My Marantz CD6002 is dead...need help!

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Two years ago I bought a brand new Marantz CD6002 from a high street retailer and within the first year of purchase it developed a fault that whenever I pressed the eject button the tray would open and then close back immediately so sent it back to the shop which had it repaired from the manufacturer.

Now its out of warranty and it refuses to play any CD. After I put a CD in all I get on display is "No CD" message on display so I opened the cover and put a CD in, I immediately noticed that it does not even spin the CD to read TOC. When I nudge the gear which moves the laser on its rails it then starts working.

Has anyone had this problem and does it need a new laser assembly? I was told by someone that this model uses a Sony laser can someone tell me which model and where to get it from. I can try and replace it myself.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nadeem

T

the record spot

Current legislation entitles you to return goods to the point of purchase, although it is up to you to prove there is an inherent fault with the machine (which it sounds like). Check with the likes of the Money Saving Expert forum, or consumer advice sites out there, before you start shelling out for new bits.

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Chebby for the make & model and the link to website and The Record Spot, mathewpiano for your good suggestions, I will definitely go that route first and see if I can convince the retailer to have it fixed, if not then I will try replacing the assembly myself but only as a last resort.

Thanks once again

Regards

Nadeem

T

the record spot

Should've said: legislation entitles you to take a product back to the point of sale if a fault develops within five years, though you have then to prove the fault is inherent within the item. You can't insist on a replacement, obviously enough, outwith the warranty period, but the retailer, I think (not certain hence why you should check the details elsewhere), can't refuse to acknowledge your issue.

And anyway, two years for a Marantz CDP is rubbish. They should; you got a duffer unfortunately, but take it back to the shop and see what they're offering.

A

Anonymous

I concur, don't let them fob you off with it's outside the guarantee now so nothing we can do unfortunately line

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Can't help with the non-playing CD problem I'm afraid, but interested to hear that you had the issue with the drawer closing immediately after opening. I had exactly the same problem with my CD6002, within the same timeframe as you did. I just decided to live with it as I'd bought it online and couldn't be bothered sending it back for repair.

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Just to update that I have finally managed to fix my Marantz (no thanks to Sevenoaks HiFi).

As suggested by some members I first went to the retailer but as expected got the answer that since it was out of warranty they could only fix it for free if the manufacturer authorised the repair and they told me to write to Marantz UK.

Well, instead of taking their advice I bought the original Sony KSS laser assembly from an eBay seller in Hong Kong and replaced it myself.

At first it did not work and I got the same message on display "No Disc" but a few members on DIYAudio suggested to remove the solder blob which most of the KSS assemblies are shipped with so I removed it and now my Marantz CD6002 works perfectly.

The replacement only cost me £12 including postage and it took me less than 20 minutes to do it and I think it also saved me from a lot of hassle and postage cost to write to the manufacturer and then ship it to them for repair if they had agreed.

I am really happy and satisfied that I managed to fix it myself and I would like to thank all of you for your helpful advice.

Best regards

Nadeem

T

the record spot

Glad to hear you managed to fix your CD player Nadeem. Hopefully you won't need to call on the legislation at all in future!

(And nice one for not just chucking the player either - always the easy option these days).

phil8702

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I've had the same problem and am about to repace the laser head for the second time. Seems like the problem is with the Sony (Shenzen) head unit. Have to agree unfortunately that Sevenoaks after sales service is pretty bad in my experience.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Well done for your determination and ability to do the repair. As discussed on another thread, my 4 year old marantz cd player went faulty last year (transformer fault). Marantz is held in high regard generally on this forum, but increasingly I suspect quality control on all popular modern electronic items is non existent. I have had to replace faulty equipment(gone faulty within 5 years) made by samsung(tv), marantz(cd player), toshiba(computer), denon(tuner) and cambridge audio(tuner, amplifier) over the last few years, fortunately mainly covered under extended warranty by Richer Sounds(god knows how their 5 year warranties are financially viable). I honestly think its become normal to sell things that are likely to fail.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CDP are not built to last these days, I had a Marantz cdp for 20 years and its fine, you are probably better off buying a used cdp than new budget ones.

I read similar stories about the Marantz 5007.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
CDP are not built to last these days, I had a Marantz cdp for 20 years and its fine, you are probably better off buying a used cdp than new budget ones.

I read similar stories about the Marantz 5007.
Hi,

My old marantz cd63se is nearly 20 years old, still going strong, they don't make them like they use to. Even my consonance cd-120 linear has gone through 2 transports in five years, thank goodness the seller was able to replace the transports at minimum costs.

Cheers

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts