Out with the New, In with the Old?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Familiar setting and the whole setup to AB should you need. I'm sure you know it well enough almost not to bother.

I hope it is as you say added resolution without the edge. The pursuit of detail often leads to speakers that are impressive at first listen but tire out at long listening. I'm sure Kef would know better and there's nothing in your system that should contribute to it. Perhaps it was either room acoustics or even longer warm up was needed.

The reason the Refs invoke varying opinions, is they are so revealing. If anything is just a little out of kilter in the chain, or the recording is below power, you will hear it.

If you put them on the end of a cool analytical system, they will sound cool and analytical. If the Source is deficient, a light will be shone on it.....but get it right and you will be rewarded with an engaging and dramatic musical experience.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
yeah the 2 I think they are 30kg each speaker

If they were 30kg, then the Daia 111 would work (up to 32kg).

On the webside - it gives the weight as 51.3kg....but underneath, it then says Unit of Measurement - Pair. Given mine weigh 33kg, I assumed these would be heavier.

The weight should be printed on the boxes.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have got them not tried them yet.

I need to do before recordings and have watched a few movies last few days not watched any in ages.

I have some time planned tomorrow to do the before video / recordings.

If only people knew what I have to do just to setup the amount of stuff I have to move around just to be able to setup :)

I contacted the other company again for you sorry forgot the name. They said they are very busy and still thinking about it. I have tried :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
more importantly did you buy the bad boy Harbeths or what??

At this stage, I still had no idea which way my decision would go.

Anyway, we connected the Ref 3s to the ADSM/Majik and fired them up.

The result was very interesting. They're quite similar in some ways, yet quite different in others. Both produced beatifully sweet treble, with the Kefs being a touch cleaner. They both had a highly detailed and accurate midrange, with the Harbeths being slightly richer and they both had prodigious bass, with the Harbeths going a touch deeper and the Kefs being bit tighter.

I was surprised that the Kefs sounded almost as natural on voices and acoustic instrments, but had a vibrancy that the Harbeths lacked...not bad, given the Harbeths are over 30% more expensive. It just shows how well sorted the UniQ is on them.

So, of the speakers I've heard, I would put them in the following order:

Kef Ref 3

Harbeth 40.2

Kef 205/2

Harbeth SHLS Plus.

.....so I would take the Harbeths over my current speakers, which makes them exceptional. In fact, if I could put them in an 18' x 24' x 11' room, bring them well away from the walls and power them with 12k worth of Accuphase or Luxman, it might easily be a different story.

In the real world, I believe the Ref 3s will sound even better driven by the 35i, in my room of 14' x 22' x 11' and be more suitable, given where they will be placed, than the Harbeths driven by my AVR600....and are substantially cheaper.

Next step is the home dem.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Wow 22' ceiling, did you knock two rooms into one?

I've been waiting for years to tell that joke. I guess I'll be on my way.

Ha Ha *biggrin*

(11ft ceilings - a pain for decorating, but seem to be good for sound). *music2*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Do continue... *BRAVO*

"Writing about music is like dancing about archetecture" - I don't know who said it, but they had a point....so I will do my best to describe the qualities of these two brilliant reference monitors.

First up MDS + AV550 + 40.2s.

We were enveloped with a comforting, fullrange sound. The bass sounded like there was a sub tucked away, the midrange was glorious and there was no fatigue whatsoever. Instruments sounded natural. It produced a sound that I could listen to all day...and it took what I liked about the SLH5+, but elevated it up several notches in every department.

If I was being hyper critical, I still felt I could hear the effect of the cabinet, but to a much lesser extent...and it might have been the AV Amp, or even the size of the room.

Next, I wanted to improve the Source and Amp, to see what happened. So Michael connected an Akurate DSM with a Klimax Power Amp that I'd spotted sitting about. The effect was horrible - highly detailed, but thin and analytical. Unfortunately, I'd bounced him and the Amp hadn't been in use for a week or two and was cold....or at least I hope that was the reason, given its price.

We were so not enjoying this amp, that after about 20 minutes, we changed for a Majik Power Amp - and musicality returned, thank goodness. I preferred ADSM/Majik Amp over MDS/Arcam...which is not really surprising. The Latter sounded cleaner, more detailed and better controlled.

Everthing we played through these Harbeths was engaging and natural and the detail it dug up was truly excellent, living up to its moniker....so how would the Refs do in comparison?....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Trying to make a choice between 2 such quality speakers, is very difficult....given all the variables.

The demo room looked around 12.5ft square, with normal ceilings...and the listening chairs were close to the back wall.

Ref 3 + AMS35i vs 40.2 + AVR600 in a different room is hard to call.....as I can only report on what I heard today in that room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
nice thread I’ve been following it *smile*

are the Kef ref 3s still £7500 And have you seen them any cheaper then that ?

These are the same colour as Ellisdj owns (Black Alu/Copper) and are ex-dem. Mine are still in great nick and worth a bit, so will come down to the price to change.

TRENDING THREADS