Oh NO! Cables again!!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ToppingSMSL

Oct 10, 2024
Visit site
It's nice to have the science (Resistance, Inductance, Capacitance relatively low) balanced with subjectivity.

I have tried so many types of cabling, QED, AudioQuest, Chord, generic wiring and many I fail to recall but these faux Nordost Valhalla 2s I got from AliExpress have really impressed me.

I highly recommend them :)

View attachment 7606
Subjectivity is flawed. But if you like the look of something and it makes you feel happy then good.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Subjectivity is flawed. But if you like the look of something and it makes you feel happy then good.
Yes definitely agree, subjectivity is flawed. If only we can measure subjectivity then maybe this whole cable debate can be put to bed for good.:sneaky:

If you look beyond the parapet, subjectivity is immersed in HiFi, not just in cabling.
It's like the fuse that ignites our passion for Hifi, is it imagined or is it real?

What is subjectivity? Is it not a perception or reflection of your own personal baseline that defines good sound?

If I may paint a scenario, a group of people collectively go to a speaker audition in their local Hifi dealership and following this, it is likely; the group will draw their own conclusions about the sound quality. Change the positioning of the speakers or wire them up with different cables; how many will detect the difference, if any?
There may be some saying, Oh yeah much better and the other group claiming zilch difference. Maybe the differences are subtle, so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyse?
So what matters, and you are correct if it makes you feel happy then that is good :)

podknocker

I agree people have the right to feel happy with their purchase, but as it stands, nobody has EVER proven a change in speaker cable has made a difference.

I'm still waiting for someone on this forum, or another, to show expensive cables improve sound quality.

I still defy anyone to prove, with blind testing and without error, that these cables make a difference.

Reactions: DougK1

Jasonovich

I wonder what cables they're using for this McIntosh system?
I bet it's not coat hanger wire! :ROFLMAO:
Love the green glow and Rose Streamer DAC, seems like a marriage made in heaven.

Still, we shouldn't get too hang up on speaker/interconnect cables, because things like speaker performance, voice coil inductance, speaker crossovers, and others have a much more significant impact on sound quality but relatively speaking, it's not's to say cables are not important, it's all part of the greater chain.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/HxSjXGo7qI4?si=-LMNyphmgMyQjOWQ

Last edited:

ToppingSMSL

Oct 10, 2024
Visit site
Yes definitely agree, subjectivity is flawed. If only we can measure subjectivity then maybe this whole cable debate can be put to bed for good.:sneaky:

If you look beyond the parapet, subjectivity is immersed in HiFi, not just in cabling.
It's like the fuse that ignites our passion for Hifi, is it imagined or is it real?

What is subjectivity? Is it not a perception or reflection of your own personal baseline that defines good sound?

If I may paint a scenario, a group of people collectively go to a speaker audition in their local Hifi dealership and following this, it is likely; the group will draw their own conclusions about the sound quality. Change the positioning of the speakers or wire them up with different cables; how many will detect the difference, if any?
There may be some saying, Oh yeah much better and the other group claiming zilch difference. Maybe the differences are subtle, so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyse?
So what matters, and you are correct if it makes you feel happy then that is good :)
Your scenario is for loudspeaker which are measurably different - and speaker positioning also gives different measurements.

Subjectivity is flawed because of: confirmation bias, placebo effect, and other psychological factors.

Cables are a big indicator of this. There is just no way different speaker cables that all have good RIC (resistance, Inductance and Capacitance) figures are going to sound different in your system. Yet people frequently claim they do. That is confirmation bias and placebo effect in action.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts