4K bluray player audio output - hdmi or coax?

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I now have a Panasonic UB450 4K bluray player, and would like to get the best audio sound from it. The player has two HDMI outputs, video/audio, or audio only, plus a coax audio out. My LG TV uses e-arc to a Bose tv soundbar. And I have a Naim Uniti Star which has an HDMI input.
Obviously I'd like to have the best sound, and I'm wondering if using the HDMI audio only out connected to my Uniti Star would be better than the coax to my Star, or should I just carry on using the tv/soundbar, please?
I'm only looking for the best detailed clear sound at normal levels, not cinema levels, and while the sound bar is quite good, it can't match my Star/Royd Doublet sound. Also, most music listening is done via Grado SR 325 phones, but it would be great to have the best experience with them, too. If necessary.
Thanks for your advice.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Apologies, I should have said. I only want stereo sound, which will be via my Uniti star amp.
We're not bothered about a multi-channel set up. We don't watch films very often, but 4K is an itch I finally decided to scratch, now we have a suitable telly, and I'm happy with things.
Also, would an ordinary HDMI 2.0 cable be sufficient? Rather than an e-Arc cable? I would need a 4.5 - 5 metre cable, with player output selected to stereo/PCM.

Apologies, I should have said. I only want stereo sound, which will be via my Uniti star amp.
We're not bothered about a multi-channel set up. We don't watch films very often, but 4K is an itch I finally decided to scratch, now we have a suitable telly, and I'm happy with things.
Also, would an ordinary HDMI 2.0 cable be sufficient? Rather than an e-Arc cable? I would need a 4.5 - 5 metre cable, with player output selected to stereo/PCM.
There should be no requirement for an e-Arc cable as far as I can see.

daveh75

The Uniti Star doesn't support eArc looking at it's specs, just Arc, so a HDMI 2.0 cable will suffice

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Thanks, gents, I tried the coax output, and managed to sort the output menu, and set to 192 kHz and it certainly improved the sound, particularly the low frequencies.
I'll get an HDMI cable, just for peace of mind.
So, just like getting a new bit of audio kit, I'll have to try some of my Bluray discs, including Pink Floyd DVDs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts