Oppo 105 - Is it going to make a difference?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Some photos and specs from HiFi + : http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/first-look-oppo-bdp-105-universalblu-ray-player-dac-hi-fi/

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I really struggle to see what benefit region free players offer. In the past (1998) when I first purchased a DVD player there was a need. I was buying films on DVD that were being shown in the cinema.... Like Blade :)) but with release dates on par with the US, is there a need?

I guess some American box sets are fancy, or perhaps you have existing US films, in that case fair enough.

By the way guys I'm almost pulling the trigger on the 103 :) thought long and hard about the 105, but with all my files on flac piped through my pc, I don't think I need it's CD capabilities. Unless somebody can prove CD playback on the 105 through my AV is superior to flac being piped to it :)

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried to get a demo on one today but only had 103 and wanted to hear back back

if you are streaming flac folder won't the 105 make them sound better ?

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried to get a demo on one today but only had 103 and wanted to hear back back

if you are streaming flac folder won't the 105 make them sound better ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
I really struggle to see what benefit region free players offer. In the past (1998) when I first purchased a DVD player there was a need. I was buying films on DVD that were being shown in the cinema.... Like Blade :)) but with release dates on par with the US, is there a need?

I guess some American box sets are fancy, or perhaps you have existing US films, in that case fair enough.

There are still some films that you can't buy in the UK. Yojimbo being one example. My colleague can probably reel off a list just of the top of his head.

Also, the US edition of The Orphanage is 7.1 whereas the UK is only 5.1.

There are reports that some movies like Jaws and Psycho in the US have a better picture, although I'm not sure if these are region locked or not - I'm just illustrating that there are still differences between US and UK releases.

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
gar1975 said:
have read through this conversation about the oppo players... i'm looking to change my bluray player (pioneer LX71) and have heard a lot about these players. it will only be used for bluray's, so for me its' about the picture & sound quality from blurays.

As your player is a good few years old now, I'm sure you will find them an improvement, especially regarding loading times. I've never found the sharpness control to be very effective with Bluray players, but nothing up the sharpness one notch on these really sharpness up the picture - to the point that the default setting looks quite soft! There's also Contrast Enhancement, which has really improved the preceived black level on my 4 year old PJ, so along with the extra sharpness its almost like I've got a new PJ :)

Im now also enjoying SACD - well, the only disc I own that is SACD! Pretty impressed though, and its ability to stream ripped Blurays faultlessly and smoothly is pretty impressive too.

i will be connecting it into a yamaha z-11. could someone take pity on me and suggest what would be a good replacement for my lx71. have only looked at the hifix website so far, but they don't say anything about multi region bluray, which is a feature i would like, but having said that, it wouldnt be a deal breaker if it wasn't...

When we looked to take on Oppo last year, the only option for multi-region was a "solder job" board, which is something that most people would want the dealer to do. The multi-region upgrade for the new models is just a plug in module that anyone can fit, and with this upgrade being pretty cheap, it probably isn't really worth a dealer supplying and fitting - I think most people will just order the module directly and fit it themselves. So, there is unlikely to be any mention of this on our website.

thank you for getting back to me... i think i will go for the 103, the head says go for the 105, but the wallet says otherwise... not sure i would want to carry out the multi region mod though, i'm a bit useless when it comes to such things. have wanted a machine with dual hdmi outs for a while, it makes sense to me to have one handling picture & the other the sound. am looking forward to a new player & i aint even ordered it yet! =)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting about the orphanage, I never knew that. I will also try and get a hold of Jaws and compare them! I was probably too hasty in my comment earlier.

I can see the allure now and I believe The Terminator was another people complained about, in regards to picture quality.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good! I'm sure the 103 will be more than fulfilling! Dual HDMI is fascinating, I want to test that at home myself..... I'm sure David is posting me one to test as we speak >)

Tim Smith

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I have just set up my new 105 and I have to say it looks and sounds amazing. But one observation on your point of dual HDMI outputs. If you use HDMI for sound then you are taking the sound digitally and surely defeating to point of buying the oppo as you won't be using its Superior DACs. I have mine set up taking the sound out through the analog outputs connected to my amp with Chord Camelion for front and centre and Chord crimson for surrounds and sub. It sounds fantastic ! I can't see why one would buy an expensive player then take the sound to the amp digitally; am I missing something??

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
I too have ordered the oppo 105 and should receive it on the Thursday. I will also using the analogue outs to a naim AV2 processor which doesn't have hdmi's anyway, which was one of the main reasons why I bought the 105. I am really looking forward to what it's going to sound like against the denon 3800BD blu-ray player. :dance:

Tim Smith said:
I can't see why one would buy an expensive player then take the sound to the amp digitally; am I missing something??

No you're not missing anything. If people are looking to buy this player just to connect it via HDMI to the amp, then it's a wasteful purchase. They're better served by the cheaper 103.

Cyruszaydan

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Tim Smith said:
I can't see why one would buy an expensive player then take the sound to the amp digitally; am I missing something??

No you're not missing anything. If people are looking to buy this player just to connect it via HDMI to the amp, then it's a wasteful purchase. They're better served by the cheaper 103.

In fact, If using an Hdmi for connecting the blu ray player to an amp, aren't people better served by buying the Sony bdp 790 or Pioneer bdp 450 and saving even more money? I keep on reading that one blu ray player has a better picture or better sound than another, but then I read it makes no difference if you are using an Hdmi connection.

Cyruszaydan said:
bigboss said:
Tim Smith said:

In fact, If using an Hdmi for connecting the blu ray player to an amp, aren't people better served by buying the Sony bdp 790 or Pioneer bdp 450 and saving even more money? I keep on reading that one blu ray player has a better picture or better sound than another, but then I read it makes no difference if you are using an Hdmi connection.

You're right that there is very little to differentiate in blu ray picture quality between different players. But there is a significant difference in DVD upscaling between players. Also, your decision is based on whether you want a universal player or not.

Cyruszaydan

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Cyruszaydan said:
bigboss said:
Tim Smith said:

You're right that there is very little to differentiate in blu ray picture quality between different players. But there is a significant difference in DVD upscaling between players. Also, your decision is based on whether you want a universal player or not.

Thanks for that bigboss - so basically, If wanted to buy a blu- ray player mainly for Blu-rays and an audio CDs to connect to a pioneer LX 55 receiver and connect using a single HDMI cable, there would be very little difference in the picture and sound quality between a pio BDP 450 and an Oppo 103. Would this especially be the case if I send sound to the receiver as bitstream and let the the receiver do the decoding?

Its only when using analogue connectors letting the Oppo decode and upscaling DVDs when Oppo comes into its own. Is that correct?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Cyruszaydan said:

I agree with what bigboss says - DVD playback varies considerably. But in answer to the above, I can guarantee you that I can set up the 103 or 105 so that it looks noticeably better than the any budget Bluray player.

There's also the point of disc issues - bigger, more mainstream manufacturers will only provide software updates for a limited period - Oppo seem to care about their customers, and won't leave people with expensive players that won't play discs (which seems to be happening at the moment).

Cyruszaydan

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that bigboss - so basically, If I wanted to buy a blu- ray player mainly for Blu-rays and audio CDs to connect to a pioneer LX 55 receiver, and to connect using a single HDMI cable, there would be very little difference in the picture and sound quality between a pio BDP 450 and an Oppo 103?Would this especially be the case if I send sound to the receiver as bitstream and let the the receiver do the decoding?

Its only when using analogue connectors letting the Oppo decode and upscaling DVDs when Oppo comes into its own. Is that correct?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, thank you Pioneer, still cannot play Prometheus 3D |(

I agree with what was said here. I went for a demo of the S790, BDT500 and 715BD. The 715BD completely blew Sony out of the water. The Panasonic was beaten too, but by a lesser margin.

I too was of the same opinon, thinking any player will do the job, but recent demo's have proven otherwise. The detail is especially noticible on CGI, clarity and detail are what you want, and the Cambridge made the others look blurred in comparison.

The tougher challenge is to spot the difference between a £500 and a £1000 player. That I found tougher with Bluray playback.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cyruszaydan said:
Thanks for that bigboss - so basically, If I wanted to buy a blu- ray player mainly for Blu-rays and audio CDs to connect to a pioneer LX 55 receiver, and to connect using a single HDMI cable, there would be very little difference in the picture and sound quality between a pio BDP 450 and an Oppo 103?Would this especially be the case if I send sound to the receiver as bitstream and let the the receiver do the decoding?

If you feed the LX55 receiver from the BDP 450 you can use Pioneer PQLS which definately improves the overall blu ray sound so that is a benefit

I have the BDP LX55 and that has picture adjustment as well - 1 notch up on detail i think improves the pic - gives it more pop probably similar to what you are doing on the 103 - the 450 will likely have this option too.

The only small niggle with the 55 is its movement isnt 100% perfect. now sometimes I am unsure if its a camera issue in filming or a blu ray player issue - sometimes hard to tell - I am trying to test this at the moment

David can you please try the 103 feeding PCM into your Audiolab. I thought you had to do that anyways - I didnt think the Audiolab did the decoding?

Please report back

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
David can you please try the 103 feeding PCM into your Audiolab. I thought you had to do that anyways - I didnt think the Audiolab did the decoding?

Please report back

Thanks

Yes, you have to select PCM conversion on the Bluray player - the Audiolab decodes the PCM signal.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
ellisdj said:

Please report back

Thanks

Yes, you have to select PCM conversion on the Bluray player - the Audiolab decodes the PCM signal.

Thsts the same as My Meridian system - I strongly consdiered the Audiolab but I went with Meridian becuase I already had the M sources MC200/ MS600 and really liked the sound - plus I can confidently keep the signal digital from the source into the processor - that was one of the main factors also because of its room correction, my sub needs it.

How do you find the overall sound presentation?

Have you any experience of the Pioneer LX55?

I really like the player but I find its movement at times is sometimes not 100% perfect when panning - film and scene dependent.

Do you have Breaking Dawn Part 1 on blu ray ? On the menu screen it moves around past the characters faces and the blur when it does it.

I wonder if that is going to happen regardless?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
You've got the brilliant Pioneer LX83 to decode audio; is it then worth spending on the extra audio abilities of the Oppo 105? Only you can answer that. Otherwise, Oppo 103 will offer equal video performance as the 105 at half the price.

A demo is certainly on the cards. :)

duaplex said:
Hey bigboss, great to chat as always.

This is what Im stuggling with. Will I see any gain by having the 105 over the 103? If not, then I will go for the 103?

I do realise that both the quotes above are now more than a month old, but if you go to my post at number 1 on page 3 of the thread "Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player gets 3 stars" I give a link to the Oppo website's press reviews of both the 103 and the 105. (The reviews are very, very good.)

This is what Henry Fielden (Managing Director, Oppo UK) says:

Q: Is the BDP-103EU intended as the entry level player for people trying this stuff out, and the BDP-105EU as the one for exacting audiophiles?

A: The BDP-103EU is aimed at the ‘HDMI customer’. In other words the user who has the player connected directly to a TV or an AV amplifier via HDMI. However, the BDP-103EU does have a very decent 7.1 analogue audio section to allow customers with older non-HD audio amps to take advantage of the new HD audio formats. It’s fair to say that the ‘105EU is aimed more at audiophiles.

For some reason, Son_of_SJ, your link in the other thread doesn't work.

Here's the link again:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/reviews/bdp-103-105eu/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts