New ATC’s have arrived

Oxfordian

Arriving much earlier than I expected, my new ATC SCM 7’s are getting a bit of running in on some Customer Designed stands.

I have to say that the speakers are just stunning in Cherry, I know we shouldn’t base our purchases on looks but when the kit is going to end up being an integral part of the main lounge it needs to look good. My only criticism is the speaker grills, by god they‘re awful and staying well hidden in the box.

The CD player is set on repeat for the next hour or so, a few disc and volume changes followed by a bit of streamed radio or music over the next few days before starting a bit of seriously listening next week.

Really impressed by these little beauties, they sound so great and they’re only 3 hours old.

Glad you got them sooner than you’d thought. You shouldn’t find they need running in. I had a demo pair of 40s on home loan before I ordered mine. The brand new ones sounded just as good.

I know what you mean about the grilles, but I grew to like them. The unusual looks are the price for them making almost no difference to the sound, and they do actually protect the speaker unit behind, unlike most cloth grilles.

Last edited:
Arriving much earlier than I expected, my new ATC SCM 7’s are getting a bit of running in on some Customer Designed stands.

I have to say that the speakers are just stunning in Cherry, I know we shouldn’t base our purchases on looks but when the kit is going to end up being an integral part of the main lounge it needs to look good. My only criticism is the speaker grills, by god they‘re awful and staying well hidden in the box.

The CD player is set on repeat for the next hour or so, a few disc and volume changes followed by a bit of streamed radio or music over the next few days before starting a bit of seriously listening next week.

Really impressed by these little beauties, they sound so great and they’re only 3 hours old.

Nice one (y) and snap on the Cherry finish as we also had a pair of a clients SCM40A's delivered to us today. Had some fun helping the driver unload these from the lorry :)

atc scm40a ch delivery tnt truck 1.jpg

atc scm40a ch delivery tnt truck 2.jpg

Btw, and fwiw since their release over the last eight years with the different curved SCM7 passive monitors we've had for demo/display purposes we've not noticed a change in their presentation from new.

Oxfordian

Glad you got them sooner than you’d thought. You shouldn’t find they need running in. I had an demo pair of 40s on home loan before I ordered mine. The brand new ones sounded just as good.

I know what you mean about the grilles, but I grew to like them. The unusual looks are the price for them making almost no difference to the sound, and they do actually protect the speaker unit behind, unlike most cloth grilles.

Got to be honest they sound stunning, such a great combination the Hegel running the 7’s, I think that I am going to enjoy listening to music though these for many years to come.

Reactions: nopiano

Oxfordian

Nice one (y) and snap on the Cherry finish as we also had a pair of a clients SCM40A's delivered to us today. Had some fun helping the driver unload these from the lorry :)

View attachment 2531

View attachment 2532

Btw, and fwiw since their release over the last eight years with the different curved SCM7 passive monitors we've had for demo/display purposes we've not noticed a change in their presentation from new.

They sound just stunning, it was the dealer that said let them run for a good few hours, but I am enjoying the music now, hell I can’t see how this can improve.

Reactions: Friesiansam
I have pictures, but unsure of rules on what size can be posted, or what they need to be, my first attempt got thrown out as wrong extension, that’ll be a Mac extension issue I presume.
It’s rubbish for easy posting of pics, at least if you use an iThing as I do. Try a hosting site like Imgur and then use the Chain logo to link. Or if you screenshot an existing picture it creates a .png which you can upload.

Oxfordian

@Oxfordian hows apple music through the iPad if that's still what you're listening to

Good question, it’s fine, the sound is excellent, is is CD quality, to be honest without being able to do side by side comparisons I genuinely don’t know but to me it sounds just fine. Am I getting lossless on every track, hell I don’t know in fact I wouldn’t even know how to check, all I can see is that the Hegel display shows either 44.1KHz or 48KHz, now my limited understanding is that this is CD quality, which is fine.

What this has done is allow me to listen to music that I haven’t listened to before through AM and picking up ideas to investigate further, from that I am lining up purchases for either CD or LP. My first purchase has been to order Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young’s Deja Vu, just love that album.

Never ever listened to the Doors before but loving Roadhouse Blues, new stuff getting played everyday, my musical experiences widening all the time.

My thoughts on AM’s lossless is a big thumbs up, with the new speakers and all the other kit I have picked up over the last 6-8 weeks the £39 cable that I purchased to add my iPad to the system was an inspired buy.

So at this moment, I am as happy as a pig wallowing in sh!t.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Good question, it’s fine, the sound is excellent, is is CD quality, to be honest without being able to do side by side comparisons I genuinely don’t know but to me it sounds just fine. Am I getting lossless on every track, hell I don’t know in fact I wouldn’t even know how to check, all I can see is that the Hegel display shows either 44.1KHz or 48KHz, now my limited understanding is that this is CD quality, which is fine.

What this has done is allow me to listen to music that I haven’t listened to before through AM and picking up ideas to investigate further, from that I am lining up purchases for either CD or LP. My first purchase has been to order Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young’s Deja Vu, just love that album.

Never ever listened to the Doors before but loving Roadhouse Blues, new stuff getting played everyday, my musical experiences widening all the time.

My thoughts on AM’s lossless is a big thumbs up, with the new speakers and all the other kit I have picked up over the last 6-8 weeks the £39 cable that I purchased to add my iPad to the system was an inspired buy.

Sounds like you've cracked it. If you're enjoying CSNY then give 4 Way Street a Listen, enjoy.

Oxfordian

What finish are your Atacama shelves - natural or medium ?

The stand is natural bamboo, I hadn’t decided on speakers at the time I ordered the stand so to get a reasonable match was pure luck.

Cannot fault the stand, it took a while to arrive but was a piece of cake to assemble.

The only point I would make is that the pieces are all made at the same time, so if you order an additional shelf at a later date the shade may be different.

Tinman1952

Glad everything has worked out so well. I’m fairly certain you are getting lossless from the USB-C connection and also hi-res up to 24/48. Hence the Hegel showing 48KHz sometimes….lossless is just 44.1kHz 👍
Nice picture!

Reactions: Oxfordian
D

Deleted member 116933

tap the lossless logo and it wil tell you the bit rate it will throw out

and in the setting on the iPad you have to tell it you want to pass through 192 if available.

Attachments

• 1B555F88-DEA7-46DE-90F1-5DCE84AA503E.png
    1B555F88-DEA7-46DE-90F1-5DCE84AA503E.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1C8A2EDE-A7C1-43CF-9E7B-4DF2847CFB23.png
    1C8A2EDE-A7C1-43CF-9E7B-4DF2847CFB23.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 7

TRENDING THREADS