My new system - Naim Nait 5i-2 based

Juzzie Wuzzie

I've started on my second system - purely for hifi use - and thought I'd keep interested readers updated. On Sunday, I collected (second hand) a Naim 5i-2 stero amplifier. Next step, speakers - with Neat IOTAs (in white) on order. They should arive this week, and then we will be all go. The first source that I will use will be an Apple Airport Express directly into the Naim (i.e. using the AEX's DAC). So, to start:

AEX --> Naim 5i-2 --> Neat IOTAs

Initially, I'll use a basic interconnect, speaker cable, and power cable, although I expect all three will eventually be upgraded. The first 'change' however, will be:

ATV(3) --> Naim 5i-2 --> Neat IOTAs

to see if there is any (to my ear) discernable difference between the AEX and the ATV. I'll use a basic CYP or FiiO DAC to begin with.

Will post an update once the first listen has been achieved.

Juzzie Wuzzie

First listen has been achieved, and I was blown away by the sound. I have to say that I heard features on certain tracks that I hadn't heard before (even through headphones). The first listen was achieved by setting up the system on the dining room table (anticipation induced speed) in the following manner:

iPad (1st generation) - Apple Component Cable --> Naim 5i-2 - Maplin 'generic' speaker cable (*) --> Neat IOATAs

The first four tracks I listened to were:

1. Salmonella Dub 'Love Your Ways'

2. La Roux 'Bulletproof'

3. Portishead 'Sour Times'

4. Tinie Tempah 'Pass Out'

All brought a smile to my face, and I found the set up quite engrossing. Music was warmer and enveloped me, which was probably a factor of the fact that for the last four years, music listening had been done via an AV amplifier and surround sound speakers. I did notice, however, that the IOATAs are quite 'directional' in that your ear really does need to be at speaker level to truly enjoy them. Such placement should be an issue once I have the system where I want it to be.

As time was limited, I put everything away, except for the IOTAs which I placed on their intended home - either side of the television. At this point, I learnt a lesson in assumption. Don't assume because something is a) small and b) the same colour as its surrounds that it will appeal to the better half. My heart sank (and thoughts of a return) as the comment was passed that 'jeez, those speakers are ugly'. Lucky I didn't get the Motive 2 SEs, as that might have ended in divorce.

Stay tuned for part III, as the system is set up in its proper home, and listening achieved through an Airport Express and an Apple TV. At the moment, the cats are enjoying the speaker 'burn in' with a selection of mash-ups and dub step. If my limited technical skills allow, I should be able to post some photos.

(*) used to ensure lenghts and placement are correct before investing in some QED / Chord speaker cable. That said, the generic stuff sounds pretty good!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I once had a listen to a Naim amp & neat speaker combo & found it a really good listen, But i had already invested in a pair of sonus faber cremona's speakers, which am currently using Unison amp & Audiolab M-DAC. U must be hearing something special now, cause i still remember how good that combo sounded. enjoy ur setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts