marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
hi i wanted to add a power amp to my marantz pm8005 but marantz only make the marantz mm7025 2 channal power amp which is more for AV use . i want to add a power amp for bi amping but stuck what to use with the pm8005 to do this . i do not want to buy mono blocks i just wanted to go the power amp road to do bi amping which power amps could i use to do this please .
ok I have answered my own question here .. I just brought the marantz mm7025 2 channel power amp I did not realise that it was part of marantz ref range I phone up a Hifi dealer and he said that the power amp is better then the pm8005 and would be good to use it for bi amping as I would get better detail out of my speakers and better tighter bass from the low end of my speakers so he said use the bass side of the speakers on the power amp and then use the pm8005 for the treble side of things and I should hear a big improvement as the 8005 has not got to do so much work . So it's been ordered from marantz and I got a free set of atlas Rca leads worth £125 free part of the deal I got the power amp for a good price too £699 normal £799 so will get it sometime next week

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I phone up a Hifi dealer and he said that the power amp is better then the pm8005 and would be good to use it for bi amping as I would get better detail out of my speakers and better tighter bass from the low end of my speakers so he said use the bass side of the speakers on the power amp and then use the pm8005 for the treble side of things and I should hear a big improvement as the 8005 has not got to do so much work .

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
You've only recently purchased your PM8005 and have previously stated that you are very happy with it. Yet only a couple of days ago you wanted to replace it with an Abrahamsen, and now you want to add a ower amp.

What are you looking to achieve as a result which your current set up isn't giving you ?
i do like my marantz pm8005 and yes i was looking at the abrahamsen amp but its to much of a risk for me to take

i want to bi amp my speakers this is why i wanted the power amp as i want to push more out of my speakers then the pm8005 can do on its own so bi amping is something i want to try i should get deeper bass more tighter bass more control over the bass which the abrahamsen amp is meant to do anyway as its useing that big power supply well the marantz should do the same job now . we will see . sorry dad i try not to spend anymore money next time i will ask you first !

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
You've only recently purchased your PM8005 and have previously stated that you are very happy with it. Yet only a couple of days ago you wanted to replace it with an Abrahamsen, and now you want to add a power amp.

What are you looking to achieve as a result which your current set up isn't giving you ?

Biamping in my experience is a right waist of your money,better with a integrated from a level or two above what you have.Prepare to be disappointed black sabbath as I was when I added a arcam p85 to my a85,unless you got the amp for a song it ain't even worth the extra cash for the extra runs of speaker cable.imho.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Biamping in my experience is a right waist of your money,better with a integrated from a level or two above what you have.Prepare to be disappointed black sabbath as I was when I added a arcam p85 to my a85,unless you got the amp for a song it ain't even worth the extra cash for the extra runs of speaker cable.imho.
yes i did get a good deal on it if it does not work out i can send it back i have 28 days to try it

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
Spend what you want. I didn't mean to sound condescending. Just not convinced you'll hear a vast improvement.
well have to try this things or i will never no i will have 28 days to try it if no inprovement i will send it back its not an issue but this power amp is useing the same amping power as the big brother marantz amp in the reference range which costs £1700 to buy as this power amp is part of the reference range

Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
yes i did get a good deal on it if it does not work out i can send it back i have 28 days to try it

Whilst I hope the OP finds what he's looking for in my opinion the only way to biamp economically is to get a preamp and two mono power amps. Using an integrated and another power amp just doesn't seem to give the same response.

Either that, if you feel the 8005 isn't controlling you speakers well enough, then you should have auditioned first or you could simply buy a more powerful integrated to save on outlay.

Sorry: hit the quote button there instead of reply.

D

Deleted member 108165

Sabbath, a couple of years ago I considered adding an MM7025 to my system but after copious reading on the net I shelved the idea and just kept it simple. Therefore, I would be very interested in your findings. Your main problem is going to be expectation bias which is difficult to get away from if you are a gushy kind of guy who has spent a lot of money on something and needs to justify the cost.

My personal take on this would be be prepared to be underwhelmed.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
i would expect any improvements in sound quality to be subtle, and as stated there will undoubtedly be expectation bias.....i would almost go into it with a sceptical attitude, bearing in mind you have a 14 day grace period. Dont be afraid of saying, this isnt working as i wanted it to and sending it back. That said if it works let us know, even if its just more volume (not sure bi-amping works that way or not, from what i understand it should).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
... i was looking at the abrahamsen amp but its to much of a risk for me to take

What risk is that?

We have the sole UK distributor for Abrahamsen as an active member on this site. You'll probably get one-to-one service from him.

I can only imagine what he'd do for £1700 (or whatever you just spent) :)

V4.0 UP power amp for £799 and V3.0 UP pre for £699 maybe (or V2.0 UP integrated + V4.0 UP power for two quid short of your £1700).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
What risk is that?

We have the sole UK distributor for Abrahamsen as an active member on this site. You'll probably get one-to-one service from him.

Agreed, and talking of which, if the OP wants a real boost in power and speaker control, then one of the Nord NC500 power amps would surely give a far better result than bi-amping with the Marantz. OK, the price is higher, but within reach if the OP is prepared to save up for a few months, I'd have thought.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
i would expect any improvements in sound quality to be subtle, and as stated there will undoubtedly be expectation bias.....i would almost go into it with a sceptical attitude, bearing in mind you have a 14 day grace period. Dont be afraid of saying, this isnt working as i wanted it to and sending it back. That said if it works let us know, even if its just more volume (not sure bi-amping works that way or not, from what i understand it should).
well i was right about running in the marantz pm8005 even when everyone said rubbish you do not need to run it in . ok everyone has said its not going to work but i still going to try .

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Even as a Marantz fan I'd take one of the Abrahamsen's over any of the current Marantz equivalents any day. I work in Sweden and they are extremely good products.

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
well i was right about running in the marantz pm8005 even when everyone said rubbish you do not need to run it in . ok everyone has said its not going to work but i still going to try .

Personally, I don't think it's so much to do with run-in or burn-in on amps, it's much more to do with our heads becoming accustomed to the sound. Speakers are a different propsition and is the only area I would agree with burn-in, (plus tt carts too).

But good luck and please report back with your findings *good*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Whilst I hope the OP finds what he's looking for in my opinion the only way to biamp economically is to get a preamp and two mono power amps. Using an integrated and another power amp just doesn't seem to give the same response.?

Either that, if you feel the 8005 isn't controlling you speakers well enough, then you should have auditioned first or you could simply buy a more powerful integrated to save on outlay.

Yes plus 100%

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
to be honest i do not understand why it should not work as i will be useing the ref range power amp which is meant to be better then the marantz pm8005 i would be useing the power amp to run the bass side of the speaker and useing the 8005 to run the treble and if you look at the spec of my speakers i should be able to push some more out of them and i am hopful to see what bi amping will do to the sound i have looked round the net and i can not find anyone who has bi amped the pm8005 with a power amp yet so this is a road no ones done yet the saleman said as you have a good set of speakers i should benfit from using a power amp .

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there's any doubt it will work but I guess there's a risk that the sound will not be much better than you've got now given that you will still be using the PM8005 preamp (and the PM8005 power amp for the treble). Also, you may find the two different power outputs between the highs and lows make for a brilliant sound or not.

I guess the safer alternative would have been to trade in the PM8005 and add the new money to a PM14 or PM11 where the whole sound path would have been upgraded and everything balanced and designed to work together.

Hopefully it will be brilliant, though.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
splasher said:
I don't think there's any doubt it will work but I guess there's a risk that the sound will not be much better than you've got now given that you will still be using the PM8005 preamp (and the PM8005 power amp for the treble). Also, you may find the two different power outputs between the highs and lows make for a brilliant sound or not.

I guess the safer alternative would have been to trade in the PM8005 and add the new money to a PM14 or PM11 where the whole sound path would have been upgraded and everything balanced and designed to work together.

Hopefully it will be brilliant, though.
the power amp i will be useing is the mm7025 which is meant to go with the pm11 s3 marantz amp as its part of the ref range so it will be mm7025 for the bass side of the speaker for preamp and the pm8005 for the treble side but i do not no this but i would of thought it would be blanced ?

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
the power amp i will be useing is the mm7025 which is meant to go with the pm11 s3 marantz amp as its part of the ref range so it will be mm7025 for the bass side of the speaker for preamp and the pm8005 for the treble side but i do not no this but i would of thought it would be blanced ?

Sure, and hopefully it will be amazing. The point I was trying to make is that in your chosen arrangement you've got a mid range preamp, one mid range power amp and one reference power amp, whereas buying a PM11, for example, would have given you a full reference quality amp. Who knows which is better but with the PM11 a team of Marantz engineers have designed it all to integrate so you would expect that to be the lower risk option.

As I say, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I hope it's excellent, just trying to explain why in my opinion others may not think it was the obvious upgrade.

D

Deleted member 108165

Sabbath, I'm not trying to pour cold water on this as I'm very interested in what you are planning to do, but is this actually going to work? Looking through the users manual it would appear that the speaker outputs on the 8005 will be by-passed when you press the power amp button on the fascia of the 8005 amp, therefore, rendering it out of the equation for any amping duties of the tweeters.

Maybe I'm reading the manual wrong, I dunno *pardon*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't throw money at fixing non-existent problems by buying this ' n' that which may or may or not improve anything, and save it for real upgrades that have unquestionably proved themselves worthy of your cash. If there's not currently a weakness you're wanting to fix, then instead of looking for change in the hope something might be improved, adopt the approach that change needs to come looking for you and prove itself worthy of your attention and your cash.

I've been through your stage when I was young, single and had more money. Maybe it's a rite of passage that you'll just have to go through yourself, but it's a mug's game really. Can't tell you how many sideways moves I must've made.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Sabbath, I'm not trying to pour cold water on this as I'm very interested in what you are planning to do, but is this actually going to work? Looking through the users manual it would appear that the speaker outputs on the 8005 will be by-passed when you press the power amp button on the fascia of the 8005 amp, therefore, rendering it out of the equation for any amping duties of the tweeters.

Maybe I'm reading the manual wrong, I dunno *pardon*
I did phone a Hifi shop today about this not the shop I got the power amp from a different shop and I asked them would this work they thought it would do I told them that I would be running the bass part of the speaker running though the power amp and the treble though the 8005 they said this was the best way of doing it . I said do you think I am wasting money they thought not as they think I should hear a difference and they could not see why not . I have never done this before I am taking a risk and I do understand that a better amp would of done the same job . What am I expecting even better control of the bass maybe deeper bass I do not no this not sure what this will do to the treble on this speakers . I was told by the shop today that both units should be well integrated with each other tomorrow the shop I got the power amp from will be letting me know the power amp in stock ready to post to me then I will ask more questions before they send it .. Can someone explain what's happening between marantz 8005 - power amp please my understanding is that the 8005 will be doing half the work load as its only got the treble to think about then the power amp is doing all the grunt with the bass channel is this right ? So power amp 50% 8005 50% share of the work load . Please do not pick me to bits help me understand the process of what I am trying to do your advice would be appreciated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts