New amplifier: my long journey...

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
In the meantime I managed to get a great deal on some 2x2mt TQ Graphite brand new (or some 2x3mt ex demo)...to a level which I would be comoftable spending if I decided they do remain my reference cable! This gave me quite some peace of mind....

Now that is good news.....and will give you bargaining power in case you like something else.

I think you have good pricing on Siltech as well. If you are down to a couple of cables, a good deal will often swing the decision.

How's the testing going.....anything new showing up, or just reinforcement of previous thoughts?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
In the meantime I managed to get a great deal on some 2x2mt TQ Graphite brand new (or some 2x3mt ex demo)...to a level which I would be comoftable spending if I decided they do remain my reference cable! This gave me quite some peace of mind....

Now that is good news.....and will give you bargaining power in case you like something else.

I think you have good pricing on Siltech as well. If you are down to a couple of cables, a good deal will often swing the decision.

How's the testing going.....anything new showing up, or just reinforcement of previous thoughts?

Yes, now each one of the cables I have fall in my confort zone with indeed Siltech 330L being the "cheapest".

For now I am still enjoying the Purist Audio which are a complete and nice cable, not impressing but not disappointing either. It is very musical and makes you want to listen to the music instead of analysisng...a good thing. It does not have the same dynamic range of the TQ though.

I will swap speaker cables tomorrow to put the Graphite in and see what's system (and mine!) reaction will be! :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Cno,

No, Other than the Siltech 550L, I haven't tried any other S/C's lately. It's the Golden Ref PC and Tony also asked me to try some of their own XLR's which are apparently rated better than my new Siltech 330I.

At the same time he gave me some of their own brand jumpers and he find the fact that I could not hear any sonic improvement with them the most surprising.

I bit his hand off at the offer of a home visit, just waiting for confirmation of a date now.

Gary from AE also sent me this link

http://www.hifi-ssc.de/Netpoint_100_200_300.htm

Unfortunately though, my screenreader can't read the website for some reason.

Mac

Mac, your screen reader would need to be able to translate from Dutch to make sense of it.

If you like what the Cardas P/C does, keep your eye out for the GR speaker cables and interconnect (or even Clear Light).

Get Tony to put some Track Audio stands in his boot when he visits! :shifty:

Tony came round last evening at about 6.30 and left about 10.30.

It was an amazing experience.

After sitting in my listening position and hearing my problem for himself, he started by painstakingly adjusting my speakers directionally and heightwise

This did make an immediate improvement... he then changed the speaker cable to some Analysis plus big oval silver and to be honest at first, I wasn't convinced. So he then tested my hearing with a CD that consisted of a series of high pitched tones, at which point the dog had to leave the room. After that he added their own brand jumpers then the music seem to develop another dimension and the overhang had dicipated even more.

He then switched out my Siltech XLR's for some of their own brand and the boom was back , so they were hastily removed for the Siltech again.

After some extensive listening to some of Tony's Cd's that he remastered himself in his studio Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and Take the weather with you by Crowded House he then put this strange looking object in my hand... to me, it felt like a metal plate with 3 squares of hard rubber either side I asked him what it was and he replied Black Ravioli!

Tony was involved with the development of the product and we did discuss the infamous article, but I won't repeat our conversation.

He first placed two under my amp, one at the front and the other at the back and finally two similarly under the CDP.

Now we were listening to Nils Lofgren singing a live version of Keith don't go and this was absolutely incredible, I found myself clapping with the audience at the end... I have never heard my system sound so fantastic.

Now I can't say if there was any one thing that improved the sound so much, or a combination of all, but with every change, apart from the XLR's, a marked improvement was definitely heard.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
This did make an immediate improvement... he then changed the speaker cable to some Analysis plus big oval silver and to be honest at first, I wasn't convinced, but then he added their own brand jumpers then the music seem to develop another dimension and the overhang had dicipated even more.

He then switched out my Siltech XLR's for some of their own brand and the boom was back , so they were hastily removed for the Siltech again.

After some extensive listening to some of Tony's Cd's that he remastered himself in his studio Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and Take the weather with you by Crowded House he then put this strange looking object in my hand... to me, it felt like a metal plate with 3 squares of hard rubber either side I asked him what it was and he replied Black Ravioli!

Tony was involved with the development of the product and we did discuss the infamous article, but I won't repeat our conversation.

He first placed two under my amp, one at the front and the other at the back and finally two similarly under the CDP.

Now we were listening to Nils Lofgren singing a live version of Keith don't go and this was absolutely incredible, I found myself clapping with the audience at the end... I have never heard my system sound so fantastic.

Now I can't say if there was any one thing that improved the sound so much, or a combination of all, but with every change, apart from the XLR's, a marked improvement was definitely heard.

Mac

Hi Mac, I'm truly pleased that you are hearing your system to its full.....and goes to show what can be achieved with knowledge and experience.

I also think that this was behind the remark made by Touraj Moghaddam in relation to why his Vertere cables didn't shine with Rob and Alex, who also may have set up issues.

I have also found replacing the links can make a marked difference.

Having now tried first hand, would you say that BR had a noticeable worthwhile effect.......was it the small pads or the Bigfeet?

Are you using a better power cord, and if so which one?

What products are you now getting for your system?

What an interesting evening.

Cno

EDIT. I suspect he put 3 pieces of BR under each bit of your kit (1 front and 2 back)......probably Bigfeet.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
This did make an immediate improvement... he then changed the speaker cable to some Analysis plus big oval silver and to be honest at first, I wasn't convinced, but then he added their own brand jumpers then the music seem to develop another dimension and the overhang had dicipated even more.

Mac

Hi Mac, I'm truly pleased that you are hearing your system to its full.....and goes to show what can be achieved with knowledge and experience.

I also think that this was behind the remark made by Touraj Moghaddam in relation to why his Vertere cables didn't shine with Rob and Alex, who also may have set up issues.

Having now tried first hand, would you say that BR had a noticeable worthwhile effect.......was it the small pads or the Bigfeet?

Cno

EDIT. I suspect he put 3 pieces of BR under each bit of your kit (1 front and 2 back)......probably Bigfeet.

Hi Cno,

Yes it was the big feet and he put 2 pieces under both the amp and CDP and as for making a difference... most definitely... it was like it was the final piece in the jigsaw.

I'm still using the Cardas GR, but as for what I'm going to get, I will have to

do it in stages. We did also discuss a couple of options for decoupling the speakers the Track audio stands with sticky BR pads and again the pads between speaker and top plate of existing stand- removing spikes replacing with some wooden plymths and BR.

He is going to put everything in an Email and we'll take it from there.

It really was a great evening, I could've listened all night.

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Cno

Hi Cno,

Yes it was the big feet and he put 2 pieces under both the amp and CDP and as for making a difference... most definitely... it was like it was the final piece in the jigsaw.

do it in stages. We did also discuss a couple of options for decoupling the speakers the Track audio stands with sticky BR pads and again the pads between speaker and top plate of existing stand- removing spikes replacing with some wooden plymths and BR.

Mac

Very nice review, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.

I will probably ask you to put me in touch as well as I am getting nowhere with the distributor of BR in Benelux...it is becoming a painful experience and I am about to drop the idea. People really DO not know how to run a good business sometimes...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
We did also discuss a couple of options for decoupling the speakers the Track audio stands with sticky BR pads and again the pads between speaker and top plate of existing stand- removing spikes replacing with some wooden plymths and BR.

Mac

What was his view on the Track Audio stands as an isolation solution?

The only reason I mentioned the amount of Bigfeet, is the cost of them. AFAIK. A piece of kit can't balance on two, so there either had to be three, or something else had to be put in for the extra support......in other words you may need to budget for an extra two pads (ie. amp and CDP), if they are an option.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Cno

Hi Cno,

Mac

Very nice review, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.

I will probably ask you to put me in touch as well as I am getting nowhere with the distributor of BR in Benelux...it is becoming a painful experience and I am about to drop the idea. People really DO not know how to run a good business sometimes...

By all means Alex.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I will clarify that with him Cno, but I'm sure he said he placed one set at the back and one at the front of each unit.

He really believes in the Track stands and says they are a great piece of engineering, but just wants to give me options... at the end of the day, sadly, it will all come down to affordability.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
People really DO not know how to run a good business sometimes...

It would do your head in. :wall:

How are you and Rob getting on with your cable testing.....is your thinking becoming clearer, or not.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cno

Next week a guy from a local dealer here in Wales will bring a pair of TQ graphite s/c for me to try.:)

Blimey.....that will test things.

It may just be a different flavour of great, or it might just be better! :shifty:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
People really DO not know how to run a good business sometimes...

It would do your head in. :wall:

How are you and Rob getting on with your cable testing.....is your thinking becoming clearer, or not.

Yes, this path I am following now is much better. Situation is much clearer now and I already know at 80% what I will get...just need the last acid test in my system and I will decide.

Today we had a head-to-head competition between Siltech, Graphite TQ and Purist Audio....there was a clear winner and for me a clear loser also. Wasn't expecting the difference to be so evident as it was...

More on this tomorrow as we are now going to listen to a FULL Macintosh system... :cheers:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Valve...300W of pure pleasure, it was absolutely fantastic

What was the rest of the system, including cables etc.?

Was this at your dealer?

System was a pair of monoblocks MC2301 Mono with C220 Vacuum Tube preamp.

CD Player was a Mcintosh, Streamer a Meridien and turntable was a Clearaudio Champion Limited Edition with Stradivari cartridge.

Speakers were McIntosh XRT1K with kimber cables

An impressive system overall :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

CD Player was a Mcintosh, Streamer a Meridien and turntable was a Clearaudio Champion Limited Edition with Stradivari cartridge.

Very nice.........what would it cost, and would it rank as the best you have heard?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Very nice.........what would it cost, and would it rank as the best you have heard?

Ahaha, thats a difficult question! :)

It sounded really good but there was too much wine into our body to remain objective :cheers:

Probably it sounded the second best...the first being still the full ARC Reference system driving the SF Amati Futura.

The cost not idea but I think it shouldn't be far from 100k being the 2 power amplifier 15k euro each and the speakers being over 35k

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

It sounded really good but there was too much wine into our body to remain objective :cheers:

Probably it sounded the second best...the first being still the full ARC Reference system driving the SF Amati Futura.

The cost not idea but I think it shouldn't be far from 100k being the 2 power amplifier 15k euro each and the speakers being over 35k

That's a good price given how much they cost over here: http://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/product_details.php?ref=131

(Maybe you should get some......would be nice with your SFs! :shifty:)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

That's a good price given how much they cost over here: http://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/product_details.php?ref=131

(Maybe you should get some......would be nice with your SFs! :shifty:)

I think thats the price for 2 already. Here in belgium is 29k euro for a pair!

Yes...my SF will sing for sure in that case :D

McIntosh might be the way to go towards the nirvana when I get tired of Jadis :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts