New Amplifier; Upgrade from Caspian M2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

I'd like to listen to a Leema Tucana, I know PP and Joel are big fans.

I need to visit a shop in Hereford; they sell both Leema and MF. I'll then have a good reference of M2 -> M6si/SIA250, M6si -> Tucana II

A demo of the AMS Cno is probably not possible on the basis it's no longer made, and unlikely any left on a shelf anywhere, would be like looking for rocking horse effluent.

I haven't figured out the Plinius yet, hopefully someone in the west mids if I'm up there looking at the devialet.

SteveR750

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Steve

You should also consider and try Hegel's new H160 amp/DAC and also their H300 amp/DAC. The Hegel's will rein in and firm up the performance your speakers particularly with their tight fisted, punchy and powerful bass

H160 is just top VFM

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick, I missed your post earlier. I'll investigate further.

I have also been intrigued by a Densen B-175, that was compared to the devialet in HF+ review. There are not many amps that genuinely double the power into half the impedance, buit with a 750VA transformer it's not surprising perhaps. The M2 has a 350VA rated unit, but is rated at around 70% of the Densens rated output. It's full of Vishay films, and custom / in house made capacitors.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
A demo of the AMS Cno is probably not possible on the basis it's no longer made, and unlikely any left on a shelf anywhere, would be like looking for rocking horse effluent.

I wasn't really trying to push you further, but putting the Moon i7 into some sort of context. Given the 35i is discontinued, your reasoning is more than understandable.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I really want to audition the Devialet. Where is David?! (I've sent a request thing through the Devialet website). Coventry next!

Be sure to try the Dev with a pair of D18s (or other SAM-ready ProAcs) and switch SAM on and off when demoing -- Frank Harvey stock ProAc too, right?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Esra said:
Ever heard a modern class d or hybrid?Auralic Merak,NAD M22/M12,NAD M2,T+A Poweramp balanced,some newer AVM stuff,Peachtree grand x1 to name some.Give them a listen if you can.Maybe there is something within you are just looking for.

Like Esra, I think the NAD M12 + M22 combo would also be worth your attention. The M22 is the first commercially available power amp with the Hypex nCore NC400 module.

Though to be frank, to me the Devialet package looks more appealing for the money (the streamer, SAM, ... and that remote!)

iceman16

SteveR750 said:
iceman16 said:
SteveR750 said:
Ice, I realise that, but it needs to be one step at a time. At the moment, I'm of the opinion that the amp tonal balance is lost in the new room, the Acs are not overly bright - I've tried a NAD C390D and an A19 remember a couple of years ago, I'm afraid the latter was dull to my ears in every sense. The NAD was livelier, but lacked any sense of scale and rhythm, it was a tad boring to listen to. The M2 is exciting, juts a little too much at times.

The M6si is apparently a more forward lively presentation than the M6i. The 500i is also more laid back and smoother than the si (this was MF talking, not my words). From what I have read the 6si is a fuller sound than the IAS250 as well, so on paper the 6si is where I'd like to be - a warmer version of the M2 with a bit more wallop for those louder evenings, which to be fair are few and far between, and involve copious amount of red wine and Spotify.....

I really want to audition the Devialet. Where is David?! (I've sent a request thing through the Devialet website). Coventry next!

Steve.. Im not speaking for Cno or whatever.."pure" class A is at it is. You want boom and base there are some, you want tizz, there's a lot.. the AMS does'nt do it neither. It's the "fluid" and soft with detail and punch that captures me!

Boom and Tizz. I've not heard any system yet that doesn't have an element of that which reminds you it's not the real thing live, but I understand what you are saying. The HPAP is after all a min pure class A amp, and I know how good that is. You cannot buy a new AMS35i, that much I have established today, so it's used only. The problem (for me) is that Class A with what I *think* is sufficient power is lots of £££. I can envisage spending up to around £3k on upgarding the amp, but then the DAC needs attention, and at the price, built in DACs are going to be a compromise (obviously if you're also designing and selling seprate boxes)

Steve..I only use dac( chord gem) in my bedroom, BUT for serious listening.. the AMS?..

SteveR750

Rick, the Helga 160 looks brilliant value. It could replace the M2, the DM+ AND the M1 HPA

HiFi+ review is certainly a fan. The connectivity options (like the Devialet) is really appealing. I only have one analogue IN in use on the M2 and that's the DM+

My only reservation is the DAC - I'm a big fan of async ASIO which works really well with J River. I guess I can always switch back to optical, but at some point the ASUS pc will die, and it's an expensive option. USB is "free".

SteveR750

The M6si of crossed off the list. It's too close to the M2, albeit an different presentation. Smoother, slightly deeper bass, but warmer and more laid back. The M2 is the one if you like it to be fast and tight and rhythmical - it's the foot tapper of the two. The ATC was in an altogther different league, much greater bandwidth, better detail, focus, soundstage so that initially everytning sounds slightly slower. It's not oif course, just so much more time or space to hear everything better. It was easily my choice of the day, although got to listen to the Nu Vista 800. Very smooth and extended, even more so than the ATC as expected, but suspect the Caspian CDP and ProAc D20R were holding everything back at this stage. A very brief look at the ATC SCM40 active speakers, too big a change in many ways right now, but I had a glimpse of the future perhaps.

Next up, the Hegel H160. Even if their DAC architecture isn't as radical as professed, I like their openeness about what they believe in, and how they go about doing it. I happen to like the ultra connectivity: DNLA (for phone) USB 2, Toslink, Phone, balanced XLR in and out, built in DAC, and a properly designed headphone amp. One box to replace three, and the potential to drive a pair of big active speakers via the balanced outs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
The M6si of crossed off the list. It's too close to the M2, albeit an different presentation. Smoother, slightly deeper bass, but warmer and more laid back. The M2 is the one if you like it to be fast and tight and rhythmical - it's the foot tapper of the two. The ATC was in an altogther different league, much greater bandwidth, better detail, focus, soundstage so that initially everytning sounds slightly slower. It's not oif course, just so much more time or space to hear everything better. It was easily my choice of the day, although got to listen to the Nu Vista 800. Very smooth and extended, even more so than the ATC as expected, but suspect the Caspian CDP and ProAc D20R were holding everything back at this stage. A very brief look at the ATC SCM40 active speakers, too big a change in many ways right now, but I had a glimpse of the future perhaps.

Next up, the Hegel H160. Even if their DAC architecture isn't as radical as professed, I like their openeness about what they believe in, and how they go about doing it. I happen to like the ultra connectivity: DNLA (for phone) USB 2, Toslink, Phone, balanced XLR in and out, built in DAC, and a properly designed headphone amp. One box to replace three, and the potential to drive a pair of big active speakers via the balanced outs.

I'm not surprised that you heard similarities between the M2 and M6si.....and I envy your chance to hear the Nu Vista, which I suspect would be very good indeed, especially in a system of similar quality (eg. Klimax DS/Nu Vista/Kef Ref 3)

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Lots of options here. Try to hear as many as you can and take your time. An amp mentioned in your original post that you shouldn't discount is the Pathos Logos. I take your point about valves, but in this case the valves are only in the pre amp stage, and shouldn't need replacing for years, decades in fact - there is an option to fit a DAC too. Having also read the Hifi+ review of the Hegel 160 I would say that has to be auditioned if you can - USB non-asynchronous as you say, but their reclocking approach should, in theory, prove equally effective. The Leema Tucana too I would try to hear. And out of budget it might be, but the SAM equipoed Devialet could well be worth the outlay.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
If it's going to be a Scandi replacing the Caspian, my vote goes to Primare.

That could be a good call.

Already heard the i30 when I was looking last time. can't remember what my impressions were as very quick audition, and probably was outside of the budget back then.

I believe they are now a very fast, clean sounding Class D....so easier run.

Bel Canto C5i is another possibility (DAC included).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Looks like your ProAcs were starving for a chunky UK made Tiger transformer and 6 mighty caps in the PSU. Congrats on the new toy! *drinks*

SteveR750

Thanks, it's certainly a vast improvement over the M2, good as that was. The most surprising part is how good the DAC is, and the headphone amp. Goodbye dacmagic / MF M1, and desire to get a chord Qute.

Question now is bigger and louder ProAcs, something meaty from PMC or the Special Ones

Latter will test that big fat toroidal out for sure...

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations. The Hegel looks an excellent buy and your experience suggests the glowing Hifi+ review is well founded. Enjoy.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:
The more I read, the more I am interested in the SIA250. I suspect the MFs might be a touch too warm, and Electro too polite. The Class A amps just simply not loud enough, and I do like it loud at times, getting a drum kit to sound realistically as if there is one in the room isn't the usual listening levels, but for me that's half the point.

I think the SIA 250 is a good shout.

- Some of the MFs might be too warm

- IMO. Don't write off Electro as too polite, or Class A as not loud enough (Class A with Proac needs very serious consideration).

- Ayre may also be a brand that would work for you.

- There is also Croft, Luxman and Accuphase.

Hi CNO, and what about the Pass INT 150 or INT 30?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts