Speakers matching with Naim Nait 5i in my room

Hi guys

I have a Naim Nait 5i amplifier, laptop connected via usb with a Rega Dac, and a pair of monitor audio silver rx6.
My setup is looking like the picture (7m x 4m):
C8Je0i.png

I don't like the combi of the monitor audio's and the amp, so i'm selling my speakers. The sound is to bright for me, not enough body, sounds flat, ...

The question: what speakers would you recommend for the Naim Nait 5i in the room I live. It's not possible to rotate my setup (I know it would be better), but that's not possible (windows / doors).

Thanks

Joël

Hi Joel.this combo of the Naim 5i and m/a are a recipe for a fatiguing sound,neither of them being known for a laid back presentation. Your left speaker position is the first cause of concern to me. I Just see a boomy bloated big piece of bass in that area, especially with a floorstander like the silver rx6's. I used to have a set and had to return them for a similar reason. I think a decent standmount would be a better proposition in your room. Probably a front ported design would work better here, the focal aria 906's spring to mind and there refined presentation should work well with the 5i certainly worth a demo (home if you can)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the nut house, Joël!

Three questions for you:

1. How much can we help you spend?

2. What brands do you have access to for demo?

3. What's your taste in music? Do you listen loud? Home parties and stuff?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi have a look at kef r700 or r300

you can try atc scm19 or 40 for even better sound but more money

just make sure you demo to make sure your amp can handle

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
How far is your seating off the back wall? The closer you are sitting to the back wall, the more it will be negatively affecting what you're going to hear.

That aside, and taking into account you have a Nait 5i rather than a powerhouse, you can try the Rega RX floorstanders, Sonus Faber's Toy Towers, KEF Q700, Bowers & Wilkins 683 S2, Quad S4, or the Q Acoustics Concept 40 as a good bunch of starters. Unless you'd like to investigate standmounts...

Joël Verheyen said:
Hi guys

I have a Naim Nait 5i amplifier, laptop connected via usb with a Rega Dac, and a pair of monitor audio silver rx6.My setup is looking like the picture (7m x 4m):I don't like the combi of the monitor audio's and the amp, so i'm selling my speakers. The sound is to bright for me, not enough body, sounds flat, ...

The question: what speakers would you recommend for the Naim Nait 5i in the room I live. It's not possible to rotate my setup (I know it would be better), but that's not possible (windows / doors).

Thanks

Joël

Not surprised. I've owned the RS6s and really loved, but paired with Naim is a NO NO. If you don't mind s/hand then PMC GB1is will fit the bill beautifully. Although a floorstander, they are compact and their ATL is front firing, which makes them a little easier to place.

Neat Motive 2 should also hit the spot, as will Dynaudio standmounters.

Thanks man!

1) My max budget is 1000€-1500€.
2) I like to buy speakers 2nd hand, because I can get mor quality for less money. So, I'm willing to buy some speakers I didn't hear. If I don't like them, just selling them for same price... that's what I had in mind.

3) I like to listen to jazz, accoustic music, warm voices. I like to listen to warm sounds, mellow, not bright.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Joël Verheyen said:
I like to listen to jazz, accoustic music, warm voices. I like to listen to warm sounds, mellow, not bright.

Then I think the speakers are not the whole problem.

I suggest this amplifier, or any good Sugden A21 you can afford ...

clicky

You mentioned buying and selling second-hand. That example will sell easily for the same amount if you don't like it.

Your Nait 5i will sell well too.

Then sort out the speakers. Something ported from Spendor's Classic range maybe ...

SP3/1R²

They look like an easy load and will give you their legendary Spendor Classic neutrality.

(They are 88dB @1m for 1 Watt and 8 Ohms with a minimum impedance of 5.7 Ohms.)

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Joël Verheyen said:
3) I like to listen to jazz, accoustic music, warm voices. I like to listen to warm sounds, mellow, not bright.

I have a Nait 5i (non italic) and a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. I listen to the kind of music you describe and like it a lot. It shouldn't be difficult to audition these speakers with your amp.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Joël Verheyen said:
Allright!

I will try the LS50. They are outstanding as I can see in reviews, and they look great. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I found they appreciate solid stands and a bit of room from the rear wall. My old wobbly stands resulted in an unfocussed bass but the new stands are rigid and the bass sounds incredible now given their size.

The sound that comes out of these small speakers defies belief at times.

iceman16

Joël Verheyen said:
Okay, so buy some good stands does the trick. What stands did you buy?

You can try Atacama Nexus speaker stands and fill them with sand or atabites. I use them with my LS50s and they sound really good. I also use some blutak between speakers and stand.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Joël Verheyen said:
Okay, so buy some good stands does the trick. What stands did you buy?

You can try Atacama Nexus speaker stands and fill them with sand or atabites. I use them with my LS50s and they sound really good. I also use some blutak between speakers and stand.

I have the same stands with sand in them and some blutak underneath the speakers. Works really well!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts