marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
what's the problem it's not your money it's mine .

There is no problem, but if you didn't want good advice on how not to waste it then why the hell ask? You don't want advice, you just want to see someone advocate the decision you'd subconsciously / consciously already made, hence why you ignored every post that warned you you're probably about to f'k up but you answered the ones which said yeah go for it. Still, like you say it's your call and your absolute right to risk wasting your own money. No hard feelings.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
...is where it's at if you want bass and scale. That said you sort of have to like classical or at least orchestral.

Yes, heard some of those, and have three
thumbs_up.gif

D

Deleted member 108165

ID. said:
Yep, if one is set on a plan anyway best to just make the thread like a blog to share one's experiences rather than seeking advice.

Good idea. I for one am very interested in Sabbath's journey and hope that he continues to post his trials and tribulations. It takes a lot of guts to post on a open forum as you're easy meat for allcomers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
MajorFubar said:
...is where it's at if you want bass and scale. That said you sort of have to like classical or at least orchestral.

Got 4...Star Tracks 1, Star Tracks 2, Time Warp and Fantastic Journey, the latter I had to import from the States! I haven't hunted for others. I haven't ever owned a pair of speakers which can satisfactorily reach the notes of the double bass at the start of Also Sprach Zarathustra (Time Warp, tracks 1 + 10). And the DR on all four albums is stunning.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Damn it! I was listening to piano chick music...

Sully has some punchy bass and JDevil has the deep end, though I don't like nu metal.

Try dead bodies everywhere for low bass from the same lp

Yeah. Got some boom boom in that one. 

If you at the front you can hardly hear the vocals let alone the key.

Downloads this year friday.
Korn followed by rammstein. Was going to be moterhead before that.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Freddy58 said:
MajorFubar said:

Got 4...Star Tracks 1, Star Tracks 2, Time Warp and Fantastic Journey, the latter I had to import from the States! I haven't hunted for others. I haven't ever owned a pair of speakers which can satisfactorily reach the notes of the double bass at the start of Also Sprach Zarathustra (Time Warp, tracks 1 + 10). And the DR on all four albums is stunning.

I've got the first three you mention
thumbs_up.gif
I've heard others, including 'Roundup', music from western movies, you can almost smell the horse poo! My Kefs do a pretty good job of reaching down to those low rumbles, but would love to hear on something with large cones *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i have been thinking about this power amp and i will be asking for my money back today as this power amp looks and feels like av quality which i am not happy with plus the fact that for £800 its not worth it but i do want to try bi amping still . so i might look at the abrahamsen 2up + power amp and bi amp that way

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
i have been thinking about this power amp and i will be asking for my money back today as this power amp looks and feels like av quality which i am not happy with plus the fact that for £800 its not worth it but i do want to try bi amping still . so i might look at the abrahamsen 2up + power amp and bi amp that way

Demoing isn't always convenient especially with brands that aren't available nationwide, but consider having a listen first. Much better to spend a day and £50 petrol money on visiting a supplier than to spend a couple of grand on an experiment that migjt not work.
IQ Speakers (colin) on this forum is a supplier of Abrahamsen, and i'm sure if you spoke to him you could arrange something. Think he's based in Cheltenham.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Demoing isn't always convenient especially with brands that aren't available nationwide, but consider having a listen first. Much better to spend a day and £50 petrol money on visiting a supplier than to spend a couple of grand on an experiment that migjt not work. IQ Speakers (colin) on this forum is a supplier of Abrahamsen, and i'm sure if you spoke to him you could arrange something. Think he's based in Cheltenham.
yes i will do i just start off with the amp first

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
right just got to wait for a refund on the power amp i had a chat with colin about the abrahamsen 2 up amp and he said the abrahamsen amp will knock spots off the marantz pm8005 amp so will be ordering one as soon as i get my refund sorted out

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Well I'm looking forward to you demoing the 8005 amp against the Abrahamssen. I really rate the Marantz - value for money in spades. Be great if Colin could set it up as a blind a/b demo. Otherwise I'd be a bit concerned about some expectation bias. At times you have seemed in such a rush to move on/upgrade your amp. No rush - I've made expensive mistakes in the past and those mistakes do make you more cautious about spending money on equipment.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be letting us know in due course how it all sounds.

tonky

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Glad you've seen some sense, this upgrade sounds far more in the right direction. I still think you've got a severe case of money-burning-a-hole-in-my-pocket desease because you can't possibly have learned how to fully appreciate the Marantz yet. You are your hifi retailer's wet dream lol. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Abrahamsen.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Good that you've decided to return the Marantz power amp for a refund. I'm sure that's the right decision.

Did you discuss with Colin the option of trying one of his nord Hypex power amps (using your Marantz as a pre)? The nord amps are relatively cheap for the power they supply, and they would be about as future-proof as anything in the hi-fi world is. They could get the best out of the very best speakers -- when eventually you get round to upgrading your speakers.

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 what do you want?

more bass, better control or both?

Blacksabbath25 i think black sabbath is not at all bass heavy so it's not hard to control the bass the there is when playing blacksabbath.

Better bass(more bass) get something like nad, they are more bass heavy it doesn't make black sabbath sound like techno but you get more bass with out using the eq/tonecontrols.

Better contol maby abramhansen vil get you more control or else you should try something bigger with more power above 100watt, 150 is great but around 200watt would be perfect (in 4 ohm it should be that hard).

I had a marantz PM6005, yes i had it for only 3 month, bought a cheap nad 312 had som weak high pitched sound,nose, but liked the power,good bass, generally how it sounds.

The marantz pm6005 are very clear,open sounding so much it give my bostons (not at all as bright as dali zensor 1-3, zensor3 has a bit better balance then zensor 1) a bright sound characteristic, sometime i needed more bass,the marantz have a thin and bright sound, so after getting the nad 312 with the high pitched noise i bought a new Nad C 316BEE i could get it cheaper used but wanted the 3 years warranty we have here in denmark on nad (only one place you can get nad in denmark is in the store that sell dali) i was getting a bit more power almost 3 db more peak power, a bit better sound and still more bass then the marantz, a warmer sound, not as bright and thin as the marantz pm6005.

Pros Shure i'm only getting 40/95 watt in 8 ohm but it's still loud, better sound, more bass and less bright (the clear and open sound give marantz pm6005 a bright touch) 3 years warranty instead of being able to get a mabye 7-10 year old more power full nad amp that is used alot with no warranty, shure a c352 might be 3 db more powerfull, i'm just not wanting to use 80 watt when my speakers are on my desk next to my pc and have 89db sensitivity.It's very well bulit almost like a small tank but it's big much bigger then it's size

Cons There No preout and no phono stage(i don't have a TT and don't wan't one) and songs with less bass will always sound thin but not as much as with marantz since the sound has change to a less bright and thin.

If you wan't something with more bass,better control,louder bass,more max spl don't get something slightly bigger from marantz get something completely different,but black sabbath will never sound bassy unless you buy a biiig subwoofer

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
matt49 said:
Good that you've decided to return the Marantz power amp for a refund. I'm sure that's the right decision.

Did you discuss with Colin the option of trying one of his nord Hypex power amps (using your Marantz as a pre)? The nord amps are relatively cheap for the power they supply, and they would be about as future-proof as anything in the hi-fi world is. They could get the best out of the very best speakers -- when eventually you get round to upgrading your speakers.
yes he did say about the nord hypex power amps i do like my speakers that is something i do not change they great speakers and this is why want a new amp to get the best out of them but understand about the hypex as they cheaper to buy but to be honest i did not talk much about them more about the 2up amp as this has a big power supply in that too but for more money . i like the bulid quality of the marantz 8005 and it is a good sounding amp but if i wented to buy the next amp up your talking £1700 and its not really an up grade for that kind of money so my options are keep the 8005 and buy the hypex and still do the bi amping that i wanted to do or buy the 2up and later on buy the power amp that matches which is the same kind of money as the ref marantz £1700

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
matt49 said:

yes he did say about the nord hypex power amps i do like my speakers that is something i do not change they great speakers and this is why want a new amp to get the best out of them but understand about the hypex as they cheaper to buy but to be honest i did not talk much about them more about the 2up amp as this has a big power supply in that too but for more money . i like the bulid quality of the marantz 8005 and it is a good sounding amp but if i wented to buy the next amp up your talking £1700 and its not really an up grade for that kind of money so my options are keep the 8005 and buy the hypex and still do the bi amping that i wanted to do or buy the 2up and later on buy the power amp that matches which is the same kind of money as the ref marantz £1700

It's not a good deal to keep the marantz amp and use it as a pre amp, mabye trade it in for something much more power full

Have you tried bi wiring with the marantzPM8005 to see,hear if theres any difference to single wiring?

I do how ever fell studio monitors that often are bi amped do sound different because they are bi amped mabye more power or better bass

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Have you tried bi wiring with the marantzPM8005 to see,hear if theres any difference to single wiring?

I heard prayer works too. ;)

gasolin said:
I do how ever fell studio monitors that often are bi amped do sound different because they are bi amped mabye more power or better bass

Just to add that studio monitors are biamped but also have an active electronic crossover. That kinda makes it hard to compare them to a passive bi-amping setup.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I am quite glad its a broken 1. Get your refund and run as fast as u can.

here's my advise:

a) take a break from this forum for a while.

b ) buy some cds that u always wanted to buy but never got round to buying them.

c ) enjoy your system and music. More focus on music less on sound.

d ) by august/ september start researching on a dedicated pre and power amp combination.

i will put the kettle on now.

gasolin

Animesh Ghose said:
I am quite glad its a broken 1. Get your refund and run as fast as u can.

here's my advise:

a) take a break from this forum for a while.

b ) buy some cds that u always wanted to buy but never got round to buying them.

c ) enjoy your system and music. More focus on music less on sound.

d ) by august/ september start researching on a dedicated pre and power amp combination.

i will put the kettle on now.

Run Blacksabbath25 RUN *ROFL*

gasolin

Vladimir said:
gasolin said:

I heard prayer works too. ;)

Just though if he while he is waiting for an amp so he can try bi amping, if he had tried to bi wire with the pm8005 amp and if so if he could hear a difference

waiting 1-2 day can go much faster i you have something to do ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
matt49 said:

It's not a good deal to keep the marantz amp and use it as a pre amp, mabye trade it in for something much more power full

i am single wiring as theres little in it in doing bi- wiring not worth the effort

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the other poster, i would get your money back and just take a breather for a few weeks. Is there anything in particular about the your system that you dislike that could be attributed to the amp? For me, my sound is now exactly what im after, i am stoked to bits with the PM8005.....that said my speakers are 91 db/w/m sensitive so very easy to drive. Just have a sit back and if theres nothing wrong with the sound, if it aint broke.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts