Neil Young - Some suggestions please

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oxfordian

I am NOT a collector, so I really don't like buying a theme album, and Neil Young is the same thing, you buy a theme album and end up only liking 2 or 3 songs on the entire album, just seems like a huge waste of money.

So I have Neil Young's Greatest Hits, and I like every single track on that record.

I know that is sacrilege to most of you what I just said, but I'm not a collector, I just want to listen and enjoy all of what they had to offer, or at least most of the music on a single recording. I do own some theme-produced albums from other musicians but again I'm not collecting, and it just so happens that I might like most of the tracks on a particular record, for example, I have Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs, the entire album is fantastic, so I don't completely shy away from theme albums, just depends on how many tracks I like on a particular album vs getting a best of album.
Thanks for getting involved.

I have to be honest whilst I have a few Greatest Hits LP’s I prefer to get an artists individual albums, so often I find tracks that I really like but wouldn’t get on a GH release.

With an album I find that you get into the artists music more, but that is just me, everyone is free to listen as they wish.

froze

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Oh dear... You'll never get to decide which is your best album using this factor.
You're missing out I assure you.
So far I haven't, I assure you. I'm not going to buy a record that only has 1, 2, or 3 songs on the entire album that I like, to me that's a waste of money. I've seen artists that put on a record and I only liked one song on the entire recording, after I did that a few times I have all but quit buying theme records. Artists do that to make more money by getting you to buy all their theme albums, say 8 albums for example, you got 1, 2, or 3 songs you like on each one, hell with that, I when can get one one recording that has all the favorites from all those records.

This is the same problem we had years ago when 45s were produced, one good song on one side, one bad song on the other, because they wanted you to buy a lot of 45s, and that same mental process has been going on with most albums ever since then. It's all about marketing and getting you to buy more records.

Let me repeat, I'm not a collector, so I could care less about having a collection of theme records if I'm only going to like and listen to roughly 10% to 20% of the music found on 1 recording. That's just me, we are all different in this world, if you like theme albums great, you might be the kind of person who likes all the songs on a theme record.

Oxfordian

So far I haven't, I assure you. I'm not going to buy a record that only has 1, 2, or 3 songs on the entire album that I like, to me that's a waste of money. I've seen artists that put on a record and I only liked one song on the entire recording, after I did that a few times I have all but quit buying theme records. Artists do that to make more money by getting you to buy all their theme albums, say 8 albums for example, you got 1, 2, or 3 songs you like on each one, hell with that, I when can get one one recording that has all the favorites from all those records.

This is the same problem we had years ago when 45s were produced, one good song on one side, one bad song on the other, because they wanted you to buy a lot of 45s, and that same mental process has been going on with most albums ever since then. It's all about marketing and getting you to buy more records.

Let me repeat, I'm not a collector, so I could care less about having a collection of theme records if I'm only going to like and listen to roughly 10% to 20% of the music found on 1 recording. That's just me, we are all different in this world, if you like theme albums great, you might be the kind of person who likes all the songs on a theme record.
I’m not sure that many will agree with your thought process, but you are free to choose how you buy your music and what you choose to listen too, it’s not for me to tell you what is right or wrong.

But, I will say that you are missing out on a huge amount of great music by only buying GH albums. I can honestly say that in all my albums either on vinyl or CD there isn’t one that I can say I dislike 80-90% of the tracks.

I will add that since I bought my first LP back in the mid 1970’s my tastes in music have changed and in some cases music I adored in those early days doesn’t have the same pull that it used to whilst other music has stood the test of time and is as good today as it was then.

Please take into account that in order to have hits an artist has to release music, we the public listen to that music and decide whether we like it or not, you cannot have a hit without doing that.

As far as I am aware no artist can predict what tracks are going to be hits, they may believe that some tracks are stronger than others but whether the public buy in to those stronger tracks is not something the artist can control, all they can do is promote their music and hope that the hits come.

I am not a music collector but I have a collection of albums, vinyl and CD that I listen too, I buy music that I like, some times it’s a bit of a shot in the dark but I have never bought an album where I dislike the majority of the music on it.

WayneKerr

Except for a handful of artists I tend to stick with greatest hits albums too. Previously I've wanted to explore certain artists by purchasing their studio albums and have been unimpressed by the amount of fillers and dross tracks, and reverted to their greatest hits again. There are of course exceptions and not all greatest hits have the best tracks either.

I tend to use Spotify to check-out albums these days. I really like Yello and was considering hoovering-up their catalogue... I stuck with the greatest hits CD in the end! Another is Kate Bush, adore her, but some of her studio albums are too arty for me.

Apologies for straying off the thread title.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

Except for a handful of artists I tend to stick with greatest hits albums too. Previously I've wanted to explore certain artists by purchasing their studio albums and have been unimpressed by the amount of fillers and dross tracks, and reverted to their greatest hits again. There are of course exceptions and not all greatest hits have the best tracks either.

I tend to use Spotify to check-out albums these days. I really like Yello and was considering hoovering-up their catalogue... I stuck with the greatest hits CD in the end! Another is Kate Bush, adore her, but some of her studio albums are too arty for me.

Apologies for straying off the thread title.
Interesting comments, not sure that I agree with all of them but the use of streaming to check stuff out before buying is a big plus for me.

Being primarily a vinyl junkie the cost of your shopping basket can get prohibitive very quickly if doing a bit of retail therapy especially if you're taking a punt on an artist for the first time.

I have a gripe with greatest hits albums in that whilst they do give you a complete (or almost complete) set of hit tunes I often feel that the album is sterile in that I don't get into the artist's music as I would when I listen to a studio album.

WayneKerr

Interesting comments, not sure that I agree with all of them but the use of streaming to check stuff out before buying is a big plus for me.

Being primarily a vinyl junkie the cost of your shopping basket can get prohibitive very quickly if doing a bit of retail therapy especially if you're taking a punt on an artist for the first time.

I have a gripe with greatest hits albums in that whilst they do give you a complete (or almost complete) set of hit tunes I often feel that the album is sterile in that I don't get into the artist's music as I would when I listen to a studio album.
Apologies, I was discussing music in general. If it's a commitment to vinyl then it has to be an artist/group I already enjoy and an album I know we'll. My vinyl collection contains no greatest hits LPs.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Apologies, I was discussing music in general. If it's a commitment to vinyl then it has to be an artist/group I already enjoy and an album I know we'll. My vinyl collection contains no greatest hits LPs.
I have to confess that there are some GH complications in my vinyl collection, Mrs Oxfordian much prefers to listen to hits whilst I have always been willing to explore a studio album, so we have bought a few GH over the years.

In addition I must also to confess to owning a good number of compilation albums featuring various artists, in my defence I have to say that the vast majority are very well mastered, are quality pressIngs and sound great. These were purchased as we liked the majority of the tracks but were very unlikely to buy individual LP’s of these artists.

Compilation albums have a purpose but I could not forgo the studio album, and if you are pre pared to have a rummage in the second hand bins at the record store there is some good music out there for not a huge outlay.

Reactions: WayneKerr

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
All suggestions good Rust Never Sleeps my fave fwiw.

But there was another element to the OP's question which was to recommend 'similar'.

Hmm well I'd say NY is a lyrics led songwriter working in pretty orthodox musical settings whether four to the floor wigging with Crazy Horse or good 'ol acoustic and harmonica. All with a rep for single-not-to-say-bloody-mindedness

Doesn't His Bobness strike anyone as the obvious pick?

Oxfordian

All suggestions good Rust Never Sleeps my fave fwiw.

But there was another element to the OP's question which was to recommend 'similar'.

Hmm well I'd say NY is a lyrics led songwriter working in pretty orthodox musical settings whether four to the floor wigging with Crazy Horse or good 'ol acoustic and harmonica. All with a rep for single-not-to-say-bloody-mindedness

Doesn't His Bobness strike anyone as the obvious pick?
Have a few Bob LP's, he can be a bit hard going at times though.

Enjoying my NY CD box set though.

Fandango Andy

Just found a liking for Neil Young courtesy of my brother in law playing some tracks on his phone at a BBQ last night, as a result I have Harvest lined up as a purchase and would like to add some other LP’s in the weeks and months ahead, but with a catalog as vast as his I just wondered if there any suggestions on what to avoid, whether his early stuff is better than more recent or vice versa.

I have also noticed that some of the LP’s stocked at various locations are a touch under £100 which seems very expensive so I am going to have a look at the 2nd hand stores and see what I can find via that route.

Lastly, any thoughts on artists in a similar vein, trying to broaden my horizons on the LP shelves. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Going off at a tangent; have a listen to Trio (Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris) covering After the Gold Rush.

Fandango Andy

How strange, I quite like CSNY at least their 'Deja Vu' work, but Joni well sadly she leave me cold, not an artist I plan to have in my small collection.

Amazing how different our tastes can be within a small collection of artists.
Not so keen of the later stuff but early middle period are amazing especially Blue, and Court and Spark.

Fandango Andy

Yep. It's a decent enough album as 'best of' or Greatest Hits are concerned.

Truth is I have this deep-rooted dislike of late 60s and 1970s West Coast sound.

I'm a big fan of Graham Nash when he was with The Hollies, but when he joined Crosby, Stills and Young, I instantly took a dislike to him.

IMHO, the only decent act to emerge from that scene was Joni Mitchell.
If you like The Hollies, are for familiar with The Everly Brothers Two Yanks in England?

Fandango Andy

I am NOT a collector, so I really don't like buying a theme album, and Neil Young is the same thing, you buy a theme album and end up only liking 2 or 3 songs on the entire album, just seems like a huge waste of money.

So I have Neil Young's Greatest Hits, and I like every single track on that record.

I know that is sacrilege to most of you what I just said, but I'm not a collector, I just want to listen and enjoy all of what they had to offer, or at least most of the music on a single recording. I do own some theme-produced albums from other musicians but again I'm not collecting, and it just so happens that I might like most of the tracks on a particular record, for example, I have Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs, the entire album is fantastic, so I don't completely shy away from theme albums, just depends on how many tracks I like on a particular album vs getting a best of album.

Best of albums are kind of dead in the age of streaming. I tend to avoid best of on vinyl as they are very often poor pressings with narrow grooves to fit more on. They were great on CD in the 80s till the 00's.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Going off at a tangent; have a listen to Trio (Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris) covering After the Gold Rush.
On other tangents, Ronstadt just is such a gorgeous singer. Heart Like a Wheel for me, though recommended Linda albums would be as long a thread as for NY.

And. Check out the film Heart of Gold which is a sort of preparing for the gig - cum - concert movie from the Prairie Wind tour. NY has Emmylou on backing vocals. Emmylou. On backing vocals. That's chops.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
On other tangents, Ronstadt just is such a gorgeous singer. Heart Like a Wheel for me, though recommended Linda albums would be as long a thread as for NY.

And. Check out the film Heart of Gold which is a sort of preparing for the gig - cum - concert movie from the Prairie Wind tour. NY has Emmylou on backing vocals. Emmylou. On backing vocals. That's chops.
I too like Linda Ronstadt's voice but have none of her albums in my collection. Listened to a few on Spotify and decided against adding... can't abide Country & Western.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I too like Linda Ronstadt's voice but have none of her albums in my collection. Listened to a few on Spotify and decided against adding... can't abide Country & Western.
Hmm I wouldn't put Heart Like a Wheel or Don't Cry Now in the C&W category more 'AOR' as it was later termed. But each to his of her own.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
If you want a detailed picture of the incredibly creative & incestuous 60s/70s Laurel Canyon scene, I’d always recommend this book. Barney Hoskins is obsessive with detail, and yet waves it into an easy to follow story, with just the right amount of sarcasm you’d expect from British music journo.

Hotel California: Singer-Songwriters and Cocaine Cowboys in the La Canyons, 1967-1976
https://amzn.eu/d/3XpBjeY
61lM0xU5REL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: jonboywalton75

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
If you want a detailed picture of the incredibly creative & incestuous 60s/70s Laurel Canyon scene, I’d always recommend this book. Barney Hoskins is obsessive with detail, and yet waves it into an easy to follow story, with just the right amount of sarcasm you’d expect from British music journo.

Hotel California: Singer-Songwriters and Cocaine Cowboys in the La Canyons, 1967-1976
Thanks for the recommendation, I've just downloaded from Audible 👍😁

Reactions: Revolutions

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

Already read Heaven and Hell by Don Felder, which I enjoyed

Attachments

• 1000018670.jpg
    1000018670.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Revolutions

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I have to confess that there are some GH complications in my vinyl collection, Mrs Oxfordian much prefers to listen to hits whilst I have always been willing to explore a studio album, so we have bought a few GH over the years.

In addition I must also to confess to owning a good number of compilation albums featuring various artists, in my defence I have to say that the vast majority are very well mastered, are quality pressIngs and sound great. These were purchased as we liked the majority of the tracks but were very unlikely to buy individual LP’s of these artists.

Compilation albums have a purpose but I could not forgo the studio album, and if you are pre pared to have a rummage in the second hand bins at the record store there is some good music out there for not a huge outlay.
Tom Petty is a recommendation from me.
I have this greatest hits on Vinyl, great songs and sound fab to my ears 👍

Attachments

• 1000018713.jpg
    1000018713.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts