Looking for a Hi-Fi Setup for a bedroom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Just to make sure, the whirring and clicking sounds are coming from the CD player, not the amp?
If that is a question for us then surely you are in the best position to answer it, not us.

Is the sound emanating from the speakers or is it a mechanical sound from the player itself?

Last edited:

Witterings

Thank you!

Just to make sure, the whirring and clicking sounds are coming from the CD player, not the amp?

You keep asking the same question .... NOBODY on here can answer that .... they haven't heard it and unless they have they can't comment.
Even if they have they won't be able to diagnose it unless they compare it with another system or a replacement of one of the problematic CD's.

You need to test one of the ways I've suggested above, there's NO other way to tell what the cause is.

Reactions: spirit90 and DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
It's coming from the player itself.
You have been given very sound advice by a variety of members. Even an optical drive in a laptop or PC will identify whether the issue is with the player or the discs. Please do what you can to access another spinner before pulling the trigger on replacement CDs or a player and report back with your findings.

Reactions: spirit90

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
You have been given very sound advice by a variety of members. Even an optical drive in a laptop or PC will identify whether the issue is with the player or the discs. Please do what you can to access another spinner before pulling the trigger on replacement CDs or a player and report back with your findings.
Will do. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Okay, update!!

I tested the CDs on an old Sony SS EC69i. Basically an older, cheap stereo.

The problem CDs DID cause the same problems on this stereo. However, they were not as loud.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Okay, update!!

I tested the CDs on an old Sony SS EC69i. Basically an older, cheap stereo.

The problem CDs DID cause the same problems on this stereo. However, they were not as loud.
I think you have found the root cause of your problem - the CDs, which is very strange indeed. If you get the chance to try them in a better quality player then do so. Or as someone previously said on here, if possible copy the CDs and try the copies on your player.

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
I think you have found the root cause of your problem - the CDs, which is very strange indeed. If you get the chance to try them in a better quality player then do so. Or as someone previously said on here, if possible copy the CDs and try the copies on your player.
Is it possible the problematic CDs might be unbalanced? I read about this on another forum.

I want to be able to directly use the CDs. I guess my only options are to buy new ones from a different pressing, or find a CD player so quiet you can't hear them.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Is it possible the problematic CDs might be unbalanced? I read about this on another forum.

I want to be able to directly use the CDs. I guess my only options are to buy new ones from a different pressing, or find a CD player so quiet you can't hear them.
Yes, they can be unbalanced but the only time I have ever encountered this issue is when ripping CDs as the disc is spinning at far higher speeds than a CD player. However, if your CDs were that unbalanced surely the noise you are hearing would last longer than 8 seconds. I believe CDs are played from the centre outwards which means they are spinning at a much lower speed at the start than at the end...this perhaps blows a hole in the unbalanced theory.

You have three options left:
Put up with the noise.
Purchase a different pressing in the hope it plays quietly.
Rip, copy and burn the problem CD to another disc.

Do not purchase another CDP as you'll be wasting your money...you have proven the CDs are at fault, not the player. However, if I had the chance I would try them in a good quality player.

Edit: just a thought, are the CDs warped?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Gray

I believe CDs are played from the centre outwards which means they are spinning at a much lower speed at the start than at the end...
Not sure if that's the right way round Doug.
I've got a textbook that says around 500 rpm for the inner starting track, slowing to around 200rpm when the last track is close to the outside edge - (maintaining a data read velocity of 1.2 metres per second).
Mind you, the same textbook tells me that the maximum time on a CD is 60 minutes - and we all know that's wrong 🤪

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Yes, I've got a textbook that says around 500 rpm for the inner starting track, slowing to around 200rpm when the last track is close to the outside edge - maintaining a data read velocity of 1.2 metres per second.
Mind you, the same textbook tells me that the maximum time on a CD is 60 minutes - and we all know that's wrong 🤪
Ah, cheers Gray. I have it wrong then, it spins faster at the beginning and slows towards the end (y)

Reactions: Jasonovich

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Yes, they can be unbalanced but the only time I have ever encountered this issue is when ripping CDs as the disc is spinning at far higher speeds than a CD player. However, if your CDs were that unbalanced surely the noise you are hearing would last longer than 8 seconds. I believe CDs are played from the centre outwards which means they are spinning at a much lower speed at the start than at the end...this perhaps blows a hole in the unbalanced theory.

You have three options left:
Put up with the noise.
Purchase a different pressing in the hope it plays quietly.
Rip, copy and burn the problem CD to another disc.

Do not purchase another CDP as you'll be wasting your money...you have proven the CDs are at fault, not the player. However, if I had the chance I would try them in a good quality player.

Edit: just a thought, are the CDs warped?
They aren't warped.

I noticed on the other stereo there was less noise, but yes, it seems the CDs are at fault.

Witterings

They aren't warped.

I noticed on the other stereo there was less noise, but yes, it seems the CDs are at fault.

Do you have a computer with a drive you can RIP a copy to ... or a friend that can for you?

If not, do you know anyone that may have a copy of any of the ones that are bad .... last resort buy a copy of the one that's worst and see what it sounds like in comparison .

Jasonovich

Do you have a computer with a drive you can RIP a copy to ... or a friend that can for you?

If not, do you know anyone that may have a copy of any of the ones that are bad .... last resort buy a copy of the one that's worst and see what it sounds like in comparison .
Don't mind me sharing, love CD EZ converter, worth paying £29 licence fee :)

1723392705159.png

Witterings

Don't mind me sharing, love CD EZ converter, worth paying £29 licence fee :)

View attachment 7223

I haven't ripped any CD's for quite a few years as don't relly feel the need with streaming but when I did I just used Windows media player which is free .... unless that's changed and it no longer does it?

Can't remember if it was in this thread or else where but someone commented on buying CD's still ... they're so cheap now I'm almost tempted to buy anything else I've discovered and on't currently own , rip them and then cancel my monthly subscription ... in 10 years time you may find CD's are then worth as much as viynl now.

Reactions: Gray and Jasonovich

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I haven't ripped any CD's for quite a few years as don't relly feel the need with streaming but when I did I just used Windows media player which is free .... unless that's changed and it no longer does it?

Can't remember if it was in this thread or else where but someone commented on buying CD's still ... they're so cheap now I'm almost tempted to buy anything else I've discovered and on't currently own , rip them and then cancel my monthly subscription ... in 10 years time you may find CD's are then worth as much as viynl now.
Been buying CDs for years but have noticed over the last few years the prices of both new and used have started to creep up. Five years ago I could pick up a used CD for 50p + p&p, now £2 upwards.

Jasonovich

Yeah I think you're right, anything that is physical tends to have greater value over a course of time. I still have a lot of CD collections, which I haven't ripped and play these occassionally on the Marantz. I do like the short ceremony, taking CD's out of the jewel case, and giving them a tiny wipe on your bum :)

Yes you're correct, Windows allows you to rip your CD's but you're limited to certain audio formats, not sure it does FLAC but it's free.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Nice Jason, but I prefer freeware like Exact Audio Copy and Foobar :) I see you are a Bryan Ferry admirer (y)
Nice one Doug.
Classic Bryan Ferry, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Bowie. I also like the grunge stuff like Nirvana. I enjoy all types really.

Except Taylor Swift, nice girl, nice.... OK my Benny Hill moment 😂 but all her songs have been crafted and written, only for playing at parties for 10 year olds.

Maybe I'm plain old but I'm seriously struggling to find any music these days that is of quality.

Reactions: Gray and DougK1

Witterings

I do like the short ceremony, taking CD's out of the jewel case, and giving them a tiny wipe on your bum :)

It's fuuny what different people like ... I .... 1000% get people that like to go get the album / CD, look at and read the cover / whatever else was included inside but despite being a complete sports nut when I was younger there are other things I'm just bone lazy about.
My album collection as s kid was a pile of viynl that were never put back in their sleeves / covers and sat in one big pile gathering dust.

I've come back from a 28 mile ride this afternnon (reiterating I'm not that lazy :) ) and tonight and have been watching the TV and am now about to switch to listening to music.
I love the fact I can sit here and bring up absolutely anything I want to play using a mini iPad (bought 2nd hand for BA) and I don't have to move from my seat, whilst I'm playing one song / album I can be flicking theough a choice of 80 million tracks from my comfortable seat.
What's better still is I don't have to put it away afterwards to stop it collecing dust.

I don't know why, but I appreciate it even more in the winter when the log burners going and I don't want to move unless it's put another log on or grab a beer, I was going to say they normally go in tandem but in reality it's probably a 2 to 1 ratio .... I'll let you guess which is the 2 :D

Just funny what everybody's preferences are.

Reactions: Gray and Jasonovich

Witterings

Maybe I'm plain old but I'm seriously struggling to find any music these days that is of quality.

I've thought this for many years, it's not just about the music it's the level of musicianship.
I'm 60 and have played music since a young age, the only instrument I've stuck with is drums.

I used to go to quite a lot of open mic nights where there was a lot of young, incredibly talented musicians ... I was always interested in them and finding out what their influences were.
I was quite shocked when, time after time, non of it was modern music, it was all bands from the 60's, 70's and maybe going into the 80's as well.

The flip side of this, you now have house / rap which is what seems to be getting the exposure and more and more radio airtime and whilst I actually like quite a bit of it, I can't help but think if we keep going in that direction, serious talent may just disappear because they just don't get the exposure they used to.

My children are boy 25 .... the most unlikely person you'd ever think in the world would be a house / rap / garage fan ... his girlfriend isn't, my daughter 23 ... much more older music but also mixed with more modern .... her boyfriend, older stuff i.e. Led Zep to Dire Straits era and buys vinyl.

I think we're sitting on a really weird transitional phase ... possibly much the same as how it changed in the run up to and icluding the Beatles era .... although that seemed to develop more raw talented musicians.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS