Out with the New, In with the Old?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Are you also sticking speaker isolation ontop of your dac?

And you can tell in a blind test?

Please confirm.

I'm not talking about under speakers as intended use.

No, I am talking Isolation under the DS (Black Ravioli).

The blind test consisted of me inserting, or removing pads, while herself described what she heard (having no idea what I was doing). With 100% accuracy, she was able to tell whether I was putting in the pads, or taking them out.

Sorry if I took you up wrong.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
Are you also sticking speaker isolation ontop of your dac?

And you can tell in a blind test?

Please confirm.

I'm not talking about under speakers as intended use.

No, I am talking Isolation under the DS (Black Ravioli).

The blind test consisted of me inserting, or removing pads, while herself described what she heard (having no idea what I was doing). With 100% accuracy, she was able to tell whether I was putting in the pads, or taking them out.

Sorry if I took you up wrong.

Speaker isolation feet/pads but don't believe there are any sonic gains sticking ontop of DACs

I'd also say that if there was obvious changes in sound quality it could be measured.
The difference could be easily showed in a graph.

Also any electronic equipment that can improve so much as to be audible by sticking isolation under/ontop has a serious design fault.

If this is so it's been stated before that it could be heard through the speakers by tapping on the dac/component with a stick.

I've tried this with the dac in another room and could not hear anything.

My question is how much less vibration is caused on a rack than being beaten by a stick?

Why no one has shown measurements to prove it also.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Speaker isolation feet/pads but don't believe there are any sonic gains sticking ontop of DACs

I'd also say that if there was obvious changes in sound quality it could be measured. The difference could be easily showed in a graph.

Also any electronic equipment that can improve so much as to be audible by sticking isolation under/ontop has a serious design fault.

If this is so it's been stated before that it could be heard through the speakers by tapping on the dac/component with a stick.

My question is how much less vibration is caused on a rack than being beaten by a stick?

I can only report what hapened from our perspective....and it certainly wasn't measured. On the same test, I also had the much more expensive "Big Feet"...and felt they made the sound worse.

TBF I don't expect anyone to believe what I say....but if it gets people to experiment, then that is great.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

I'd also say that if there was obvious changes in sound quality it could be measured. The difference could be easily showed in a graph.

I can only report what hapened from our perspective....and it certainly wasn't measured. On the same test, I also had the much more expensive "Big Feet"...and felt they made the sound worse.

TBF I don't expect anyone to believe what I say....but if it gets people to experiment, then that is great.

Fair enough

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Have you ever noticed the new ref speakers vocals to sound nasal or slightly metallic sounding? Just something not quite right?

I don't mean this a criticism.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I know I linked to this informative review of Harbeth 40.2s on I9's thread (for a different reason), but I'm copying it again here (mostly so I can find it).
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?25222-Harbeth-Monitor-40-2

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Have you ever noticed the new ref speakers vocals to sound nasal or slightly metallic sounding? Just something not quite right?

IME. How the Refs sound depends on the kit they are connected to. Do this well and they have a Treble that is refined and delicate, with incredible resolution. Do it wrong and they can sound hard, shouty and a bit too Hifi.

The one thing I have never heard, is them sounding "nasal"....quite the opposite ie. Very open, clean and accurate.

Have you heard some sounding like that....and if so, what were they connected to and with what cabling?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

IME. How the Refs sound depends on the kit they are connected to. Do this well and they have a Treble that is refined and delicate, with incredible resolution. Do it wrong and they can sound hard, shouty and a bit too Hifi.

The one thing I have never heard, is them sounding "nasal"....quite the opposite ie. Very open, clean and accurate.

Have you heard some sounding like that....and if so, what were they connected to and with what cabling?

A while ago and was always wondering.
Seems the harbeth excelled in the vocals which you noticed as a strong point made me remember and just wonder.

When I changed from r700 to ATC I noticed the vocals also.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You could, of course, keep your present amp and speakers and upgrade your source. Are you still using the Majik as your source, Cno? Are you not tempted by the Akurate Katalyst? Just a thought .......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The big Harbeths excel by sounding incredibly natural and realistic when it comes to anything that isn't amplified.

The Kefs excel by sounding incredibly detailed and exciting with anything amplified.

.....and they are both very (very) capable doing what the other really excels at.

It's like trying to decide which "Charlie's Angel" you prefer.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
You could, of course, keep your present amp and speakers and upgrade your source. Are you still using the Majik as your source, Cno? Are you not tempted by the Akurate Katalyst? Just a thought .......
This has also crossed my mind.....and is all part of the mindfcuk I'm going through.

The speakers have come up at a good price and in the right colour....and in the case of the Harbeth, a one time deal.

There is no way Michael would keep a demo pair of these, as the Market here is so small. He only has them, as a customer returned them shortly after getting them...and rather than be stuck with them, he is prepared to do a favourable deal.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The big Harbeths excel by sounding incredibly natural and realistic when it comes to anything that isn't amplified.

The Kefs excel by sounding incredibly detailed and exciting with anything amplified.

.....and they are both very (very) capable doing what the other really excels at.

It's like trying to decide which "Charlie's Angel" you prefer.

Jump in the middle and enjoy all 3.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

I have found the same thing with the Ref's. They are very sensitive to what you partner them with. This can obviously be a very good thing indeed. The 3's with Devialet was superb when I heard them together.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
If I were to choose IMO the deciding factor would be on what type of music I prefer and play most.
At heart, I am "Old School". I grew up with valves (my Father's system), Tape Decks and Vinyl. I preferred the A&R A60 to Cyrus and liked the LP12's mid range bloom and the Celestion SL6.

My musical taste is eclectic and favour an organic sound....hence Class A and Linn DS.

The fact that the Ref 3s compete with the Harbeths is a credit to them....but they take carefully chosen ancillary equipment, to sound the way I want them.

IMO. The Harbeths are much more "Equipment Agnostic", as long as the amp has enough power....though they improve as the quality of the system improves.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Harbeth 40.2s manage to have incredible resolution (as befitting their Monitor status), but still always remain natural and enjoyable. They highlight poor recordings, but never make them even worse than they are....it's a neat trick.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
When do you think you'll be able to have the home demo?  Is the clock ticking before you have to decide Cno, or is Michael quite relaxed about it?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
People aren't queuing up to buy speakers at this price and he is busy doing commercial instals, so he is not panicking.

I suspect it will be 2 or 3 weeks...and I have yet to fully decide which speaker to bring for the demo.

If going for the Harbeths, I will need the "Missing Link" isolation feet from Something Solid...do you know anything about them?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
When do you think you'll be able to have the home demo?  Is the clock ticking before you have to decide Cno, or is Michael quite relaxed about it?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
People aren't queuing up to buy speakers at this price and he is busy doing commercial instals, so he is not panicking.

I suspect it will be 2 or 3 weeks...and I have yet to fully decide which speaker to bring for the demo.

If going for the Harbeths, I will need the "Missing Link" isolation feet from Something Solid...do you know anything about them?

I'm telling you now and you already know it but the only upgrade that will totally satisfy you would be the KEF.

Cno and KEF go hand in hand
You can have an affair with other brands but once the honeymoon is over the divorce proceedings will start.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The Harbeth 40.2s manage to have incredible resolution (as befitting their Monitor status), but still always remain natural and enjoyable. They highlight poor recordings, but never make them even worse than they are....it's a neat trick.

I haven’t heard the 40.2’s but have heard the Super HL5 plus. These exhibited great naturalness, resolution and clarity, but I’m put off by being able to clearly hear the cabinet at certain frequencies. IMO in its day, the BBC approach to move troublesome cabinet resonances down the frequency range where they wouldn’t be noticed so much was a clever design trick. But this was when all speakers were pretty much made from flat panels. I think we’ve moved on and the work Franco Serblin did with curved and asymmetric cabinets pretty much solves the cabinet resonance problem and hence why Sonus Fabers sound better to my ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts