Nasty distorted bass . . . confusion!

DudleyPowell

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, firstly if this is in the wrong part of the forums please excuse me, I'm new here!

Firstly, gear: Thornes Td160 (Ortofon VMS3E, all others parts stock) Myryad MI120, Graham Slee Gram Amp, Celestion Ditton 44's.

So, out of nowhere a nasty, farty distorted bass has appaeared within my system. In BOTH speakers, at the same time. Some records sound ok with it, others sound really bad.
So, I've done some process of elimination. It's not the TT, as i've plugged in other audio sources with the same result, I've also used a different amp with an integrated phono: same result, so its not the Myryad or Graham Slee. And as I said, the problem is in both speakers and happened suddenly, so it seems very unlikely its a speaker fault.
I've tried some different speakers, much smaller Tannoy M1's, and the problem wasn't noticeable, but those speakers are drastically smaller than the Ditton's so I'm not sure they would pick up the low distorted bass that the comes out of the Ditton's.

Help!!!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DudleyPowell said:
Hi everyone, firstly if this is in the wrong part of the forums please excuse me, I'm new here!

Firstly, gear: Thornes Td160 (Ortofon VMS3E, all others parts stock) Myryad MI120, Graham Slee Gram Amp, Celestion Ditton 44's.

So, out of nowhere a nasty, farty distorted bass has appaeared within my system. In BOTH speakers, at the same time. Some records sound ok with it, others sound really bad. So, I've done some process of elimination. It's not the TT, as i've plugged in other audio sources with the same result, I've also used a different amp with an integrated phono: same result, so its not the Myryad or Graham Slee. And as I said, the problem is in both speakers and happened suddenly, so it seems very unlikely its a speaker fault. I've tried some different speakers, much smaller Tannoy M1's, and the problem wasn't noticeable, but those speakers are drastically smaller than the Ditton's so I'm not sure they would pick up the low distorted bass that the comes out of the Ditton's.

Help!!!

Speakers problem for me, are they on stands or have you moved them etc?

DudleyPowell

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
They're not on stands, but both raised about 2 feet off the ground on a stone ledge. ( not ideal I know)

One of the speakers has had a dodgy terminal since forever but its not caused sonic issues. I'm just confused as to how a fault like this could come out of both of the speakers so suddenly, as they each have their own drivers / crossovers etc etc?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
You said you've tried 2 amps with the same result which is why I plumped for speakers. I should try disconnecting and reconnecting cables next. You haven't changed cables or interconnects have you?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If it's always in both speakers equally and at the same time, it sounds unlikely to be a fault in the speakers, unless there is one cable that supplies both.

Could it be a problem with spikes in your electricity supply? Or something else connected to the circuit which is causing a hum? Say if your fridge or heating system has developed a fault and is putting a nasty signal into the electrical circuit each time it switches on.

Guesses only – I am no expert.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
If it's always in both speakers equally and at the same time, it sounds unlikely to be a fault in the speakers, unless there is one cable that supplies both.

Could it be a problem with spikes in your electricity supply? Or something else connected to the circuit which is causing a hum? Say if your fridge or heating system has developed a fault and is putting a nasty signal into the electrical circuit each time it switches on.

Guesses only – I am no expert.
Hope he hasn't got his heating on yet unless he's at the top of Norway.
Your idea is definitely worth checking out.
Ditton 15s are old speakers though.

DudleyPowell

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
This would make sense as electricity is the only thing that I've not checked. The system runs off an extension with no problems that I'm aware of, but it shares the extension with a few other things.

DudleyPowell

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Just went round the house, turned off every single plug socket and light switch, and the problem remained.
Also took everything out of the extension cable apart from TT and amps, still no difference. I'm getting the speakers looked at next week anyway, just to sort out the crossovers and bias etc, so hopefully something changes after that!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A few more thoughts:
– Have you unplugged all other hi-fi components but the source you're using? It might be one of the connected components, even if not switched on, that's causing the noise.
– Is the noise constant, or intermittent?
– Are your speakers near any electrical or magnetic source, especially one you've moved or added recently?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts