marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
your advice would be appreciated

Apparently mine isn't. Shop told you it will sound much better? Who'd have guessed...
so help me understand why you think this would not work then please I phoned a different shop one that was not trying to sell me something just free advice

It depends what you mean by "work".

What I and others have been arguing is that there are other ways of improving your amplification that would give you a better result for the same or not much more money.

Can I ask you a direct question: how much is the new power amp going to cost you?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
matt49 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Apparently mine isn't. Shop told you it will sound much better? Who'd have guessed...
so help me understand why you think this would not work then please I phoned a different shop one that was not trying to sell me something just free advice

What I and others have been arguing is that there are other ways of improving your amplification that would give you a better result for the same or not much more money.

Can I ask you a direct question: how much is the new power amp going to cost you?
I have paid for it I just waiting for them to phone me to say it's in but it cost me £800 to buy this power amp

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
matt49 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I have paid for it I just waiting for them to phone me to say it's in but it cost me £800 to buy this power amp

OK, for £899 you could have bought a nord One NC500 ST power amp, which would give you 500W into 8 ohms. You want bass control? That's the way to get it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
matt49 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
matt49 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

OK, for £899 you could have bought a nord One NC500 ST power amp, which would give you 500W into 8 ohms. You want bass control? That's the way to get it.
the thing is I am not sure how to turn things around if this is all a big mistake as I have paid for the marantz mm7025 and the shop has ordered it from marantz they are not going to like me if I change my mind because now I am unsure of my choice here to bi amp .

D

Deleted member 108165

Stick with your decision Sabbath. You say there's a 14 day return policy so use it if necessary.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry, I think the bi-amping is the bit that may be fraught, particularly if it's unclear whether the PM8005 can run the internal and external power amps at the same time (I've no idea). By all means try the biamping idea and as I said you may strike gold.

if not, the worst thing that can happen is that you use the 8005 as a preamp, the 7025 as a power amp and single wire your speakers. You've still gone up dramatically in power to 140w per channel into 8 ohms so you should see some change for the better.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ozzy, I don't see why such a panic reaction. You will get a nice matching Marantz power amp for a reasonable price, you will biamp your Dalis and enjoy the upgrade.

Yes, the best biamping is with an active crossover, and yes, why waste money on two boxes and not just get one big integrated in the first place. But it's done now. You have the 8005 and want just a bit more out of your speakers. Using just the MM7025 to power them is an upgrade by itself. And that 8005 has a damn good preamp. It's price is worth just as a preamp alone. You are upgrading your setup even if you don't biamp. If you hear improvement with bi-amping, that's great. If you don't, no tragedy really, since you already got a worthy upgrade.

Now, to learn from this experience, first use the MM7025 as a full range power amp + the PM8005 solely as preamp for few days, maybe a week. Then switch to biamping for another week. Then switch back to the first arrangement. 28 days = 4 weeks, you have lots of time to experiment.

And please no "burning in" talk, or I swear I'll spam your thread with kittens and beard oil ads.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Ozzy, I don't see why such a panic reaction. You will get a nice matching Marantz power amp for reasonable price, you will biamp your Dalis and enjoy the upgrade.

Yes, the best biamping is with an active crossover, and yes, why waste money on two boxes and not just get one big integrated in the first place. But it's done now. You have the 8005 and want just a bit more out of your speakers. Using just the MM7025 to power them is an upgrade by itself. And that 8005 has a damn good preamp. It's price is worth just as a preamp alone. You are upgrading your setup even if you don't biamp. If you hear improvement with bi-amping, that's great. If you don't, no tragedy really, since you already got a worthy upgrade.

Now, to learn from this experience, first use the MM7025 as a full range power amp + the PM8005 solely as preamp for few days, maybe a week. Then switch to biamping for another week. Then switch back to the first arrangement. 28 days = 4 weeks, you have lots of time to experiment.

And please no "burning in" talk, or I swear I'll spam your thread with kittens and beard oil ads.
ok thanks for the help that what I thought I was just a bit unsure and yes it's done now but this is something I have wanted to try for a long time whether this works or not but its good to know I will get a little bit of an improvement and an upgrade

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
in fairness, my understanding of bi-amping is care needs to be taken in matching the two amps, and comments have been made in this forum previously that the easiest way to do this is to system match (i.e. use the same manufacturer throughout). So, while its probably a valid point there are more powerful power amps, im not sure whether they will work as well (who knows though, without trying its difficult to say)......So i would have said the OP has probably taken the safest option regarding bi-amping.

Personally, for me, i think i will avoid bi-amping as it sounds like it "can" cause more problems than it solves, so if i ever upgrade (unlikely in the near term) i would probably opt for an integrated + 100W. Mind you, never say never......also, he has a 14 day grace period so its a no lose situation, surely?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Something to read. Skip the bi-wiring part.
Yes seen this video before and some of the other videos too . Going by what they are saying I would be passive bi amping but they are saying for best results is to take out the cross overs out of the speakers to get better affect from bi amping which I do not want to mess my speakers up doing that way and the other way is to use mono blocks or a better more powerful amp . Bi wiring I do not do because there's little if any affect by bi wiring even though I can do this with my speakers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
in fairness, my understanding of bi-amping is care needs to be taken in matching the two amps, and comments have been made in this forum previously that the easiest way to do this is to system match (i.e. use the same manufacturer throughout). So, while its probably a valid point there are more powerful power amps, im not sure whether they will work as well (who knows though, without trying its difficult to say)......So i would have said the OP has probably taken the safest option regarding bi-amping.

Which is why it's good to have volume controls on a power amp, or gain setting on the back to match the pre amp.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right I just had a long chat with the shop I got the power amp from they are happy to take the power amp back if I did not hear any difference in sound or was unhappy with the power amp in anyway they said we like our customers to be happy with there choice and it's not an issue sending it back . They said I should hear an improvement by bi amping and like Vladimir said change things around experiment for the best bi amp setup or just run it as a added power this would give me an improvement too if I used it that way . I said about maybe I should of gone for a much more powerful amp like the next model up from the pm8005 which would the be the reference amp £1700 they said yes this would be better too but so is bi amping . So if the bi amping does not work for me which it will but if not I will send it back if not and maybe get the marantz reference amp

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Right I just had a long chat with the shop I got the power amp from they are happy to take the power amp back if I did not hear any difference in sound or was unhappy with the power amp in anyway they said we like our customers to be happy with there choice and it's not an issue sending it back . They said I should hear an improvement by bi amping and like Vladimir said change things around experiment for the best bi amp setup or just run it as a added power this would give me an improvement too if I used it that way . I said about maybe I should of gone for a much more powerful amp like the next model up from the pm8005 which would the be the reference amp £1700 they said yes this would be better too but so is bi amping . So if the bi amping does not work for me which it will but if not I will send it back if not and maybe get the marantz reference amp . There is a switch at the back of the power amp for balanced input useing X l r inputs or unbalanced input which for me would have to be unbalanced input as I have no x l r on the other units

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
I see one PM-14S1 that has 90Wpc in 8ohms and costs $3,000.
the one i was looking at was the marantz PM-14S1 SE in the uk its £1700 and then you have the £3000 amp which out my reach so is the PM-14S1 any good ? as an upgrade

Going from 70W to 90W is not much of an upgrade.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
i would see what the power amp set up is like before you start planning another purchae mate! Give it a week or so with the power unit, also let us know your thoughts. Like i said previously, be honest with yourself when you listen to it, you can always send it back gratis if its not your cup of tea.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
the one i was looking at was the marantz PM-14S1 SE in the uk its £1700 and then you have the £3000 amp which out my reach so is the PM-14S1 any good ? as an upgrade as this is why i have gone the bi amping route as in a round about way i would be getting more power from the power amp which the PM-14S1 has only got the 90watts per channal were with the power amp i am getting 140watts per channal

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
i would see what the power amp set up is like before you start planning another purchae mate! Give it a week or so with the power unit, also let us know your thoughts. Like i said previously, be honest with yourself when you listen to it, you can always send it back gratis if its not your cup of tea.
yes i will trying the power amp setup as bi amping is something i wanted to try and if it does not workout i have not lost nothing

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
yes i will trying the power amp setup as bi amping is something i wanted to try and if it does not workout i have not lost nothing but its not all about watts

gasolin

Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
the one i was looking at was the marantz PM-14S1 SE in the uk its £1700 and then you have the £3000 amp which out my reach so is the PM-14S1 any good ? as an upgrade

You forget it's 100 and 140watt since the Dali opticon 6 is 4 ohm speakers, but still no more then 2 db difference in spl,mabye in control and how deep the bass is from the marantz PM-14S1 SE (like nad have more bass then marantz) a bigger marantz could give more bass and control that black sabbath needs (the pop group with ozzy osbourne *blum3* )

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
philpot1001 said:
yes i will trying the power amp setup as bi amping is something i wanted to try and if it does not workout i have not lost nothing but its not all about watts

It's all about the bass

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

You forget it's 100 and 140watt since the Dali opticon 6 is 4 ohm speakers, but still no more then 2 db difference in spl,mabye in control and how deep the bass is from the marantz PM-14S1 SE (like nad have more bass then marantz) a bigger marantz could give more bass and control that black sabbath needs (the pop group with ozzy osbourne *blum3* )

Give me one Black Sabbath track with deep bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts