now that Electrocompaniet have secured their long term future. *good* *diablo* *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Congrats on your Harbeths, Cno. They are a lovely sound I’m sure, as I was wooed by the SHL5 at Bristol a couple of year ago. Had I a nearer dealer, I’d have auditioned them last year, though I feel that my ATC are a bit more practical and domestically acceptable, and sound pretty decent too!

Happy listening!

Thank you, my friend.

The highlighted bit is the understatement of the year.

I would love to hear them in a 18' X 30' room, well away from the walls, driven by something like a MF Nu Vista 800 and with Linn Klimax DS as a Source.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:

I think a nice EC4.8 and a pair of AW400 monoblocks ( a kilowatt into 2 ohms ) might work well rather well with those Harbeths now that Electrocompaniet have secured their long term future. *good* *diablo* *biggrin*

Thank you, Sir.

As for your amp suggestion - I fully agree.....though the Harbeths don't really drop much below 6 Ohms.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Electro said:

Thank you, Sir.

As for your amp suggestion - I fully agree.....though the Harbeths don't really drop much below 6 Ohms.

At 6 ohms they still chuck out around 600 wpc so they should still be able to just about shift those large Harbeth cones. *biggrin*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
after hearing harbeth a lot at shows I fancy them with Luxman tbh.

That's not a combo I have heard so far, I think it would be spot on.

Watch out for a used 509X CNo

Those speakers likely warrant the 900 pre and power combo though which is mega money - get saving lol :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
after hearing harbeth a lot at shows I fancy them with Luxman tbh.

That's not a combo I have heard so far, I think it would be spot on.

Watch out for a used 509X CNo

Yup. Luxman/Accuphase/LFD/Mc Intosh are regular recommendations.

With the Harbeths, I think I would have a bigger choice than with Kef (which I think sound best with Amps that are really musical, with no forwardness).

insider9

Would love to see some pics.

Here's how. Upload a picture to a hosting site and copy its URL.

Then paste it here in format below making sure you have < at the beginning and > at the end.

img src="URL you copied"

Alternatively, post image addresses and I'll format them so they show up :)

Flickr is a little bit awkward so would require a couple more steps to retrieve URL.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
are you still running through the same considerations a or has anything else peaked your interest?

Nope. It's still Harbeth 40.2 vs Kef Ref 3.

If I go with the Harbeths, I'll be trading in my beloved 35i, to help offset the price....also, the specs of the Harbeths are all wrong for making the most of the MF's power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts