new amp ideas..roksan k2bt,rega elex r, or??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
radiorog said:
Now wait for it.....due to limited space I have one speaker with tweeter at belly height when standing and one 1foot above my head. When sitting, one tweeter is ear height and other is prob 3feet above me! Not perfect, but it sounds pretty good!

I don't mean to offend, but there is no way I could live with a set up like that. I would seriously look at getting both speakers equally positioned and at the correct height for your ears when sitting down before looking to spend around £600 on an amp.

no offence taken m&g. If I had anyway of positioning my speakers at level height I wouldwell, i possibly could but it means putting my other speaker next to a window and i was initially worried about the strong summer sun doing some kind of damage to the cabinet or those rubbery bits around the cones. Prob me just be over cautious and I might try repositioning them soon. But I have had a speaker arrangement like this since in my teens, over twenty years ago, and I actually like the sound it produces! crazy hey! I feel having the correct toe in and distance apart is sonically more importantant. a degree or two difference in toe in can noticeably change the sound, as can a cm or two difference in seperation....well, maybe psychosammatic but i beleive it. And spending 600 pounds on an amp or speakers and positioning them not ideally will still produce better sound than 400pound speakers (obviously presuming that the cost to perfermoance ratio is the same). my system still produces awesome sound. :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
radiorog said:
Now wait for it.....due to limited space I have one speaker with tweeter at belly height when standing and one 1foot above my head. When sitting, one tweeter is ear height and other is prob 3feet above me! Not perfect, but it sounds pretty good!

What do you have your speakers on?

my speakers are on the auralex pads which somebody on here recommended, and I would totally recommend them. it was around the time of getting them that the boominess disappeared.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's pushing 4 ohm speakers right now and I only hear the difference I got from the speakers and their interaction with the room. The important thing is it doesn't even get mildly warm driving them. So I'm thinking the FR deviation due to impedance load is slight. However, I have a custom stand made with no bottom panel and the cooling is quite efficient.

The Achilles heel with Kandys is the volume tracking. If the rod that connects the front knob and the volume pot is bent or pushing the pot axle slightly, weird things happen to the amplifier linear operation. They went after the shortest signal path by positioning the volume pot in the middle of the pre and power section, but connecting it with that plastic rod bears the risk of getting a baddly fitted unit from the factory. You may or may not notice it. This is an issue with many amps with similar construction.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
yeah i saw on the photos, that is some long rod on the kandy! does the bt suffer from this sometimes? I had read you staing somewhere that the volume pot or smethng had been improved in the bt?

a wierd thing with the brio r, and i have heard somebody else mention this, is tht it actually can be warmer on the surface when idle, but when driving at medium volumes, the heat drops.!

listening now, my music sounds great, its just that occasionally, some albums, be it cd or streaming can sound bad, and hearing dsotm sound so disappointing had made me think.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
yeah i saw on the photos, that is some long rod on the kandy! does the bt suffer from this sometimes? I had read you staing somewhere that the volume pot or smethng had been improved in the bt?

a wierd thing with the brio r, and i have heard somebody else mention this, is tht it actually can be warmer on the surface when idle, but when driving at medium volumes, the heat drops.!

listening now, my music sounds great, its just that occasionally, some albums, be it cd or streaming can sound bad, and hearing dsotm sound so disappointing had made me think.

They changed a cheap Alps volume pot with a less cheap Alps volume pot. There really is no zero risk you wont get a wonky unit with any manufacturer. Some have transformer hums, some oscilate and overheat due to high biased circuit, some have ill fitted pots or switches... it is a gamble what you get but at least there is 5 year warranty to remedy the problem. I've had other amplifiers with those rods, even the metal rods, if you push it with your finger you can hear the tonality slightly changing, brighter or otherwise. Even without the rod, depending how you tighten the pot, the channel imbalance and FR changes mildly. So in not so many words, pots suck, all of them. You want perfect? Accuphase AAVA digital volume control. Done.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
radiorog said:

They changed a cheap Alps volume pot with a less cheap Alps volume pot. There really is no zero risk you wont get a wonky unit with any manufacturer. Some have transformer hums, some oscilate and overheat due to high biased circuit, some have ill fitted pots or switches... it is a gamble what you get but at least there is 5 year warranty to remedy the problem. I've had other amplifiers with those rods, even the metal rods, if you push it with your finger you can hear the tonality slightly changing, brighter or otherwise. Even without the rod, depending how you tighten the pot, the channel imbalance and FR changes mildly. So in not so many words, pots suck, all of them. You want perfect? Accuphase AAVA digital volume control. Done.

wow! thats some insight. no doubt if i ever did go down the roksan route, i would spend the first two days pushing in the volume knob to see if i have a faulty one....probably until i create a faulty one....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I can take the rod off and just use the remote for volume control. The pot will be more linear, more responsive to the remote, not screwed to the front plate and with extremely short signal path. The best thing a pot can be. But, meh. Mine sounds pretty flat so I dont bother.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts