Advice needed on upgrade Yamaha RX-A840 to Yamaha RX-A2A

mikyinz

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Yamaha RX-A840 bought 2014 and I would like to upgrade to enable Dolby Atmos in conjunction with my LG 65C14K oled 2021 tv.

Basically the Yamaha just does the surround sound 5.1 and its connected to NaimNAC202/203 which I use for my Linn LP12,CD player and Antipodes music server.

Was thinking of the of the Yamaha RX-A2A AVENTAGE 7.2-channel AV Receiver as it suits my budget.

Would I notice much of a difference between my 9 year old RX-A840 to the newer RX-A2A.

Advice needed as this would probable be one of my last upgrades.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Probably not an upgrade and possibly a downgrade. You need to take inflation into account. A £800 amp then is a £1200+ amp now.

Discovered this when I tried to "upgrade" my Yam 7 series to a Denon 3600. Great reviews and thought tech improvements would mean better souding amps. Big mistake. Sounded terrible in comparison.

Ended up buying a Richer Sounds refurb Yam at double the price. Refurb to keep the price down and it had the same guarantee. It was still beans on toast for months after that spend. But I couldn't be happier.

mikyinz

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I decided against getting the Yamaha RX-A2A AVENTAGE 7.2. And bought the Marantz Cinema 60 instead in December last year.
I had problems with setting up with LG 65C14K oled 2021 tv. And had a TVAV guy tried to get it all connected, spent over an hour resetting LG TV etc sort of got it working but still not right. Had the guy I purchased from round and he basically gave up 1st attempt (blaming the HDMI connections)and then sent his assistant to try and sort which did get it all working.
But Iv'e basically got Intel Nuc, Firestick 4k TV and Sky TV all connected to HDMI connections on the TV. And only got Apple TV connected to Marantz. Which I control from the Marantz remote, and if I need the sound from the existing TV HDMI I just turn on Marantz and press TV Audio.
Originally I bought the Marantz thinking I could control it from one box, but it's not very easy. I'm hoping my wife will be able to use it but I'm finding it very hard.
Basically I would like the TV to act just as a monitor but the smart TV kicks in.
Any advice please?

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Basically I would like the TV to act just as a monitor but the smart TV kicks in.
Any advice please?
Congrats on the new amp :)
I'm a projector guy and they're effectively monitors so a bad person to ask. Hopefully, one of the regulars can help.
Anyone here got an LG 65C14K?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts