new amp ideas..roksan k2bt,rega elex r, or??

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my amp.I love my amp,so this might not happen just yet,but I do know it lacks something,such as more separation of instruments and soundstage would be a plus.although the brio r does have these,but not at the levels of some others,so might not really be needed. I think the main thing is that sometimes the overall sound of the music,mostly the midrange,is just too high. I heard the old roksan k2 briefly and it sounded very rounded and warm,and imagining less high pitched in the mids. I have followed Vlad's views on the bt and it has made me wonder! Most of the reviews are very good,with toneaudio giving it an award for value,at its rrp. I can possibly get hold of one for £650 new.

Or should I wait until the day I can afford to look at the elex r? I do love the sweet sound of rega, and the clarity on the brio r blows me away and makes me very happy.

Other amps I have considered are the abrahansen one for about £500 I think.

I'm thinking a bit more power would grip my dyns more and get more from them.

I purchased dark side of the moon in a sainsburys the other day...for the first time, and sadly it didn't sound great on my system...again,it was just too high pitched. Other times my system blows me away...as mentioned.

Thanks for help... :)

This seems like a real conundrum. First thing I'd suggest it get down to your nearest Rega outlet and listen to the Apollo-R, and compare that directly with your Cambridge.

IMO, it is a process of elimination, finding the weak area. Rega generally sound tremendous when partnered with sibling components. By the same token, Cambridge Audio stuff, again, thrive with the matching amp. IME, Cambridge doesn't mix that well with other brands.

Before splashing out on a new or replacement amp, find the weak spot first.

matthewpiano

I suspect PP may be on to something. The Apollo-R is a perfect partner for the Brio-R and together they just make music. Certainly it would be worth trying at your dealer to see if that does the trick.

If not, then you need to set in for some serious auditioning. I think you need to focus on amps that could potentially give you more of what you like about the Brio-R, so the Elex-R should definitely be on the listening list.

Perhaps you should also try some different speakers as another alternative...

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

This seems like a real conundrum. First thing I'd suggest it get down to your nearest Rega outlet and listen to the Apollo-R, and compare that directly with your Cambridge.

IMO, it is a process of elimination, finding the weak area. Rega generally sound tremendous when partnered with sibling components. By the same token, Cambridge Audio stuff, again, thrive with the matching amp. IME, Cambridge doesn't mix that well with other brands.

You might be right pp, but my other sources sound a little bright in the midrange too sometimes.ie: radio and streaming, so I don't think a newplayer give the effect I am after.

Anyhoo, it looks like i missed the boat anyway, all the bts have now sold ans they are discontinued at richer. I think the £300 off made it a bargain i should have gone for. :-( will how have to wait for the sales but I can't see anyone getting close to that price again. Darn it!

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The Rega Elex-R should give significantly greater detail, space, separation, and musicality. If you like the Brio-R, you should like the Elex-R even more. But in the end you just have to test it for yourself, with your system.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
plastic penguin said:

You might be right pp, but my other sources sound a little bright in the midrange too sometimes.ie: radio and streaming, so I don't think a newplayer give the effect I am after.

Anyhoo, it looks like i missed the boat anyway, all the bts have now sold ans they are discontinued at richer. I think the £300 off made it a bargain i should have gone for. :-( will how have to wait for the sales but I can't see anyone getting close to that price again. Darn it!

It does not pay to rush into buying hifi. The RK is OK, lots of power for the money but for me it lacked clarity, maybe its dullness would have suited you. Other amps to consider are Creek 50A, Croft Integrated and Arcam A19. As for the Brio R, what sort of volume are you using it at?

As for brightness, how is you room furnished?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Elex-R is 22Wpc more powerfull than the Brio-R. You only start to get maybe 100Wpc in 8 ohms with the Elicit-R (only 80W usefull at -/+3dB).

Elex-R is 72Wpc in 8 ohms both channels driven.

Brio-R is 50Wpc in 8 ohms both channels driven.

Rega has not included any THD specified for these measurements. So if the Brio-R is 50Wpc at 0.05% THD, they can add the same amp in a bigger box and claim power 72Wpc at 1% THD, just not publish the THD data.

On visual inspection the Elex-R is litteraly a Brio-R in a bigger box, with lots of unprinted filler PCB.

Even if they did achieve more power at same THD with the same amplifier (which might be because of the better cooling and minor tweaks), 22W more... hmm. If that is significantly more muscular, imagine what extra 90W would do! Scary.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
radiorog said:
plastic penguin said:

It does not pay to rush into buying hifi. The RK is OK, lots of power for the money but for me it lacked clarity, maybe its dullness would have suited you. Other amps to consider are Creek 50A, Croft Integrated and Arcam A19. As for the Brio R, what sort of volume are you using it at?

I have heard the a19 and it didn't work at all with my speakers.no bass.

I listen at lowish levels due to size of room.when auditioning the brio r in a larger room I had the volume at 12 or 1 o'clock. I was really surprised when I got it home I mostly listen to it with volume at 8oclock.if I'm getting ready for raving...I might push it to 10!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The Elex-R is 22Wpc more powerfull than the Brio-R. You only start to get maybe 100Wpc in 8 ohms with the Elicit-R (only 80W usefull at -/+3dB).

Elex-R is 72Wpc in 8 ohms both channels driven.

Brio-R is 50Wpc in 8 ohms both channels driven.

Rega has not included any THD specified for these measurements. So if the Brio-R is 50Wpc at 0.05% THD, they can add the same amp in a bigger box and claim power 72Wpc at 1% THD, just not publish the THD data.

On visual inspection the Elex-R is litteraly a Brio-R in a bigger box, with lots of unprinted filler PCB.

Even if they did achieve more power at same THD with the same amplifier (which might be because of the better cooling and minor tweaks), 22W more... hmm. If that is significantly more muscular, imagine what extra 90W would do! Scary.

Interesting...thanks for your input Vlad.

Anyone any ideas if I'm likely to see many reductions in the apres Christmas sales?

Thanks.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
radiorog said:
plastic penguin said:

..and I know what you are saying bigh, but I'm kicking myself,thinking I could have bought it,and if it wasn't for me,I could get almost all of the money back on resale.also I think richer have a 28 trial period??

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the ports on the Dyns plugged with foam and at what listening height are the speakers compared to your ears when sitting?

If I had your setup I would try the speakers with no foam plugs and flipped, tweeter down and woofer up.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
No plugs.no booming now although when system was new I did have booming...but gone now.

Now wait for it.....due to limited space I have one speaker with tweeter at belly height when standing and one 1foot above my head. When sitting, one tweeter is ear height and other is prob 3feet above me! Not perfect, but it sounds pretty good!

I heard the k3 today very briefly and with the tannoy dc6 it sounded bright! I'm sure this was due to speakers,but made me think maybe roksan aren't as dull as I had thought before...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
BigH said:
radiorog said:
plastic penguin said:

..and I know what you are saying bigh, but I'm kicking myself,thinking I could have bought it,and if it wasn't for me,I could get almost all of the money back on resale.also I think richer have a 28 trial period??

Richers do have a return policy but you either have to exchange it for something else they sell or pay a fee which maybe 10%. I mention volume because I found the Brio amp after about 11 to sound harsh/bright. Thats funny you say that about the A19 not heard that before about bass, in which case the Creek 50A is probably not for you as that has slightly less bass than the A19. If you want the RK I would keep looking around, some dealers buy up end of line stock or Richers may get a return.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
When I was auditioning the brio r I had the volume up to 12 (yes the brio goes to twelve) and it never sounded harsh...I think the dyns neutralise any harshness in my set up if there is any. In fact,as good as the system can sound at low volumes,once at nine oclock the bass ports really start to work on the speakers the deep bass can become very imprrssive. Yeah,im not sure ehy the arcam sounded so bad,it was right out of the box so maybe this was why,but maybe the 4ohm speakers killed the bass?maybe it was the freezing cold room?! If I see a bargain like the richer one I will be very tempted.as richer have discontinued the product,do you think others will be doing the same soon?are there going to any bts left in a year?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
Vlad, how is the bt at low volumes?

Sounds full and I don't feel I need a loudness option turned on. The channel imbalance can't be more than 1 or 2 dB to my ears. I don't feel any channel being louder.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
Now wait for it.....due to limited space I have one speaker with tweeter at belly height when standing and one 1foot above my head. When sitting, one tweeter is ear height and other is prob 3feet above me! Not perfect, but it sounds pretty good!

I don't mean to offend, but there is no way I could live with a set up like that. I would seriously look at getting both speakers equally positioned and at the correct height for your ears when sitting down before looking to spend around £600 on an amp.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:

What do you have your speakers on?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts