Out with the New, In with the Old?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iceman16

ellisdj said:
with the Dave you can select HF or HIFI to be on and that stops the hardening of the top end in my experience using one - not just on the REF's. Did you try that?

You can get the REF's to sound more nimble - but other speakers sound faster for sure, I noticed that with the B&W 705's

No I did’nt try that with the Dave. I got a discounted price on the ref3(new) and visually for my taste I prefer the black with silver front finish than the foundry.

iceman16

ellisdj said:
worth the wait to get what you want - I bet your excited what made you go for them?

As many of us know, there’s no perfect speakers but there’s always something better for our ears. I dont just rely on reviews and watching vids on YT but helped as a guide.

iceman16

ellisdj said:
where did you get yours from out of curiosity?

Audio Affair. Now please ellis mate dont ask me how much I paid for them lol. Normally the Ref3 have same price(£8300)for all its colour finishes apart from the American walnut which is much cheaper(£7500). I paid (deep piano black) for less than the price of walnut and a free gift worth £100.

Sorry Cno for hijacking your thread.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cno.. What's your final thought on the Ref3 when driven by the AMS 35i? I've had a listen to them again last sat. in shop not with my amp but a MF M6si/Bluesound node2/Chord dave dac. I was very impressed overall but a tad hardening in the mids and highs. Vocals sound fuller and more refined than my Focals. So I asked to disconnect the Chord Dave and just plugged in the Bluesound directly to amp, the sound was a bit warmer but the expense of a bit overall clarity and punch. The best thing that struck me is the wide dispersion of mids and highs without toe-in. The Focals sounds more "faster" and agile in comparison and they're toe to toe in detail. shhhh...I think you know that Cno.

Don't worry about thread drift....as far as I'm concerned, this is exactly why I post on here. Ask away, if you have any other thoughts or questions.

Once my 35i had properly heated up, Akurate DS -> AMS 35i -> Ref 3, was up there with the best sound I've ever heard.

If there is anything in the chain that is inclined towards hardness, you will hear it.

I think the 35i is a totally different proposition to the M6si, and will give a much more dynamic and euphonious sound.

I have heard the Refs sound as you describe...and I believe it was showing up a weakness in the Arcam CD/Streamer that was used (it was an Arcam/Kef evening).

I have never cared for any Chord DAC that I've heard...but haven't heard the recent ones.

Your best bet is to get them home and put them on the end of your own system.....and I suspect your worries will melt away. They really are a speaker that has huge headroom...so simply just gets better and better as the system behind it improves. They have the best resolution of any speaker I've heard, including Focal....all imo.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
Cno.. What's your final thought on the Ref3 when driven by the AMS 35i? I've had a listen to them again last sat. in shop not with my amp but a MF M6si/Bluesound node2/Chord dave dac. I was very impressed overall but a tad hardening in the mids and highs. Vocals sound fuller and more refined than my Focals. So I asked to disconnect the Chord Dave and just plugged in the Bluesound directly to amp, the sound was a bit warmer but the expense of a bit overall clarity and punch. The best thing that struck me is the wide dispersion of mids and highs without toe-in. The Focals sounds more "faster" and agile in comparison and they're toe to toe in detail. shhhh...I think you know that Cno.

Once my 35i had properly heated up, Akurate DS -> AMS 35i -> Ref 3, was up there with the best sound I've ever heard.

If there is anything in the chain that is inclined towards hardness, you will hear it.

I think the 35i is a totally different proposition to the M6si, and will give a much more dynamic and euphonious sound.

I have heard the Refs sound as you describe...and I believe it was showing up a weakness in the Arcam CD/Streamer that was used (it was an Arcam/Kef evening).

I have never cared for any Chord DAC that I've heard...but haven't heard the recent ones.

Your best bet is to get them home and put them on the end of your own system.....and I suspect your worries will melt away. They really are a speaker that has huge headroom...so simply just gets better and better as the system behind it improves. They have the best resolution of any speaker I've heard, including Focal....all imo.

Cheers Cno, As I’ve mentioned I already placed an order of the Ref3 in gloss black finish not the foundry edition. But unfortunately Kef does’nt have them in stock so I was told to wait for few weeks. My only concern is they’re quite deep in size in which I may need to configure placement in my living room. Though in the shop they were placed around 2 feet from the back wall with no issues. The dealer also mentioned two diff size flexible port bungs(tubes) that may help in bass .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cheers Cno, As I’ve mentioned I already placed an order of the Ref3 in gloss black finish not the foundry edition. But unfortunately Kef does’nt have them in stock so I was told to wait for few weeks. My only concern is they’re quite deep in size in which I may need to configure placement in my living room. Though in the shop they were placed around 2 feet from the back wall with no issues. The dealer also mentioned two diff size flexible port bungs(tubes) that may help in bass .

You are certainly heading in my direction. First with the AMS35i and now with the Refs. Next you need to try a Linn DS. *diablo*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have made a few changes / additions this end and I am hearing the REF3 perform at a level I didn't think they could do - well I wanted them to but I thought it would be beyond this level of speaker.

I have more to do still but just when you think you have heard the best from them they go up another gear I actually can't believe it.

Some of the best sound I have heard so far.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have made a few changes / additions this end and I am hearing the REF3 perform at a level I didn't think they could do - well I wanted them to but I thought it would be beyond this level of speaker.

I have more to do still but just when you think you have heard the best from them they go up another gear I actually can't believe it.

Some of the best sound I have heard so far.

This is something that I keep highlighting. If they don't sound stunning, there is something else wrong in the chain (imo).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Macspur said:
Congrats on your new purchase Iceman.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Cheers Mac.. I do really appreciate your help together with Cno and Electro when Im building my system few yrs ago. My amp and cdp are keepers and the only amp that can possibly replace the AMS35i is the Jadis I-50 valve integrated. Im really excited for the Ref 3 to arrive soon.

Please come back with your thoughts once the Kefs are in place.

I will hopefully be hearing the Ref 3's when I meet up with Cno in Belfast at the end of July.

Mac

iceman16

Macspur said:
iceman16 said:
Macspur said:
Congrats on your new purchase Iceman.

Mac

Cheers Mac.. I do really appreciate your help together with Cno and Electro when Im building my system few yrs ago. My amp and cdp are keepers and the only amp that can possibly replace the AMS35i is the Jadis I-50 valve integrated. Im really excited for the Ref 3 to arrive soon.

Please come back with your thoughts once the Kefs are in place.

I will hopefully be hearing the Ref 3's when I meet up with Cno in Belfast at the end of July.

Mac

Will do Mac.. and the Focals are now up for grabs.

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
CNo did you buy the REF 3 in the end - going by Macs comment there, I thought you might be leaning towards Harbeth

Decision not fully made......hopefully next week. I will of course update the situation, when there is something to update.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:
are you still running through the same considerations a or has anything else peaked your interest?

Nope. It's still Harbeth 40.1 vs Kef Ref 3.

If I go with the Harbeths, I'll be trading in my beloved 35i, to help offset the price....also, the specs of the Harbeths are all wrong for making the most of the MF's power.
Assuming you go down this route - how will you power the Harberths? Your AV receiver?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:
are you still running through the same considerations a or has anything else peaked your interest?

Nope. It's still Harbeth 40.1 vs Kef Ref 3.

If I go with the Harbeths, I'll be trading in my beloved 35i, to help offset the price....also, the specs of the Harbeths are all wrong for making the most of the MF's power.
Assuming you go down this route - how will you power the Harberths? Your AV receiver?

Yup. I have always liked the AVR600s's 2 channel performance. It would happily power the Harbeths. If I go that route, I might get another amp at some point in the future (when funds allow).

iceman16

Cno. Just ordered this rack which I think will compliment the Ref 3 gloss black finish. Paid 50% dep. finance the rest. I could'nt find a suitable one as the AMS/Electro cdp are wider in size compare to normal hifi. Now there's a space for a streamer*dash1*

3D70939B-E4F9-49F3-A054-01DCB7478021_zpszsenep25.jpeg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts