New amplifier: my long journey...

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I'd want to hear such great set ups as the Macs and ARC, might make me disatisfied with my lot.

cry.gif

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Not sure I'd want to hear such great set ups as the Macs and ARC, might make me disatisfied with my lot.

cry.gif

Mac

Yeah but those are dream systems...so far from the reality that he doesn't even make me think my system does not sound so good... :)

Do not have 100k to spare at the moment :wall:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, the path is becoming very clear now...and I was able to classify the speakers cables by their technical quality, price and ranking them as best Value for Money. With my big surprise, once we tried the direct comparison between the Telurium Q and the Purist Audio, the Purist just overperformed the Graphite by a big margin.

We tried Paul Simon (GraceLand) at a nice volume level and the Graphite was very nice, detailed fast and giving a great impression of width and depth.

Then we replayed the same song with the Purist (be aware that I was expecting the Purist to sound much worse than the already amazing TQ) and we were just blown away from the very start. Same volume level...the Purist was much fuller everywhere, more room filling, way more musical and foot-tapping. The effect was the same as the amplifier was changed. I think Rob will agree as the difference was really night and day. We both had just a big smile on our face when we heard that.

Then we swapped the Purist with the Siltech...and I had straight away a bad impression. Can't say what it was specifically but it justs did not sound right anymore. I probably enjoyed a bit more the TQ even if Rob said the Siltech were the second best.

Now the acid test would be to compare directly the Siltech to the Purist in my system to have a final confirmation. But I am almost convinced the Purist will end up connecting my speakers to the Jadis. Funnily enough...the Purist are the cheapest of the lot.

Atlas I have at home now are nice, fast clean and detailed. They don't do anything wrong...but they just do not convey emotions like the Purist did. When I asked my girlfriend to say what she thought about this sound compared to the Purist we heard...she said it is more boring :?

And I fully agree...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is progress.....sometimes you have to hear the real "right for you"" sound, in order to show up that what you thought was perfect....wasn't.

I would ask only one thing of you........before finally committing, please try some Cardas Clear, Clear Light or possibly G. Ref before deciding (The G.Cross is not the right cable for you, and sounds very different)......maybe Clear I/C with Clear Light S/C

IMO. This is a cable that does the opposite of the Siltech ie. It's talent (just being natural) takes a little while to fully appreciate....leave it in the system for a few days and then compare with others.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This is progress.....sometimes you have to hear the real "right for you"" sound, in order to show up that what you thought was perfect....wasn't.

I would ask only one thing of you........before finally committing, please try some Cardas Clear, Clear Light or possibly G. Ref before deciding (The G.Cross is not the right cable for you, and sounds very different)......maybe Clear I/C with Clear Light S/C

IMO. This is a cable that does the opposite of the Siltech ie. It's talent (just being natural) takes a little while to fully appreciate....leave it in the system for a few days and then compare with others.

I will try to get a demo of Cardas Light also...not sure it's going to be easy but I will give it a try.

Any though on Black Rhodium brand? A dealer just mentioned this brand to me and said himself he thinks those cabled are better than the Graphite he also stocks and sells..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I will try to get a demo of Cardas Light also...not sure it's going to be easy but I will give it a try.

Any though on Black Rhodium brand? A dealer just mentioned this brand to me and said himself he thinks those cabled are better than the Graphite he also stocks and sells..

Surely the dealer where you had the trial owned a demo pair, that were lent out at the time?.....Isn't Francis a Cardas dealer?

I have never heard a Black Rhodium product.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Surely the dealer where you had the trial owned a demo pair, that were lent out at the time?.....Isn't Francis a Cardas dealer?

I have never heard a Black Rhodium product.

Yes, not sure when they will be coming back though. In the end I don't think I will buy the Purist from him as I can find much cheaper somewhere else...so I do not feel comfortable trying to much stuff if I am not getting any with him. But I will ask on Thursday when I take back the Purist Audio.

Francis does not stock any Cardas speaker cable...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Yes, not sure when they will be coming back though. In the end I don't think I will buy the Purist from him as I can find much cheaper somewhere else...so I do not feel comfortable trying to much stuff if I am not getting any with him. But I will ask on Thursday when I take back the Purist Audio.

That is a very fair stance, but is based on the fact you don't think Cardas stands a chance, and you are really doing it to shut me up! ;)

The other way of looking at it, is that it could be a real contender, and another chance for this dealer to sell you something, in case it just happens to make it into first place :shifty: ...........unless of course you can dig some up elsewhere.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

That is a very fair stance, but is based on the fact you don't think Cardas stands a chance, and you are really doing it to shut me up! ;)

The other way of looking at it, is that it could be a real contender, and another chance for this dealer to sell you something, in case it just happens to make it into first place :shifty: ...........unless of course you can dig some up elsewhere.

Ahah, don't worry its not like that at all :). If I do is because I am genuilely curios to try...and I do think the Clear Light might be a contender as it's in the same price range of Purist Audio. I will call the guy tomorrow and ask if he had back the Cardas.

I will for sure find cheaper somewhere else (especially for UK brands) as I found out recently. Usually UK is one of the cheapers market (as also now the change GBP to EUR is not bad). At the price of the Purist I have heard here I can get the better model in UK :O

But I will do try Cardas Light...not just to shut you up :rofl:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

I do think it might be like this...but I do not think its prices are comparable to what I can get around. I am not looking to save 50-100 euro...but on the Purist Audio there is a significative 400 euro difference!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I do think it might be like this...but I do not think its prices are comparable to what I can get around. I am not looking to save 50-100 euro...but on the Purist Audio there is a significative 400 euro difference!

Fair enough........VFM is crucial, and by now you have a very good idea what sounds good.

I thought you had easy access and that prices were comparable.....since this is not the case, then you are probably doing the right thing, as your instincts are good.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Atlas, TQ Graphite and Siltech are going back tomorrow...

Purist are the clear winners so far, just waiting for the last comeptition against the Cardas Clear light (hopefully available tomorrow).

Happy this hunt is come to an end and I am very happy with the Purist Audio so far...

Thinking about taking home a McIntosh for a week...just for the fun >)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Atlas, TQ Graphite and Siltech are going back tomorrow...

Purist are the clear winners so far, just waiting for the last comeptition against the Cardas Clear light (hopefully available tomorrow).

Happy this hunt is come to an end and I am very happy with the Purist Audio so far...

Thinking about taking home a McIntosh for a week...just for the fun >)

What are Rob's thoughts in all this?

Are you getting Cardas i/c and s/c?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is the HiFi+ review of the Cardas Clear, and lays down why I think this is the way to go (click on "full screen" at top of doc): http://www.docstoc.com/docs/92492301/Cardas-Clear-cables

The Clear Light should give a good taste of this.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Quick update on cables.

Yesterday the siltech, atlas and TQ graphite went back and I spent some time with each one of the dealers to thank them and also explain why they were not the "chosen one".

Graphite Q was the cable who impressed me the most before trying PAD. Regardless what the dealer said when I say it's not the best looking cable (he said the sound only counts, I do not totally agree) I think TQ should really try to put some more effort on this aspect with their new Black Diamond. Nothing fancy but just the impression the cable is professionally made instead of looking like a good work of an amateur into a garage. These are of course my personal opinion and please do not start a debate on cables look :). In terms of sonic, they do are that good. They brought a ton of details and a clarity, speed and dynamic range which were stunning. It was the exact kind of presentation I liked, nice timing and rhytme withouth losing on details which I like a lot especially on the acoustic instruments.

Even if they costed bit more than the siltech I think they were worth the money if ou can pass on the look. And they would remain my reference cable if one of my dealers didn't convince me to take home the purist audio design (American company). The pad did everything the TQ were doing but added an overall enjoyment to the music which was very very pleasant. Everything sounded fuller and just better, can't explain what w specifically but every time I was putting on an lp I would forget about components and just enjoy the flow of the music. The TQ were always trying to impress while the purist were just letting you sit back and enjoy the music with a foot tapping presentation me and my gf really enjoyed. Btw, I swapped three times the TQ and the purist without telling her what I was changing and she preferred all the time the puriste after a few seconds of listening...I was impressed :)

Ice on the cake, here in Belgium the pad cost almost half price compared to the cost of 2x2mt of graphite cables. When I started to look around for better offers I manage to reduce the gap but there was still a 30% increase in price.

I will write soon also my experience with Atlas Mavros and how they would compare to the whole lot. Stay on this space....and yes Cno I got the card as clear light without ic. :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok...as promised the follow up.

The Atlas are amazing cables. I still need to thank personally John Carrick for the hel and advices he provided.

The Mavros are greatly built and look very nice with their WBT connectors. Also quite flexible so easy to place behind the speakers. The sound is fast, clean, detailed but in my personal experience it lacks a little bit of musicality and character.

They don't do anything wrong and they provide the system with speed and clarity. Bass was also nice, smooth and well controlled. Compared to the Graphite and especially to the PAD they show their limits as they are not as detailed as the TQ and not as musical as the PAD.

They are well priced (cheaper than the TQ but more expensive than the PAD) but when you compare it to the competitors in play in my system they seem a bit overpriced when comparing VFM. All in all is a great cable that in the right system might bring a huge improvement over the basic ones used. They were tried after the TQ and the PAD were already in place so it was difficult for them to sparkle too much

Last competitor in play is the Cardas Clear Light. Will it be good enough to remove the PAD off the top place and take its place into my system? Too early as I just plugged them :cheer:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Last competitor in play is the Cardas Clear Light. Will it be good enough to remove the PAD off the top place and take its place into my system? Too early as I just plugged them :cheer:

It may seem odd, but don't make your full critical evaluation until they have remained in your system for a couple of days, without being moved. I found they took a little while to settle........sounds nuts, and I can't prove it.

Did you say that you got the i/cs as well, as I wasn't sure?

I would be very intrigued in how you feel they compare with the GC.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

It may seem odd, but don't make your full critical evaluation until they have remained in your system for a couple of days, without being moved. I found they took a little while to settle........sounds nuts, and I can't prove it.

Did you say that you got the i/cs as well, as I wasn't sure?

I would be very intrigued in how you feel they compare with the GC.

I wont especially because the PAD took a few days to settle and shine...not i/c as it's a speaker cable only...and for every one I used the basic Clearaudio i/c I had with the Performance TT.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Is the Cardas looking like another "also ran", or does it show a little promise?

They are still in my system...so promising so far :). The GC lasted for a few minutes as it was evident the cable not for me.

Tha Clear light is indeed a different story...so far I think they are not as musical as the PAD. But I will waiti till end of the week before making my final choice :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
They are still in my system...so promising so far :). The GC lasted for a few minutes as it was evident the cable not for me.

Tha Clear light is indeed a different story...so far I think they are not as musical as the PAD. But I will waiti till end of the week before making my final choice :)

Good job.....will await your assessment with interest, and where it fits into the hierarchy.

Is Rob interested in trying it as well?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Good job.....will await your assessment with interest, and where it fits into the hierarchy.

Is Rob interested in trying it as well?

Not sure as I know he has little problem with positioning of all system in his place so might need to sort that out first before adventuring in any serious cable purchasing. I find it a very good idea actually...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts