Neil Young - Some suggestions please

Oxfordian

Just found a liking for Neil Young courtesy of my brother in law playing some tracks on his phone at a BBQ last night, as a result I have Harvest lined up as a purchase and would like to add some other LP’s in the weeks and months ahead, but with a catalog as vast as his I just wondered if there any suggestions on what to avoid, whether his early stuff is better than more recent or vice versa.

I have also noticed that some of the LP’s stocked at various locations are a touch under £100 which seems very expensive so I am going to have a look at the 2nd hand stores and see what I can find via that route.

Lastly, any thoughts on artists in a similar vein, trying to broaden my horizons on the LP shelves. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Freddy58

DCarmi

Not a huge aficionado and since I use Spotify and he pulled his albums from there, chances of further discovery are a bit limited. Most stuff from the 70s are worth a listen :
  • After the Gold Rush - I prefer to Harvest, personally.
  • Harvest Moon - Early 90s.
Several of the Neil Young and Crazy Horse albums are worth a spin including:
  • Zuma
  • The afore mentioned Rust Never Sleeps
Not listened to the more recent stuff.

matthewpianist

Harvest, After The Gold Rush, Harvest Moon, Zuma, American Stars 'n Bars, On The Beach, Sleeps With Angels, Mirrorball, On The Beach, Rust Never Sleeps, Homegrown, Bluenote Cafe...

He's one of my favourite artists and I love the above albums which cover quite a range of his styles. There's plenty more that's worth listening to, but he's put so much stuff out that there's also some best left alone. One of these is the interminable Greendale.

Also well worth exploring 'Long May You Run', an album he made with Stephen Stills. 'Fountainebleau' is a wonderful track on that album. Also, 'Deja Vu' (Crosby Stills Nash and Young).

Oxfordian

Not a huge aficionado and since I use Spotify and he pulled his albums from there, chances of further discovery are a bit limited. Most stuff from the 70s are worth a listen :
  • After the Gold Rush - I prefer to Harvest, personally.
  • Harvest Moon - Early 90s.
Several of the Neil Young and Crazy Horse albums are worth a spin including:
  • Zuma
  • The afore mentioned Rust Never Sleeps
Not listened to the more recent stuff.
Thanks for the suggestions

Oxfordian

Harvest, After The Gold Rush, Harvest Moon, Zuma, American Stars 'n Bars, On The Beach, Sleeps With Angels, Mirrorball, On The Beach, Rust Never Sleeps, Homegrown, Bluenote Cafe...

He's one of my favourite artists and I love the above albums which cover quite a range of his styles. There's plenty more that's worth listening to, but he's put so much stuff out that there's also some best left alone. One of these is the interminable Greendale.

Also well worth exploring 'Long May You Run', an album he made with Stephen Stills. 'Fountainebleau' is a wonderful track on that album. Also, 'Deja Vu' (Crosby Stills Nash and Young).
Thanks for these suggestions, I have added them to the list, I actually have a couple of copies of 'Deja Vu' (long story - not for here).

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Well, i am a fan since early age ,even "times fade away" it´s a good album to me, all other´s refered are also very good there´s that LP that i don´t like but it starts with "rockin´ in a free world" acoustic and at the end the most known version of this song played hard ,the album it´s "freedom" from late 80´s, "tonight´s the night"70´s , there´s lot´s of interesting albums, the triple lp "decade" a compilation , also can show from which Lp´s the songs were released, like "after the gold rush", later "comes a time" the doble lp live from rust never sleeps with a movie version (already in dvd) in late 70´s,the rythm on the LP is played by guitar ,in the movie by a electronic keyboard , it´s endless depending on one´s taste

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxfordian

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site

Agree with all these.

I would also add Live Rust, Hitchhiker and Neil Young Unplugged

Reactions: Rui and Oxfordian

DCarmi

I didn't know he made an album with just Stills. I understood they had a somewhat fractious relationship.
The album seems to be on Prime Music, so I'll give it a listen in the annoying shuffle mode!
OK so Az Prime Music is pants... I got 2 tracks and off it went on a tangent. Listening to on my PC from YT Music.

There are times when you want to enjoy the original album as intended and there are times when you just want instant gratification. I have some fairly complete collections and their Greatest Hits, as well.
Yep. It's a decent enough album as 'best of' or Greatest Hits are concerned.

Truth is I have this deep-rooted dislike of late 60s and 1970s West Coast sound.

I'm a big fan of Graham Nash when he was with The Hollies, but when he joined Crosby, Stills and Young, I instantly took a dislike to him.

IMHO, the only decent act to emerge from that scene was Joni Mitchell.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Yep. It's a decent enough album as 'best of' or Greatest Hits are concerned.

Truth is I have this deep-rooted dislike of late 60s and 1970s West Coast sound.

I'm a big fan of Graham Nash when he was with The Hollies, but when he joined Crosby, Stills and Young, I instantly took a dislike to him.

IMHO, the only decent act to emerge from that scene was Joni Mitchell.
How strange, I quite like CSNY at least their 'Deja Vu' work, but Joni well sadly she leave me cold, not an artist I plan to have in my small collection.

Amazing how different our tastes can be within a small collection of artists.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts