NOTTINGHAN ANALOGUE SPACEDECK and other things of possible interest.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
There are several reviews on the internet for the Space Deck. Have you got any, What Hi-Fi, or do you intend to do any reviews of it?

Also what about the SRM Tech Arezzo turntable that gets such good reviews and is sold via eBay? Have you got any plans to review it, What Hi-Fi?

My ex-wife bought a Sony W3000 40" LCD and it was very ordinary through SCART, not much better via the same Denon 1920 upscaled to 720p and worse via 1080i. The best picture was obtained by setting Denon to SD output of 576p and letting the Sony upscale the input to 768 lines. Food for thought as to what constitutes the best upscaler!

Finally, here, I connected a Meridian 506.20 via a Linn AV5103 home cinema pre-amp on loan for possible purchase. I just removed the amp to pre-amp leads from the back of my existing Linn Kairn Pro and patched them straight into the 5103 and powered it all up. The sound was better in most respects but not all. However, when I removed the interconnects solely from the AV5103 (the interconnects were never removed from my Chord power amp, which had been powered down, of course, for each connection/disconnection) and reconnected them to the Kairn and powered up, there was a strong buzzing through the speakers. My interconnects were seemingly at fault and when I touched them the buzzing subsided but didn't disappear entirely. I checked them out, as well as every other item connected to the Linn and Chord units. So, I replaced these original leads with older Linn leads and the buzzing vanished but the sound closed in and lost clarity. As an experiment, I removed the left Linn interconnect re-inserted one of the seemingly now faulty original interconnects. I'd zeroed the Kairn's volume to 0dbs and had left the Chord on. When I connected, firstly, to the Chord the buzz returned but it vanished completely when I attached the other end to the Kairn! The same occurred for the right channel - it was as if one or both of the units had retained some form of memory or created a type of fault condition owing to the non-removal of BOTH ends of the interconnects. All is now fine. Incidentally, I'd reversed the speaker leads, as required, as the Kairn inverts the power signal output.

Unusual, hey? Any comments from you smarter guys and gals out there, especially from you What Hi-Fi personnel?

John Duncan

I heard a SpaceDeck once, it was fabulous. Tricky to accommodate though.

You might want to split these questions into different forums, though, since I can't help with the rest
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts