To upgrade or not to upgrade that is the question...?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

After having my lovely new LG 55EC930V OLED TV for just over a week now I'm seriously thinking it deserves a better Bluray player than my current Sony BDPS790 but I'm wondering how much I would need to spend on an upgrade if indeed it's even justified in my set up?

Also any suggestions on possible players would be great too although I've not really considered a budget yet but couldn't see it worth spending any more than £400-500 max. Part of me just thinks it's the upgrade bug biting again and that any potential gains would be minimal but hoping you guys will be better placed to advise me. Many thanks in advance.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Hello all,

After having my lovely new LG 55EC930V OLED TV for just over a week now I'm seriously thinking it deserves a better Bluray player than my current Sony BDPS790 but I'm wondering how much I would need to spend on an upgrade if indeed it's even justified in my set up?

Also any suggestions on possible players would be great too although I've not really considered a budget yet but couldn't see it worth spending any more than £400-500 max. Part of me just thinks it's the upgrade bug biting again and that any potential gains would be minimal but hoping you guys will be better placed to advise me. Many thanks in advance.

for bluray play back, spend nothing and keep your Sony. All players output the same if all the processing is switched off. For DVD playback, then this is a different story because this when you use the upscaler in the player and players are different in this respect.

Ive had the pioneer lx71, Panasonic bd50 and now the Denon 3313 and no diffence for bluray, nothing at all. only DVD play back Ive seen a difference in the Denon but nothing to to write home about..

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
The replies you'll get will come from those who categorically deny any differences exist, and those who categorically insist that they do. Some dealers are willing to demo the differences - the pianoguy I think. But wait a minute - you have a PS3 - you should be able to see for yourself if this is bettered by your 790. If it is, then an upmarket Oppo or that new Cambridge thing may well improve things even further.

And good luck with your TV saga....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts