New TT/Phono Amp advice

robbo400

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I will be splitting my time 50:50 overseas for work over the next 2 years. I have a company-provided flat and have brought what is now my second system from the UK with me, to which I want to add a turntable.

The system is currently a 1990s budget system (Cambridge Audio A1 amp, CD5 and T500 tuner with Jamo E660 floorstanders). The room is large with solid wooden floors and minimal soft furnishings, yet the Jamo speakers really work a treat with their separate bass port and SQ is surprisingly good (confirmed by a friend of mine who is a big Musical Fidelity fan) given the limitations of the equipment.

I guess the immediate conclusion would be to buy a budget phono amp (no phono input on my amp) and a budget TT as the amp limitations would make it worthless to spend more. However, I think I will be upgrading all components over the next 6 months so would like to buy a TT/Phono Amp that can handle the upgrades I'll make in the near future. My upgrade amp will either be a valve model (been looking at reviews of the Icon Audio Stereo 60) or one of the more musical solid state makes (MF, Sonneteer, Astin Trew) so I want to buy a TT/Phono Amp that will sit comfortably at that level.

Everybody seems to swear by the quality of the Rega TTs. I've seen them on display and they just seem a bit light and fragile for my ham-fisted lack of finesse (I use a Sansui SR 838 in my main system which is bullet-proof). I read a review a couple of months back (I think in HiFI News) of the Pro-Ject Xtension 9 which interests me and I'm also intrigued by the Linn LP12 Basik, Funk Firm Little Super Deck, Michell, Nottingham and others. I am looking for a traditional analogue sound rather than something which is too analytical.

Regarding cartridge/ Phono Amp, I am totally lost. I've looked at Icon Audio amps and Graham Slee amps on line. I'd imagine I'll start with an MM cartridge but I'd like the flexibility of changing to MC down the road. Also, the day I buy the TT I'll treat myself to the much raved about Beatles Mono collection and I may well buy other 50s/60s mono recordings although most will be stereo. So ideally I'd like a warm sounding amp that can handle both MM/MC and offers a Stereo/Mono switch.

Any ideas? Thanks

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I honestly think valves are the best way to go regarding vinyl - that may upset the SS applecart but so be it!

You have a lot of questions regarding phono and carts and it really is a suck it and see approach

Impossible to answer all your questions - try and get amp and speakers demoed first - then start looking at a deck - Love my Gyrodec and its a good step,up from the Rega RP6 I had

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I would consider the Analogue Works Turntable One as Waxy did or the Turntable Two. Cartridge wise, you'll get Nag recommendations here. I'm very pleased with my Goldring G1042.

phon amp wise I am very, very pleased with my Slee Reflex M. You can spec a mono switch at time of order if you wish and I assume this applies to his cheaper stages too. I'm certain I'll never go the MC route, but if I were to change my mind I would happily use a step up unit like the Slee Elevator.

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Captain Sensible said:
Hi Robbo,

Had a LP12 but changed it for the following reason

1/ if you have any sort of movement on the floor it will make the arm bounce across the vinyl LP. A wall bracket can fix this problem though

2/ LP12's needs to be set up by a dealer and then serviced on a regular basis to sound their best.

Changed my LP12 for a Michell Orb an amazing sounding turntable even with it's own tecnoarm.

Only thing I did not like with the Orbe was changing the wire into slots for 33 and 45 speed.

My current deck is better than the last two and is built like a solid peace of iron. Changes speed instantly , has a stereo bandwidth that equals digital. digs out the finest detail you don't here on other decks. So what is this turntable = SME Model 10. When I ordered mine it took three month to build. They don’t come up as a demo very often but here is one here from a top dealer I would add. If your budget can match the price I would strongly recommend this deck that needs no future servicing.

http://hi-fishop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=246

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
robbo400 said:
Thanks Steve. By the way, are you please with your Icon Audio amp and phono stage?

Very pleased yes - its taken a lot of money and heartache here but am really pleased with what I have!

Cant ever imagine going back to a SS amp

robbo400

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I called Icon Audio yesterday and spoke to David Shaw. Incredibly friendly and helpful and offered me a demo at their offices when I'm next back in the UK.

In addition to the phono stage, I also spoke about the eventual upgrade of my amp. He actually advised me to buy a cheaper version than the one I was considering given the background I gave him. How untypical and pleasant - seemed a very genuine guy. Also, their stuff gets great reviews.

So I think I'll go with the valve Icon Audio amp which has the MM/MC and Stereo/Mono flexibility I'm looking for.

Now for a weekend of looking at turntables in a country where I barely speak the language!!

robbo400

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Captain: Your reply was very helpful; please don't apologise. Getting the equipment from UK to Switzerland is the easier part. Choosing the right equipment is the hard bit!

I've looked at the SME website further to your comments (my only concern is that some reviews portray it as analytical/clinical) and added that to my list. I've also discounted the LP12 for practical reasons.

I hunted around today but only saw Rega decks (not for me) and Thorens. I think I only saw the base Thorens models as the sound was rather bright (my comparison being my Sansui SR-838 through an integrated AU-317 with built-in phono stage). I think I'll look/choose back in the UK and get things shipped out.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
robbo400 said:
Thanks Steve. By the way, are you please with your Icon Audio amp and phono stage?

Very pleased yes - its taken a lot of money and heartache here but am really pleased with what I have!

Cant ever imagine going back to a SS amp

Wow, quite some statement but I am glad you have found your nirvana

regards

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Since vinyl is an unknown medium for me, I wonder what's the big advantage compared to a CD or FLAC file?

Is a TT a complement to my system or is my system not suited for vinyl, apart from the missing phonostage?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts