Oops ...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello. I'm chebby and I bought a Chord C-Power mains lead this week.

I got one from my local dealer's dem room at a substantial discount.

It is British built (not by Chord) to an apparenty impeccable standard (a 'military' standard if their guff is correct).

I just wanted to ask them about getting a replacement 'standard' Naim lead (with MK Safety plug) for £32, but was talked into the Chord with the promise of being able to return it for a full refund if it didn't satisfy.

While you are reeling in disgust I should also reveal I started buying H-fi News & Record Review this week. Lots of good quality articles and reviews and our own Andrew Everard writing for them (along with another favourite of mine in the form of the great Barry Fox.)

Hardly anything I could afford in the magazine but - days later - I am still reading it and finding new stuff to enjoy.

Anyway. There we go. I suppose I am now a fully signed up consumer of 'foo'. I'm not making any silly claims for the mains lead except to say it's really well made and a nice quality thing to use (unlike the 'piece-of-cr#p' mains lead it replaced).

So that's an Audioquest Forest Toslink --> 3.5mm mini-optical cable, VanDamme UP-LC-OFC 4mm2 Hi-fi speaker cables (and Vann Damme 4mm2 'jumpers'), Chord C-Power mains cable and a Hi-fi magazine all in one month! What's happening to me?

Oh yeah, and i'm about to get a Duraplug EXL135BLK 4-way extension* and MK 646-CHA 13A Safety plug. (Will it never end?)

*We had some extensions under our desks PAT tested at work and the only ones that passed were some ancient Duraplug ones from when we moved into the office 14 years ago.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
A lot of things are claimed to be made to military 'standard' but that tends to mean they break down a lot. SA-80 (over half a billion quid to develop), Challenger tank etc.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I had a feeling you couldn't resist.

Still feel there is a 'I'm now over it' moment to come though.

Not quite there yet ... but not far ...

chebby said:

I got one from my local dealer's dem room at a substantial discount.

It is British built (not by Chord) to an apparenty impeccable standard (a 'military' standard if their guff is correct).

I just wanted to ask them about getting a replacement 'standard' Naim lead (with MK Safety plug) for £32, but was talked into the Chord with the promise of being able to return it for a full refund if it didn't satisfy.

While you are reeling in disgust I should also reveal I started buying H-fi News & Record Review this week. Lots of good quality articles and reviews and our own Andrew Everard writing for them (along with another favourite of mine in the form of the great Barry Fox.)

Hardly anything I could afford in the magazine but - days later - I am still reading it and finding new stuff to enjoy.

Anyway. There we go. I suppose I am now a fully signed up consumer of 'foo'. I'm not making any silly claims for the mains lead except to say it's really well made and a nice quality thing to use (unlike the 'piece-of-cr#p' mains lead it replaced).

So that's an Audioquest Forest Toslink --> 3.5mm mini-optical cable, VanDamme UP-LC-OFC 4mm2 Hi-fi speaker cables (and Vann Damme 4mm2 'jumpers'), Chord C-Power mains cable and a Hi-fi magazine all in one month! What's happening to me?

Oh yeah, and i'm about to get a Duraplug EXL135BLK 4-way extension* and MK 646-CHA 13A Safety plug. (Will it never end?)

*We had some extensions under our desks PAT tested at work and the only ones that passed were some ancient Duraplug ones from when we moved into the office 14 years ago.

Hello Mr. Chebby.

What a pity. Us 'Foo Fighters' are decreasing by the day. Nevertheless, enjoy your new purchase.

Yours, Zippy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

I'm fine with it. All good purchases so far in their own way. As I said, i'm not going to make any crazy claims for any of this stuff. (And none of it was exactly expensive.)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:

I'm fine with it. All good purchases so far in their own way. As I said, i'm not going to make any crazy claims for any of this stuff. (And none of it was exactly expensive.)

Cool. I know it's silly but having something a little smarter than a kettle lead hanging out the rear still feels better.

Looking at your average ownership time period I think it's to early for the lovely valve amplifier yet (just read a brilliant 2011 review of a stunning 22w/ch Emille amp, droolworthy) but what about the Thorens?

Ready yet?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Cool. I know it's silly but having something a little smarter than a kettle lead hanging out the rear still feels better.

Looking at your average ownership time period I think it's to early for the lovely valve amplifier yet (just read a brilliant 2011 review of a stunning 22w/ch Emille amp, droolworthy) but what about the Thorens?

Ready yet?

No. I've sold all my vinyl now. Only a substantial lottery jackpot win would induce me to consider all that again. (And that'd be partly for aesthetic reasons.)

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I subscribe to Hi-fi news and recored review as it is a great read. I really enjoed their articles on Van der graaf generator, Howlin Wolf and Andrew Everard review of the Pioneer N-70A in last months mag. It is one of the three Hi-fi mags I subscribe to. The others being Hi-fi choice mag and (you guessed it) What hi-fi sound and vision.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I suppose I am now a fully signed up consumer of 'foo'. I'm not making any silly claims for the mains lead except to say it's really well made and a nice quality thing to use (unlike the 'piece-of-cr#p' mains lead it replaced).

Nah. You bought it for good build quality at a relatively cheap price. I wouldn't consider that foo. You'd have to start preaching about the veil it lifted from the sound of your system, and how you can hear the angels cry when you turn on your amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:
chebby said:

I'm very disappointed. :(

He has the right to return it.

You may yet save his soul.

I fear it's too late for that now.

He's already sold his soul to the devil.

I fear you are right.

I can almost feel the intensive heat and burn of valves.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:
chebby said:

I'm very disappointed. :(

He has the right to return it.

You may yet save his soul.

I fear it's too late for that now.

He's already sold his soul to the devil.

I fear you are right.

I can almost feel the intensive heat and burn of valves.

We can easily test that.

Chebby,

What are the changes in sound quality with the new cable?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Not quite departed the bus station yet.

It takes an epiphany of some sorts to switch sides. I'm thinking his is yet to occur in the following weeks as the wire breaks in.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Speaking froma position of experience here, I have to say there are a few items of equipment that have made the headlines in some newspapers with regard to their unreliablility. That said, when you consider the millions of items procured by the MoD are used in very demanding environments and most pass muster.

So, yes I would say your wide of the mark in your statement. MoD items keep servicemen alive!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:

It takes an epiphany of some sorts to switch sides. I'm thinking his is yet to occur in the following weeks as the wire breaks in.

We're in the denial phase.

Acceptance is the first step towards recovery.

He'll soon be absorbed by the dark force, where he can talk to like minded people, such as myself :).

That crown amplifier on the other thread reads impressive. Good at low volume? My cyrus (and some other hifi gear) does excel there. Dynamic and alive sounding. What do you recon this watt monster sounds like at household friendly volume ... ?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:

He'll soon be absorbed by the dark force, where he can talk to like minded people, such as myself :).

That crown amplifier on the other thread reads impressive. Good at low volume? My cyrus (and some other hifi gear) does excel there. Dynamic and alive sounding. What do you recon this watt monster sounds like at household friendly volume ... ?

The fan noise is a deal breaker for any music listening bellow 80dB. If you replace the fans with quiet ones they wont cool it efficiently and then the cheap Chinese caps begin popping, so better stick to the 2x24V jet engine loud fans (44dbA+ each). Annoying. Other than that and ugly, the sound is endgame. You can drive 1 ohm loads and with zero distortion, the cleanest most dynamic possible sound with fast realistic transient attacks.

But then you want to play some jazz standards and you have to switch back to the good old quiet and civilized 90W Sony ES.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:

The fan noise is a deal breaker for any music listening bellow 80dB. If you replace the fans with quiet ones they wont cool it efficiently and then the cheap Chinese caps begin popping, so better stick to the 2x24V jet engine loud fans (44dbA+ each). Annoying. Other than that and ugly, the sound is endgame. You can drive 1 ohm loads and with zero distortion, the cleanest most dynamic possible sound with fast realistic transient attacks.

But then you want to play some jazz standards and you have to switch back to the good old quiet and civilized 90W Sony ES.

But ... I dont have 1ohm loads :) (and I use, at a guess, probably 1/4 to 1/2 of a watt for average listening, must measure that)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The fan noise is a deal breaker for any music listening bellow 80dB. If you replace the fans with quiet ones they wont cool it efficiently and then the cheap Chinese caps begin popping, so better stick to the 2x24V jet engine loud fans (44dbA+ each).

That's why I'd stick with the XLS line. There's virtually no chance of getting the fans to kick in, so no need to worry about replacing them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ajani said:
Vladimir said:
The fan noise is a deal breaker for any music listening bellow 80dB. If you replace the fans with quiet ones they wont cool it efficiently and then the cheap Chinese caps begin popping, so better stick to the 2x24V jet engine loud fans (44dbA+ each).

That's why I'd stick with the XLS line. There's virtually no chance of getting the fans to kick in, so no need to worry about replacing them.

On the XLS 802D they run constantly, just in 2 different speeds. The SMPS powered Class D and H amps are quieter but not as good at driving low impedance loads. On the Behringer amps the fans are deafening. This is why the cheap A500 is so popular. Convex cooling on external heatsinks and classical linear PSU with a chunky transformer, bipolar trannies in Class AB.

These beasts are not for you DM. Unless you need something that doubles down as a leaf blower and pipe welder.

If I was in the US I would snag a Crown K2 in a second. No fans or heatsinks. Broadcasting studio quiet amp with all the power that you will ever need in a home environment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts