New amplifier: my long journey...

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Not sure as I know he has little problem with positioning of all system in his place so might need to sort that out first before adventuring in any serious cable purchasing. I find it a very good idea actually...

Totally agree.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just got a set of custom made and polished platform from RS Acoustic (thnak you Chris). Beautifully made on my specifics can't speak highly enough for Chris who was attentive to any request.

After unpacking I put one of the big one under the TT and the small one under the phono amp. Now...call me crazy and biased and visionary but can't believe the effect it has on the sound. From stone cold the sound is more solid, full and round...and I still have to position the one under the amp and the 2 under the speakers! :cheers:

In the meantime I got in touch with Derrick from Black Ravioli (very nice person) who not only advised me the type of pads I should try under my specific equipment, but moved things so a set of demo pads could be shipped to me from the distributor for Benelux.

Francis wil tell me when the pads will be available in his shop...let's wait.

In the meantime I am getting used to these cables...are nice but I still think I am missing "something". I will have the final proof tomorrow when I will put back the Purist Audio...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good job...........looks like you've probably found your speaker cable (PAD).

My dealer rates these, though I haven't heard them: http://www.kronosav.com/index.php/valhalla

(They are better value than some)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Good job...........looks like you've probably found your speaker cable (PAD).

My dealer rates these, though I haven't heard them: http://www.kronosav.com/index.php/valhalla

(They are better value than some)

Probably...most will depend also the type of deal I can get on both the sets.

Is the links pointing to isolation feet?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

Does that mean the Cardas is getting close to the PAD?

Alex said:

It's a whole series of isolation pads, including spike shoes that are supposed to be quite effective.......I was looking at them the other day, but didn't hear them.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Alex said:

It's a whole series of isolation pads, including spike shoes that are supposed to be quite effective.......I was looking at them the other day, but didn't hear them.

They are very close indeed...tomorrow I will decide when I swap back.

I meant I got isolation platforms like these ones http://rsacoustics.co.uk/speaker.html

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Alex said:

I meant I got isolation platforms like these ones http://rsacoustics.co.uk/speaker.html

Very interesting Alex... speaker base pretty reasonably priced too.

Are the equipment bases that reasonably priced too?

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Alex said:

Very interesting Alex... speaker base pretty reasonably priced too.

Are the equipment bases that reasonably priced too?

Mac

Mac, I used the speaker base for everything inclusing turntable, streamer, phono amp and amplifier. I chose the Atlas Jet finish and emailed to Chris the custom size of all different platforms (width/depth/thinckness) and he gave me nice discount on top. I also added a few silver feet which look very classy under the equipment.

I know I could probably achieve the same effect with kitchen cutting board but I loved those as are highly polished, look fantastic and could make all different sizes I want. Shipping to UK would be even cheaper for you than getting to Belgium!

The result is really amazing...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

I have a possible suggestion. Get the i/c from each company and see how it sounds with the set (even if the i/c is left till a later date). This can really help highlight the company sound.

Acalex said:

I realize that, but I was just bringing them to your attention in case they would help (you or Rob) in the future....eg. the isolating spike shoes.

With regard to the platform, I made something similar with £10 Granite worktop saver with small sobothane feet (like Focul Pods)....so make sure you can't make one for £20.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
...and I still have to position the one under the amp and the 2 under the speakers! :cheers:

Be careful about raising the tweeters too high (above ear level when seated), just in case it effects the treble......some speakers are more sensitive to this than others.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have been swapping cables agian back to the PAD and wow...now I understand what I was missing!

These cables are extremely musical and let the music flow in a way all the others do not do, I will pick those for sure. But the Cardas light are great VFM and I think they would sit in 2nd position if we consider the price/quality ratio. :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Excellent.....and a job well done.

This just goes to show that you can start off with a list of "definites", but then end up with something totally unexpected. It means keeping an open mind and being prepared to try anything good that you come across..

There should now be very little that could crop up, that would make you regret your decision. The only regret that I have, is that I don't think you heard the Vertere at their best; but if the help from them or their dealer wasn't forthcoming, then it's their loss.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Excellent.....and a job well done.

This just goes to show that you can start off with a list of "definites", but then end up with something totally unexpected. It means keeping an open mind and being prepared to try anything good that you come across..

There should now be very little that could crop up, that would make you regret your decision. The only regret that I have, is that I don't think you heard the Vertere at their best; but if the help from them or their dealer wasn't forthcoming, then it's their loss.

I know, but I gave another opporunity to them but and nobody really followed up on that after my last email...and as you know I don't like chasing people. Plus it would have been complicated for them to fly here and help me with the setup.

Indeed, this brand was completely unexpected and at the beginning I wasn't considering it that much as it was not as known as all the others...than suddendly they grew on me more and more...and I would miss them every time I would try something else.

In the end I just got the PAD off ebay at a great price!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Well, Francis emailed me saying that the Black Ravioli are finally there waiting for me to pick them up...nice! ;)

Good job.

It is worth having a read of the set-up section of the website.......then start at the source and work forwards. I will be very surprised if you don't hear a difference........but what you will have to decide, is if that difference is an improvement or not.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Well, Francis emailed me saying that the Black Ravioli are finally there waiting for me to pick them up...nice! ;)

Good job.

It is worth having a read of the set-up section of the website.......then start at the source and work forwards. I will be very surprised if you don't hear a difference........but what you will have to decide, is if that difference is an improvement or not.

Yes, I hope they sent to me the right stuff as the distributor was VERY unhelpful. It decided to move when I had to escalate and emailed directly Derrick at BR who was willing to ship to me directly and said he wont work with that distributor anymore...

He also said to get back to him if they did not send what is suitable for me. Great person to deal with...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
It decided to move when I had to escalate and emailed directly Derrick at BR who was willing to ship to me directly and said he wont work with that distributor anymore...

He also said to get back to him if they did not send what is suitable for me. Great person to deal with...

It's often not "what you know", but "who you know", that gets a result. :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Yes, I hope they sent to me the right stuff as the distributor was VERY unhelpful. It decided to move when I had to escalate and emailed directly Derrick at BR who was willing to ship to me directly and said he wont work with that distributor anymore...

Wazzup :quest: :read:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe this long post is still here...it was a very wonderful time :)

Now I have zero time to listen to my hi-fi and I am thinking about selling my beloved SFs *nea*

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
iceman16 said:
acalex said:
Can't believe this long post is still here...it was a very wonderful time :)

Now I have zero time to listen to my hi-fi and I am thinking about selling my beloved SFs *nea*

Good to see you again here

Thanks! I see you still have your beautiful system...what an amp that AMS35i. Every time I go at Rob's plce I enjoy it so much!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
I am thinking about selling my beloved SFs *nea*
Don't!

Why you say that? :)

I am asking because I am torned indeed...listening to my heart (beautiful design, lovely and charming sound) or to my brain (I don't really use them anymore, I can still get decent money and maybe downgrade to something in the 1500€ range second hand).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Don't!

I am asking because I am torned indeed...listening to my heart (beautiful design, lovely and charming sound) or to my brain (I don't really use them anymore, I can still get decent money and maybe downgrade to something in the 1500€ range second hand).

Hi Alex,

Sell them!

And then, when you'll have time for music again, it will start nagging, and you can embark on another speaker quest (and report here in detail -- thanks in advance! *wink*)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Don't!

Hi Alex,

Sell them!

And then, when you'll have time for music again, it will start nagging, and you can embark on another speaker quest (and report here in detail -- thanks in advance! *wink*)

Ahahah, I must say that I miss indeed the "hunting" phase...when with Rob we were driving 2hs just to go and listen to a specific brand of speakers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts