Neil Young - Some suggestions please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
How strange, I quite like CSNY at least their 'Deja Vu' work, but Joni well sadly she leave me cold, not an artist I plan to have in my small collection.

Amazing how different our tastes can be within a small collection of artists.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have any records of Joni but at a push, if I had to choose, I'd wave the Joni flag.

Reactions: Rui and Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Over the years I've purchased WHFI mag they often had "The best albums/tracks" to test your vinyl or CD or DVDs, and good old Neil tends to pop up most of them.
About time then that I added some to the collection, I've listened too a few of the suggestions everyone has made and I really cannot understand how I have missed buying anything from Neil Young over the years, the best I can offer is 'Deja Vu' by CSNY.

Reactions: Rui
About time then that I added some to the collection, I've listened too a few of the suggestions everyone has made and I really cannot understand how I have missed buying anything from Neil Young over the years, the best I can offer is 'Deja Vu' by CSNY.
Good you've discovered Neil and added it to your collection.

The only disc I have of CSNY is one of these freebies you used to find in Sunday red tops.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
No shame in owning a Greatest Hits album, I have a few from various artists where I like the hits but didn’t like them enough to buy individual albums.
My favorite compilation is decades a triple LP ,it shows more songs , this to a person that never heard a neil young Lp or starting now to have some interest ,i think that in cd is only doble but it seems that includes all songs at least that´s what someone told me

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I didn't know he made an album with just Stills. I understood they had a somewhat fractious relationship.
The album seems to be on Prime Music, so I'll give it a listen in the annoying shuffle mode!
they did record an excelent album and said to have a nice tour but when trying to record a new studio album it ended very fast. They had played together in the band Buffalo Springfield before but when two great personalities are together in a band they ended up making the band cease to exist , allthough later Young joined the folk band Crosby Stills and Nash, they might not going the same way but the friendship is above work problems, the proof is their album together with a lot of good songs around mid 70´s,and a tour that satisfied both musicians , when trying to record a second album it is said that in the first week of recordings ,Neil Young left the studio and nothing came out of that recording session

Last edited:

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Yep. It's a decent enough album as 'best of' or Greatest Hits are concerned.

Truth is I have this deep-rooted dislike of late 60s and 1970s West Coast sound.

I'm a big fan of Graham Nash when he was with The Hollies, but when he joined Crosby, Stills and Young, I instantly took a dislike to him.

IMHO, the only decent act to emerge from that scene was Joni Mitchell.
it was neil young the last to join the trio with folk songs and joni mitchel in my opinion is nothing ,just my opinion ,not all have the same taste

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
a album to have .almost seems a compilation ,not one bad song

Oxfordian

My favorite compilation is decades a triple LP ,it shows more songs , this to a person that never heard a neil young Lp or starting now to have some interest ,i think that in cd is only doble but it seems that includes all songs at least that´s what someone told me
Thanks for the heads up, I would be happy to have a CD but would prefer LP if possible.

Oxfordian

it was neil young the last to join the trio with folk songs and joni mitchel in my opinion is nothing ,just my opinion ,not all have the same taste

Joni Mitchell is an incredibly talented song writer and has penned many a superb track. People may dislike her songs or her singing but to say that she is nothing is a bit harsh.

Oxfordian

I had a bit of a result this week, I hadn't done much about resolving the lack of Neil Young in my collection but whilst the wife was doing a bit of retail therapy I had a wander in our local HMV I noticed that they had a Neil Young Official release series CD box set of discs 1,2,3 &4 on sale, this comprised of his self titled LP, Everybody knows this is nowhere, After the gold rush and Harvest for a miserly £12.99, so I picked it up.

I have to say that I am loving his music, thanks for everyone's recommendations.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Neil Young is an odd one. For so many years I was into a couple of his albums (after the Gold rush & Harvest), liked his CSNY tracks, but mostly didn’t get my friend’s obsession.

A few years back I hit the gateway drug to get beyond the blockbuster albums/greatest hits: Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. So you made a great pick.

From there it opened up a whole world of different Neil Youngs, each one totally recognisable and easy to listen to. My picks from those:
- Comes a Time/Harvest Moon (acoustic)
- Zuma/On The Beach (country/rock?)
- Tonight’s The Night/Rust Never Sleeps/Ragged Glory (raw)

Two of his new releases are amazing:
- Homegrown: material recorded between Zuma & On The Beach
- Chrome Dreams: lost album from 1977

And I’d also suggest checking out Toast: unreleased stuff from 2000ish.

Enjoy the rabbit hole. Once I got it, so much of music opened up for me. There’s something about him constantly pushing boundaries, yet the music is always familiar.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
better what? nothing like the live footage seen in movie format in late 70´s with the doble album crazy horse live rust or something similar, did anyone notice that he plays with two guitars in the record and in the movie he uses a keyboard,not he but the other crazy horse guitar player the bass player is the same his movements while playing are still the same, both still are crazy horse aren´t they

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
better what? nothing like the live footage seen in movie format in late 70´s with the doble album crazy horse live rust or something similar, did anyone notice that he plays with two guitars in the record and in the movie he uses a keyboard,not he but the other crazy horse guitar player the bass player is the same his movements while playing are still the same, both still are crazy horse aren´t they
again late

froze

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I am NOT a collector, so I really don't like buying a theme album, and Neil Young is the same thing, you buy a theme album and end up only liking 2 or 3 songs on the entire album, just seems like a huge waste of money.

So I have Neil Young's Greatest Hits, and I like every single track on that record.

I know that is sacrilege to most of you what I just said, but I'm not a collector, I just want to listen and enjoy all of what they had to offer, or at least most of the music on a single recording. I do own some theme-produced albums from other musicians but again I'm not collecting, and it just so happens that I might like most of the tracks on a particular record, for example, I have Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs, the entire album is fantastic, so I don't completely shy away from theme albums, just depends on how many tracks I like on a particular album vs getting a best of album.

I am NOT a collector, so I really don't like buying a theme album, and Neil Young is the same thing, you buy a theme album and end up only liking 2 or 3 songs on the entire album, just seems like a huge waste of money.

So I have Neil Young's Greatest Hits, and I like every single track on that record.

I know that is sacrilege to most of you what I just said, but I'm not a collector, I just want to listen and enjoy all of what they had to offer, or at least most of the music on a single recording. I do own some theme-produced albums from other musicians but again I'm not collecting, and it just so happens that I might like most of the tracks on a particular record, for example, I have Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs, the entire album is fantastic, so I don't completely shy away from theme albums, just depends on how many tracks I like on a particular album vs getting a best of album.
Oh dear... You'll never get to decide which is your best album using this factor.
You're missing out I assure you.

TRENDING THREADS