OLED TV - Permanent image retention

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My Sony LCD TV is over 7 years old and I am looking to replace it soon. The picture performance of OLED is very good, but I am concerned about screen burn (permanent imge retention) when viewing any sort of static content, such as channel logos or news banners.

Rtings are currently conducting a long term test and the screen burn starts to appear after just 4 weeks. It is quite a severe test as it is almost continuous, and they found the cleaning cycles did not help.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Any real world experience of this ?

D

Deleted member 2457

I have owned 4 Oled TVs now and not had any problems. They are fantastic to be honest. Just play it safe and take precautions and you should be fine.
regular_smile.png

D

Deleted member 2457

One was just full HD, the next wasn’t very good with 4K being first gen, the next was excellent and the fourth was a bargain. Four
regular_smile.png

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
I have owned 4 Oled TVs now and not had any problems. They are fantastic to be honest. Just play it safe and take precautions and you should be fine.

You rarely kept any of them long enough for screen burn to be an issue. Heck, I bet you didn't even have to dust most of 'em *biggrin*

gel said:
You shouldn’t have to “play it safe”! When you buy a TV, you shouldn’t have to be selective about the programmes you watch and the timing of those programmes in order to stop screen burn. Manufacturers should be responsible for screen burn, as it’s a negative product of their technology.

D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
gel said:
You shouldn’t have to “play it safe”! When you buy a TV, you shouldn’t have to be selective about the programmes you watch and the timing of those programmes in order to stop screen burn. Manufacturers should be responsible for screen burn, as it’s a negative product of their technology.
I was meaning gaming too but I know what you mean.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
davidf said:
gel said:
I was meaning gaming too but I know what you mean. And leaving it on pause for an hour or so must people who have screen burn and image retention ask for it in my view. And leaving the screen on vivid setting or dynamic is just asking for it too. And if you have an Xbox One for example the games to ages to load, that’s just asking for it too.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Is IR really still a problem? I watch loads of discovery programmes and sky news etc, and they have all the banners and logos and I have no issue with my plasma! Yeah, in earlier models it was a problem, and surely the new OLEDs have a screen setting such as the pixel orbiter thst are on panasonic pdps..?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts