My thoughts on Neil Young and his Pono music player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It looks like an awkward design and seems poorly finished. With only 64GB of storage, it's also not ideal for high res files, storing only 32 albums at full 24/192 resolution.

I can see this device failing to be a success unless a major redesign takes place at the very least.

Overdose said:
It looks like an awkward design and seems poorly finished. With only 64GB of storage, it's also not ideal for high res files, storing only 32 albums at full 24/192 resolution.

I can see this device failing to be a success unless a major redesign takes place at the very least.

You missed the bit on expansion capability, 64Gb is what is fitted internally and is actually quite good for this sort of device.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Apple have had the Classic 160GB for years. 64GB is considered good, but is actually anything but.

I suppose it depends on how much music you wish to carry with you. Ultimately that would be your entire collection for greatest choice.

For info 1800 or so CDs take up over 155GB with 192Kbps VBR AAC files, this obviously reduces dramatically as you decrease compression and start using high resolution files.

As far as I'm concerned, Pono = 'pony'.

PS. I also have a 240GB iPod.

64GB? *ROFL*

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
Apple have had the Classic 160GB for years.

..and they've now canned it. The biggest current ipod you can get is 64gb, and that's not expandable either.

Least we not forget we are now in the age of cloud storage and streaming, and that's why a lot of devices just don't need the storage.

If you can listen to 64gb's worth of music before you a) need to charge again and/or b) be in the same place as your music storage in order to change what's on it, then yep, sure the older large storage models are for you. But that's really not that many people at all.

cheeseboy said:
Overdose said:
Apple have had the Classic 160GB for years.

..and they've now canned it. The biggest current ipod you can get is 64gb, and that's not expandable either.

Least we not forget we are now in the age of cloud storage and streaming, and that's why a lot of devices just don't need the storage.

If you can listen to 64gb's worth of music before you a) need to charge again and/or b) be in the same place as your music storage in order to change what's on it, then yep, sure the older large storage models are for you. But that's really not that many people at all.

As you say there is cloud storage and streaming which is alright if you happen to be in a position to get either.

These players are for people on the move just like the iPods of old. I own an ipod Classic (actually my daughter has it now) but for hiRes files it is not suitable. The Pono can be used with SD cards etc up to 128Gb and I would have no qualms about sticking a couple of these in my pocket along with the Pono.

However I feel that there are now better options available that are better designed, have a longer battery life, greater internal storage capacity, and have the ability to play DSD format files.

The Pono is just too far behind the times I am afraid.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
However I feel that there are now better options available that are better designed, have a longer battery life, greater internal storage capacity, and have the ability to play DSD format files.

The Pono is just too far behind the times I am afraid.

that's fair enough, but I never mentioned any of that, so not sure why you brought it up with regards to my post. I was only commenting on storage size...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

Yes, you might want to ask a few high profile celebs how that's working out for them right now.

Reliance upon anyone else for the safekeeping of your own data and property is not always a good idea and I suspect that online security is likely to get quite a bit worse.

I'd far rather have my own files on my person and backed up at home. Miniaturisation of solid state storage with much improved capacity allows this, so I see no reason to bother involving a third party with all the potential problems that comes with it.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
Yes, you might want to ask a few high profile celebs how that's working out for them right now.

Reliance upon anyone else for the safekeeping of your own data and property is not always a good idea and I suspect that online security is likely to get quite a bit worse.

I'd far rather have my own files on my person and backed up at home. Miniaturisation of solid state storage with much improved capacity allows this, so I see no reason to bother involving a third party with all the potential problems that comes with it.

yep, that's great, but that's just you - ie one persons viewpoint, and really doesn't reflect what's happening with the masses.

I know what you are saying, and I do agree with you, but we are in the minority I'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts