Speakers recommendation for Naim Nait 3 / Rega Planar 2

Wagtail

Jul 6, 2023
Visit site
I am just going through getting my HiFi equipment and records/cds out of a 10 year enforced storage.
I have a Rega Planar 2 turntable and a Naim Nait 3 amp both purchased in the 2000s, - the turntable new and the amp was 2nd hand - but had been serviced by Naim prior to my purchase. I also have a Marantz 6000 Ki Sig cd player, but I have a very large record collection compared to cds so vinyl will be the main playing source.
My current speakers are Mission 760s which I bought about 1989 - they were initially paired with a Dual turntable and Denon receiver..
I think I'll probably need to upgrade the speakers as they are likely a lower spec than the amp/turntable. Can anyone recommend speakers to go with the Nait 3 / Planar 2 pairing, I was thinking of spending up to £400/€450.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum.
If the turntable is that old it may need a new belt and / or cartridge.
Speakers are very personal and we have no idea of your room size so it's difficult to suggest any.
The speakers need to suit your room and not necessarily your amp.
Can you go to audition any?
Also do you want standmount to replace your Missions?

Wagtail

Jul 6, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
If the turntable is that old it may need a new belt and / or cartridge.
Speakers are very personal and we have no idea of your room size so it's difficult to suggest any.
The speakers need to suit your room and not necessarily your amp.
Can you go to audition any?
Also do you want standmount to replace your Missions?
Thanks for replying.
The room size is about 3m x 4.4m
I already have the turntable and amp out of storage but not the speakers or records yet.
Visually the turntable seems to be running ok but I can't really test it without speakers & records. I had looked into getting new belt, but hopefully mightn't need one, but may buy an ebay one as backup - the prices I saw for a original Rega ones shocked me, but if I have to get one I will.
The old Mission 760s I have are standmount/book shelf, so I'll stick with that.
I don't really have an option for testing, I bought the original equipment in London with testing rooms etc, but I'm now in small-town rural Ireland, so I'll probably have to buy mail order/online.
Thanks again.

Thanks for replying.
I already have the turntable and amp out of storage but not the speakers or records yet.
Visually the turntable seems to be running ok but I can't really test it without speakers & records. I had looked into getting new belt, but hopefully mightn't need one, but may buy an ebay one as backup - the prices I saw for a original Rega ones shocked me, but if I have to get one I will.
I don't really have an option for testing, I bought the original equipment in London with testing rooms etc, but I'm now in small-town rural Ireland, so I'll probably have to buy mail order/online.
Thanks again.
Ok, not too sure what you can get for your money over there but look at Mission QX2 mk2 , Monitor Audio Bronze 100 or Wharfedale Diamond 12.2.
All of these a good all-rounders

Reactions: Wagtail

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Get a new belt for sure. They are only £17 for a genuine one or you could get a Thakker one (very good make) for around £9. As a comparison a Linn belt is around £60!!

As for speakers, audition if you can. They do vary a lot. They also vary a lot from the store to your home.

I'd add Dali Oberon 1's to the list the Al Ears has above

Reactions: Wagtail and Al ears
Thanks for replying.
Thanks again.
If you can tell us what speaker brands are available in Ireland that would help.

Wagtail

Jul 6, 2023
Visit site
Get a new belt for sure. They are only £17 for a genuine one or you could get a Thakker one (very good make) for around £9. As a comparison a Linn belt is around £60!!

As for speakers, audition if you can. They do vary a lot. They also vary a lot from the store to your home.

I'd add Dali Oberon 1's to the list the Al Ears has above
Thanks, my initial searches were showing about €50 for a new original Rega belt, so £17 is more manageable, I'll definitely get one.. I'll check out the Oberons. Thanks again.

Wagtail

Jul 6, 2023
Visit site
If you can tell us what speaker brands are available in Ireland that would help.
Most Speaker brands that are available in the UK would be available in Ireland, and if not could probably be ordered online from UK suppliers. One easy example is Richer Sounds who have a '.ie' site that seems to charge the roughly same prices as their '.com' UK site.

Reactions: Al ears
Most Speaker brands that are available in the UK would be available in Ireland, and if not could probably be ordered online from UK suppliers. One easy example is Richer Sounds who have a '.ie' site that seems to charge the roughly same prices as their '.com' UK site.
I guess it would have to be online with RicherSounds as I don't think they have any shops outside of the Belfast one.

Reactions: plastic penguin
What hi-fi shops are local and what do they stock?

I know from demoing older Naim they do like a smoother presentation such as Dali, Dynaudio... but you really need to demo some before buying. There's no guarantee you'll like the sound.

Wagtail

Jul 6, 2023
Visit site
What hi-fi shops are local and what do they stock?

I know from demoing older Naim they do like a smoother presentation such as Dali, Dynaudio... but you really need to demo some before buying. There's no guarantee you'll like the sound.
The only localish shop that sells, proper HiFi equipment has im speakers: Denon Ceol SC N10 for €125; Kef 350s €525;, or Q Acoustics 3010i €185, it has those specific 3 speakers not the full brand ranges and doesn't AFAIK have a listening room, the HiFi is just a side range to other business, although as shown above pricing does seem competitive.

The only localish shop that sells, proper HiFi equipment has im speakers: Denon Ceol SC N10 for €125; Kef 350s €525;, or Q Acoustics 3010i €185, it has those specific 3 speakers not the full brand ranges and doesn't AFAIK have a listening room, the HiFi is just a side range to other business, although as shown above pricing does seem competitive.
I would certainly demo Q Acoustics and Kef 'Q' or 'R' ranges as long as they're not the LS50s - they would be way too revealing or bright to live with for older Naims.

Wagtail

Jul 6, 2023
Visit site
Ok, not too sure what you can get for your money over there but look at Mission QX2 mk2 , Monitor Audio Bronze 100 or Wharfedale Diamond 12.2.
All of these a good all-rounders
How do you think Rega Kytes would go with the Nait 3? A local music shop (without a listening room) has them at €469., For price comprisions here in Ireland, I could get the Mission QX2s, MA. Bronzes, & Dali Oberon 1s for €449 each and the Wharfedales for €339, but all would be ordered online so no testing is possible..
Thanks.

Last edited:
How do you think Rega Kytes would go with the Nait 3? A local music shop (without a listening room) has them at €469., For price comprisions here in Ireland, I could get the Mission QX2s, MA. Bronzes, & Dali Oberon 1s for €449 each and the Wharfedales for €339, but all would be ordered online so no testing is possible..
Thanks.
If you have to do that then buy some you can either send back, on a trial basis, or if you cannot do that then buy those that you could easily sell on.
That is anything other than the Kytes......

Wagtail

Jul 6, 2023
Visit site
Just a quick update, to where I'm at. I eventually got all my stuff out of storage, and now have my old system set up, although my speakers (Mission 760s) are just on the floor and windowsill, I still haven't located my stands in the jumble of boxes!
As many of you advised, I did indeed need a new turntable belt, the 33 in particular was running slow and a new belt (the Rega EBLT, €21 + €7.50pp) fixed it straight away. Just hearing proper HiFi sounds is blowing me away for now, so I've decided to wait before buying new speakers and leave everything settle in first. I will probably buy a cheap streamer/internet radio hifi separate first, and then consider the speakers again.
I was always a vinyl person, but listening to my Marantz 6000ki sig, while waiting for the new Rega belt to arrive made me appreciate my CDs as well.
Anyway thanks for all the advice you all generously provided.

phunny12000

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
I've got the mission qx2's and once bedded in they're amazing especially for the price, shocking good bass for bookshelf and especially on stands
I actually bought another pair after being a bit disappointed but giving my original pair time to "settle" and would whole heartedly recommend them, and the build is up there with any speakers at any price, very deep speakers size wise though and heavy

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Nice! Glad you like your new speakers. If you are dipping your toe into streaming on a budget, the wiim pro plus is amazing value. You'll find it on Amazon.
You can also find stuff on Adverts.ie, there are a couple of bluesound node's available.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
get yourself the little belter blue belt.

TRENDING THREADS