Mark on my Plasma Screen

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

God knows if the replacement screen will be good too, most it seems are bad! So I don't want another bad one.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
For this particular problem, this is the first panel replacement. So you cannot ask for a VT65 straightaway. That would be unfair to JL.

I can't see the replacement screen lasting for me though. Given the amount of problems they have had I can't only see another fault appearing. I would prefer it sorted now but I guess I we just have to wait and see what they say now. I got told that if the screen that they ordered can go back free of charge to the people they ordered it from then they would do the swap for me.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
bigboss said:
For this particular problem, this is the first panel replacement. So you cannot ask for a VT65 straightaway. That would be unfair to JL.

I can't see the replacement screen lasting for me though. Given the amount of problems they have had I can't only see another fault appearing. I would prefer it sorted now but I guess I we just have to wait and see what they say now. I got told that if the screen that they ordered can go back free of charge to the people they ordered it from then they would do the swap for me.

are they willing to do a straight swap with no extra cost?

at least your getting a replacement / swap and they have accepted the tv has a fault. My tv came back yesterday with the fault still there so I now have to fight my retailer and probably go down the credit card route for a resolution |(

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

To rocketrazor

Is your problem vertical bands that show on green backgrounds on fast panning camera shots?

And, if Panasonic are saying it's a broadcast fault, why don;t you set up a comparison of the same broadcast material with another tv, and show them the difference?

I have the legendary dse, which has got worse, so I'll be contacting JL about sorting the problem once my record player is finally sorted.

Why don't you name and shame the retailer, they've not helped you one bit, and you will atleast help someone else who is thinking about dealing with them?

To gel

I'm sure JL will come good, though you can't blame them for trying to fix the problem first.

When I do get round to ringing them about my dse, I'll be expecting them to try a fix first, and I know, and you know that they won;t be able to fix this problem. I just hope they don't give me the within spec bollocks.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi bbb,

mines not Dse. Mines two vertical white lines that are visible on a blank screen (hdmi input) that then shows colour distortion on panning shots.

ive sent an email and letter to my retailer today asking for a full refund. Will phone the credit company tonight when my 0845 calls are free.

hope you get yours sorted out with no hassle

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Gel, when you say that you want to swap for a VT65, are you asking for a straight swap (i.e. no more money is paid), or are you suggesting that you'll pay the difference in price between models?

If it's the former, I can understand JL's position, since the VT65 is a more expensive, newer, and higher specification model. If it's the latter, I'd imagine JL would be more accommodating.

Things get complicated because JL don't stock the equivalent model from this years range of Panasonic plasmas (GT60), or even the model down, technically (ST60). I know you know this, which is why you're asking for a VT65.

I think you have to go the repair route first and see how you get on. If there's still a problem, you should have more bargaining power.

For what it's worth, the VT65 isn't a perfect TV and you'll notice certain minor issues after living with it for a while.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel,

How many repairs or exchanges have you had on your GT50 since you bought it? It's a crucial point because there is an argument that if you have already gone through multiple sets and/or repairs that a replacement would be a perfectly acceptable resolution so what's the situation there mate?

As others have stated John Lewis do have the right to attempt a repair first and after making a "reasonable" attempt to rectify the issue a replacement or refund would be the next step, 3 attempts is considered reasonable.

The conflicting advice from John Lewis is not good and has obviously left you frustrated and annoyed and I would point to that when you speak to them next about how you proceed forward and as strapped has pointed out matters are further complicated by the lack of Panasonic plasmas they are stocking this year. I am of the opinion that could work in your favour though...if a replacement is deemed the way forward then I don't see why you should have to pay as it's not your fault they don't stock the equivalent model leaving a VT65 the only option despite it being a higher spec model but they may be inclined to refund you instead.

You could always go into the store as well and see what they say as speaking face to face is always better than over the phone or by email and after all the TV came from there, wait for their next communication though and if you aren't happy with the decision decide what to do next. That's what I would do and then try to negotiate with them over the phone or in store.

Keep us posted with how you get on.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, I would like to swap for a VT65 and pay the difference for it. I have had three GT50's now and don't want anymore. The lady came back today and said she can't find the phone conversation I had where they said about a swap. So she is now going to call again next week. So I am not getting anywhere at the moment. I will pop Instore tomorrow and see what I can do. Cheers guys.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Yep, I would like to swap for a VT65 and pay the difference for it. I have had three GT50's now and don't want anymore. The lady came back today and said she can't find the phone conversation I had where they said about a swap. So she is now going to call again next week. So I am not getting anywhere at the moment. I will pop Instore tomorrow and see what I can do. Cheers guys.

Agreed. After going through 3 GT50 TVs enough is enough in my humble opinion and gives you room to negotiate about a replacement, you have been reasonable in your attempts to get the issue resolved but I think John Lewis will still angle for a repair which they are entitled to do BUT...

When you consider the hassle and differing advice you have received and the fact that they are now unable to find the phone conversation where a replacement was promised I'm of the mind that there should be room for some friendly negotiation especially when you take into account the time it's taking for them to make an actual firm decision.

At this point I think it's well worth popping into the store and having a word with the manager and explaining the situation because right now you must feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall as you seem to be going round in circles at best, it may turn out that they don't deal with these sorts of things in store but it's certainly worth a try.

Best of luck and I hope you get better news tomorrow :pray:

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

Agreed. After going through 3 GT50 TVs enough is enough in my humble opinion and gives you room to negotiate about a replacement, you have been reasonable in your attempts to get the issue resolved but I think John Lewis will still angle for a repair which they are entitled to do BUT...

When you consider the hassle and differing advice you have received and the fact that they are now unable to find the phone conversation where a replacement was promised I'm of the mind that there should be room for some friendly negotiation especially when you take into account the time it's taking for them to make an actual firm decision.

At this point I think it's well worth popping into the store and having a word with the manager and explaining the situation because right now you must feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall as you seem to be going round in circles at best, it may turn out that they don't deal with these sorts of things in store but it's certainly worth a try.

Best of luck and I hope you get better news tomorrow :pray:

Cheers mate, appreciate it. If I did manage a swap with a VT65 it would only cost me £270 more after price match because I paid £1206 for my GT50, so definitely worth a shot. We will see tomorrow.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

This is all a bit of a pain in the ar*e isn't it gel?
shifty.gif

Oldboy said:

What I don't understand is, why did gel have to call so many times for the same problem? Hoping for a replacement instead of a repair?

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Oldboy said:

What I don't understand is, why did gel have to call so many times for the same problem? Hoping for a replacement instead of a repair?

I have had people say they will call me back about a replacement too but never have! John Lewis seem to be like this you just have to keep negotiating. It was a bit like this when trying to get replacements last time! Hopefully Instore they will sort it there and then.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I have had people say they will call me back about a replacement too but never have! John Lewis seem to be like this you just have to keep negotiating. It was a bit like this when trying to get replacements last time! Hopefully Instore they will sort it there and then.

That would imply there customer service isn't that good?

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
gel said:

It doesn't sound to good does it. I had a problem with my Toshiba laptop I bought from them and after several repair attempts they finally gave me store credit for the amount I paid for it and that was a performance too!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
rocketrazor said:
gel said:

It doesn't sound to good does it. I had a problem with my Toshiba laptop I bought from them and after several repair attempts they finally gave me store credit for the amount I paid for it and that was a performance too!

It all sounds like more ammunition for negotiation to me gel...phone calls you never receive, you having to chase them up all the time and the time and trouble they have caused by not keeping to their word.

Conversely when my 55F8000 had to go back the guy on the phone sorted it out there and then on the phone with no waiting for a call back, not the same situation I know but may point to differing levels of customer service depending on who you speak to?? They have a good reputation which they are keen to shout about so it must be worth telling them of the epic fail in service you have received from them over this both in store tomorrow and in any further communication.

I think you will get a far better result in store speaking face to face so I'm really hoping you get some good news at last.

D

Deleted member 2457

Went in the shop spoke to the manager who recognise me from my previous purchases, and sorted the situation out! A VT65 being delivered Wednesday! :dance:

:dance:

:cheer:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Went in the shop spoke to the manager who recognise me from my previous purchases, and sorted the situation out! A VT65 being delivered Wednesday! :dance: :dance: :cheer:

Told you face to face was a better idea eh mate :rockout:

Totally chuffed you got the result you wanted, you must be a very happy man today :bounce:

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the VT65 when you get it, is it the same screen size and did you have to pay anything towards it?

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
Went in the shop spoke to the manager who recognise me from my previous purchases, and sorted the situation out! A VT65 being delivered Wednesday! :dance: :dance: :cheer:

Told you face to face was a better idea eh mate :rockout:

Totally chuffed you got the result you wanted, you must be a very happy man today :bounce:

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the VT65 when you get it, is it the same screen size and did you have to pay anything towards it?

Cheers buddy.
smiley-smile.gif
Yep, face to face much better than a call centre. Panasonic 50VT65 being delivered. If it goes wrong though I have to have a repair this time.
smiley-smile.gif
Paid £600 more, hoping to price match in about a week I will get it first, then take the bill down to about £200! :cheer:

Signature updated, pictures and YouTube video to follow.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
That's an excellent result gel. The extra cash is well spent just for the upgrade rather than getting the GT50 repaired and hopefully this one serves you better fingers crossed.

Knowing you I wouldn't be surprised to hear next week that you get the price match well under the £200 figure you have quoted...as our resident bargain hunter I wouldn't be surprised if you get vthe whole £600 back mate ;)

I'm just happy you got a great result in the end and look forward to some pics and a YouTube vid :dance:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
That's a result, Gel. Congrats! :grin:

I'm sure you'll post with your thoughts once you have the TV.

3D is much better on the VT65, though you'll need to make sure your TPS glasses are properly set up. Assuming you have the latest TPS glasses, you'll need to double click the function button to optimise them for use with this year's Panasonic plasmas. The light should then flash five times (if I remember rightly).

That's not the main reason you bought the TV, but it's worth trying a few 3D BDs. I found 3D more comfortable and more effective on the VT65.

I'll be interested to hear about fan noise, too. More recently manufactured VT65s come with the fan fix already applied. I'd be grateful if you could post with your thoughts on how loud the fans are.

Roll on Wednesday...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts