new integrated amp or just a phono stage?

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
so... finally I purchased a new TT, new speakers but what about the amp?

My hi-fi system is currently the folloing and I use it mainly to listen to my vinyl records:
Integrated Amplifier: Sony TA-FE570
Speakers: Def Tech Sm45
Turntable: Pro-ject debut carbon esprit DC SB (with Ortofon 2M red)
CD Player: Samsung DVD 360 (don't get me wrong but I have just a small number of CDs thus I use this cheap device instead of a proper audio cd player)

While the sound I get from CDs through the cheap Samsung DVD player connected to the Sony amp is brilliant and 3D in my ears, the sound from TT is abit flatter and 2D.

so I was thinking to take one of the two following options:
-purchase the second hand phono stage Pro-ject Tube Box SE II that I found in a great condition for 130gbp. This is my first option as the Sony amp seems to perform great (in my ears) with the cheap Samsung DVD when reproducing CDs but not so good with the TT. Probably the integrated phono stage is the weakest link (not the entire Amp)
-or purchase a new integrated Amp "Marantz PM6005". Marantz is known for good quiality phono stages in their integrated amps

obviously there are many other options outside but I don't have the budget and the chance to try before I buy. Thus I will kindly ask for your opinionsadvices that will help me to take my decisions

Thank you in advance for your assistance

PS: As the music styles and preferences should be taken into consideration when choosing hifi components, my personal preferences are mainly into indie-pop, new wave, post punk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts