OPPO 105 as a hi-fi cd player

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Have been thinking about getting the Oppo 105 to replace my Roksan M2 cd player and my Panasonic Blu-ray player. Anyone have experience of the Oppo and will it do the job of replacing a dedicated hi-fi cd player.

Or maybe even save some money and go for the Oppo 103. I realise the player has a lower audio output spec than the 105, but is the difference noticeable ?

Thanks

Steve

stevee1966 said:
Have been thinking about getting the Oppo 105 to replace my Roksan M2 cd player and my Panasonic Blu-ray player. Anyone have experience of the Oppo and will it do the job of replacing a dedicated hi-fi cd player.

Or maybe even save some money and go for the Oppo 103. I realise the player has a lower audio output spec than the 105, but is the difference noticeable ?

Thanks

Steve

Yes it will is the answer to your first question. It is extremely capable and replaced my Stello DAC and transport combo, which itself was very good.

I have the original 105eu and not the D model as I wasn't interested in the video side of it to that extent.

It is a regular Swiss Army Knife of a machine and will stream over a network, read all manner of silver discs, and take music from a USB pen drive or hard drive.

Basically it is brilliant at most things and easily comparable with your old CD player plus does so much more.

Audition one if you can otherwise buy with confidence. If you can afford it then it's a bit of a no brainer.

Cannot comment on the 103 as never heard one but there's a reason it is cheaper I guess.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I replaced a Tag McLaren DVD32r in my system, no loss of SQ and a massive increase in functionality. Streamer, DAC, and "any file" player all in one.

lt really is worth checking out the increased functionality of the 105 for other ways to play music and films.

My music now normally comes from a hard drive plugged into the Oppo. Flacs, hi-res files.

I also use it as a pre-amp/processor, straight into a power amp.

Multichannel music and DSD files, anyone?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Again, yes it will do a good job as a cd player. I even at one point wanted to upgrade my Oppo player but found out it was even better than most dedicated cd players. Other players sound a bit compressed compared to the sound of the Oppo.

record_spot

Cambridge 752BD. Currently several hundred £ cheaper as new model in, £499 in Richer Sounds, or about £325 refurb on Ebay from a reseller. Performance is terrific and some magazines rate it better than the Oppos of this world. Had mine for a year now and it's excellent. Utilises the Wolfson WM8740. See the AudioEnz review for one example. Differences in audio seem to be very minimal.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
That's a good shout on the Cambridge - real bargain. The Oppo has a couple of extra connectivity options , being a usb DAC and balanced outputs, plus they are arguably better at firmware updates. The Oppo is also heavier! would not say that was worth £600 though! "Fill yer boots"!

record_spot

jmjones said:
That's a good shout on the Cambridge - real bargain. The Oppo has a couple of extra connectivity options , being a usb DAC and balanced outputs, plus they are arguably better at firmware updates. The Oppo is also heavier! would not say that was worth £600 though! "Fill yer boots"!

An extra £600 for ballast? Ouch!

I can't speak for what else the OP wants, but for two channel or m/ch disc playback, then the Cambridge stacks up well. Comparable to the AVI Lab Series CD player I also have which was almost double the cost indeed.

As for the balanced XLR and USB (it does of course have optical and coax digital ins), the latter maybe if that's what the OP needs and just wanted one box and XLRs are great for long cable runs, but debatable over shorter lengths. I use them as my actives are 1/4" inch or XLR.

And of course, £600 buys a lot of new music...! Both are very fine players though, but that £499 is a tough gig for the Oppo and the Wolfson DAC doesn't make it any easier.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree, unless the connection options were paramount, I'd be going for the Cambridge. And I'm an Oppo fanboy! Well spotted on the offer from Richer Sounds.

jmjones said:

It also utilises two of the best DAC chips currently available etc. However that Cambridge is a fair saving if it covers all the OPs requirements.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Just ordered a reburbished CA 752 for £357 with 12 month warranty.

I'll give it ago and even if i decide to keep my current cd player (though chances are i'll now sell it) the CA is a better blu-ray than what i currently use.

Cheers for all replies and information to my original post.

record_spot

They've had the offer periodically over the last year, but it's been pretty frequent over the year as the new model came out. Snapped mine up with the intention of getting rid of the AVI but that's such a nice player too....

Solutions abound though, so an SM M-Patch v2 passive pre was wheeled in and I run both. The latter lets me run the AVI to the AE22s and bypass the AV Onkyo entirely. Love the setup and pretty much done and dusted. Was going to get a better pre but the SM Pro is a real dark horse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts