New/pre owned amp required ??

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Having recently upgraded the CD player and speakers in my system the only remaining component from my previous set up is now under the mircoscope so's to speak, is it up the task ?? I'm finding myself listening to music at quiet high levels and I think the amp is losing grip on the speakers, at only 25 Watts I'm thinking that I perhaps need more POWER as Mr Jezzer Clarkson would say. As far as music I listen to its abit middle of the roadish I guess, Dire Straits, Genesis, Niel Diamond, Elton John with abit of modern stuff thrown in(perhaps I should stop there )Not sure how much I should be thinking of spending, maybe go down the flea bay route. Would be interested in peoples opinions. Thanks

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
What about an Arcam Alpha 9 ? Theres one or two on fleebay at the mo, would that be an inprovement on my current A1 ?

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n how about the Arcam A75 ?? would that be a significant improvement on my A1 ? As funds are short for the moment (next six months) I'm looking at buying used.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd stick with the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps if you can find them on Ebay

I'n my opinion, theyre better sounding then the A75, but other people will more than likely disagree.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]d_a_n, did you see my latest reply to your phono stage question?[/quote]

Hi mate, sorry for late reply.

I saw the post but things have gone on a back burner currently

John Duncan

[quote user="d_a_n1979"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]d_a_n, did you see my latest reply to your phono stage question?[/quote]

Hi mate, sorry for late reply.

I saw the post but things have gone on a back burner currently[/quote]

I hear you.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Am I really the only sane person here Mr Duncan?

Why dont you buy the matching EVO amp? Its actually a very decent amplifier and only looses a little bit of refinement and detail to costlier choices such as creeks own destiny or something like a cyrus 8. It matches your player and looks good on a rack.

Have you auditioned the two matching evos together before settling on the player and have a reason for not choosing it?

If not, you find the 'lack of warmth' compared to your MF initially perhaps a little bit concerning but you soon get used to it and after a while you'd probably miss the extra resolution, power and grip the creek posesses. I urge you to listen to one if you have'nt done so already.

There you go, as easy as that.

John Duncan

[quote user="drummerman"]Am I really the only sane person here Mr Duncan?[/quote]

Not today, cos I'm 100% with you - wouldn't be surprised if the A50iR is the same amp as the Evo internally! Creek amps are fabulous - Evo, A50iR, whichever you can get in the right colour for the right price
emotion-1.gif

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
I'm confused, went into Sevenoaks today and explained that I'd recently upgraded my CDP and speakers and now felt that the amp was "letting the side down" and he said there was no real point in spending £400/£500 as my Musical Fidelity A1 yes the original one you can fry eggs and cook burgers on was as good as todays amps in that £400/500 price bracket and suggested I need to be looking at the MF X-T100 or even a Primare ??

Am now trawling t'internet in search of 2nd higher end stuff, anyone heard of Magnum amps (I think they're british)

Please someone help me decide......

John Duncan

As an owner (or more correctly, drawer-hoarder) of a well-regarded amp that cost the same as an A1 in those days, I disagree. 1) The MF loses it at high volumes (source - musicalfidelity.com) and 2) amps degrade over time (source - my drawer). Ask them to put their money where their mouth is and lend you a five hundred quid amp for the day. If they're right, you'll bring it back and trade up. I think if you heard a Creek Evo or Rotel RA-06 or even a Marantz PM6002 (sp?), you'd buy one of them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="huddo"]I'm confused, went into Sevenoaks today and explained that I'd recently upgraded my CDP and speakers and now felt that the amp was "letting the side down" and he said there was no real point in spending £400/£500 as my Musical Fidelity A1 yes the original one you can fry eggs and cook burgers on was as good as todays amps in that £400/500 price bracket and suggested I need to be looking at the MF X-T100 or even a Primare ?? Am now trawling t'internet in search of 2nd higher end stuff, anyone heard of Magnum amps (I think they're british) Please someone help me decide......[/quote]

You are bouncing about like a jojo. Try some amps at home, listen and buy what to your ears sounds best ok. Sevenoaks should assist you in this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts