marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
nice lady ! right ok last try to beat you on the bass ..... hardcore ..... headhunterz track.... the sacrifice .

It has to be a that smooth jazz? Because I know this and this were not inspired by Kenny G.
what can i say they got long hair ! try rob zombie track thunder kiss ' 65

This! I like it because it flavors like stoner metal.

Iron Maiden - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and all that metal egyptology and UFOlogy extracted from bathroom literature like Erich Von Daniken is booooorrrrrriiiiiiiingggggg.
i have most of the candlemass albums that's doom metal a bit like sabbath - iron maiden and grand magus

Yeah. Stoner metal is a mix of doom metal, prog rock, heavy metal, blues and acid rock. I like a mess.

What was this thread about? *crazy*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
nice lady ! right ok last try to beat you on the bass ..... hardcore ..... headhunterz track.... the sacrifice .

It has to be a that smooth jazz? Because I know this and this were not inspired by Kenny G.
what can i say they got long hair ! try rob zombie track thunder kiss ' 65

This! I like it because it flavors like stoner metal.

Iron Maiden - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and all that metal egyptology and UFOlogy extracted from bathroom literature like Erich Von Daniken is booooorrrrrriiiiiiiingggggg.
i have most of the candlemass albums that's doom metal a bit like sabbath - iron maiden and grand magus

Yeah. Stoner metal is a mix of doom metal, prog rock, heavy metal, blues and acid rock. I like a mess.

What was this thread about? *crazy*
*scratch_one-s_head* power amps i think and i still waiting for the van to turn up

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:
Damn it! I was listening to piano chick music...

Sully has some punchy bass and JDevil has the deep end, though I don't like nu metal.

okay korn but try playing this loud https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTXuPydruvk

But tuareg rock is much cooler. The Sahara version of R.L. Burnside.

I presume the amp has arrived and Ozzy is trying it out now. :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

Sully has some punchy bass and JDevil has the deep end, though I don't like nu metal.

yes i got it but its faulty no sound out of the 2 channals i pre amped and bi amped nothing just a dud i phoned the shop i had to tell them how i set it up and no buzz noise from the phono's the vans picking it up tomorrow the shop going to test it with one of there amps to see if it will come a live like magic then they will order a new one from marantz so will be next week some time i am very disappionted this power amp is not made in japan its made in china thats a good start ! *sad*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

yes i got it but its faulty no sound out of the 2 channals i pre amped and bi amped nothing just a dud i phoned the shop i had to tell them how i set it up and no buzz noise from the phono's the vans picking it up tomorrow the shop going to test it with one of there amps to see if it will come a live like magic then they will order a new one from marantz so will be next week some time i am very disappionted this power amp is not made in japan its made in china thats a good start ! *sad*

Hmmm. Weird.

Which pins did you use to get signal from the PM8005? Pre-Out or Power Amp Direct?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

Hmmm. Weird.

Which pins did you use to get signal from the PM8005? Pre-Out or Power Amp Direct?
atles phono I got them part of the deal they would of cost me £125 but I tried a different set that I had but still the same I looked to see if the fan was on as this is meant to go round slowly when the amps on but that was not moving . I did not use the power amp direct as this turn the 8005 into a power amp I use the pre-out section and then you have this little tiny slide switches on the back for balanced & unbalanced I have to go unbalanced as I am useing phono's I then hooked up the speaker cables for the bass channels to the power amp & then the cables for the treble going to the 8005 I checked all the speaker cables for positive & negative that was all ok . Just have this feeling that I missed something but checked & checked but this is not like marantz to send out stuff that does not work but it happens I know

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

Hmmm. Weird.

atles phono I got them part of the deal they would of cost me £125 but I tried a different set that I had but still the same I looked to see if the fan was on as this is meant to go round slowly when the amps on but that was not moving . I did not use the power amp direct as this turn the 8005 into a power amp I use the pre-out section and then you have this little tiny slide switches on the back for balanced & unbalanced I have to go unbalanced as I am useing phono's I then hooked up the speaker cables for the bass channels to the power amp & then the cables for the treble going to the 8005 I checked all the speaker cables for positive & negative that was all ok . Just have this feeling that I missed something but checked & checked but this is not like marantz to send out stuff that does not work but it happens I know

Marantz doesn't send broken gear. But it may get damaged during shipping.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

Hmmm. Weird.

that's what I thought ! Normally built like battle ships ... 1 thing I noticed was the build quality was not so good as the 8005 the power amp has cheap speaker connections on the back its heavy one side and light the other end feels like when you pick up a microwave lol . I am not sure whether to wait for a replacement or ask for a different power amp

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

Hmmm. Weird.

that's what I thought ! Normally built like battle ships ... 1 thing I noticed was the build quality was not so good as the 8005 the power amp has cheap speaker connections on the back its heavy one side and light the other end feels like when you pick up a microwave lol . I am not sure whether to wait for a replacement or ask for a different power amp

I noticed too on the photos that is not as well made as the 8005, and it has no 4 ohms rating, which makes the reason why you are buying it pointless.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If I change the power amp to a different manufacturer for a better quality power amp what would you get that will work well with the 8005 .? And I take it because it would not be the same manufacturers would this change the the 8005 sound .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
If I change the power amp to a different manufacturer for a better quality power amp what would you get that will work well with the 8005 .? And I take it because it would not be the same manufacturers would this change the the 8005 sound .

Where are you located?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well you know what I'd tell you to do. Treat this as the second chance you didn't expect to get, ask for your money back, and stop spending money just cos it's burning a hole in your pocket. It's not five minutes since you bought the 8005 and you can't even nearly have got used to its sound and what it brings to the table over a true extended period of listening.

You don't appear to be upgrading to fix a long-standing niggling issue, other than saying you want better control in the bass. And it's not even as though you're buying something you've heard and you know will work, you're just bolting on bits based on the assurances of a retailer who stands to profit from your purchase.

I'm not trying to be nasty about it; why would I, I have nothing to gain either way. But sometimes it's like you really have to beat someone around the head with a huge placard that has "Stop being a f'kwit" on it in big letters before they'll think twice about making a boo boo.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
F-ck it, it's your money, just sad that I'll never get back the battery power I've wasted in my wireless keyboard dispensing some of this thread's most sensible advice.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Where are you located?
uk Cambridgeshire

Great, you have tons to chose from. It's one of the top tier markets for audio in the world. Best to have members in the UK suggest further, as I'm not in the UK.

As for changing the sound, it shouldn't be a problem if the power amp has some gain controls so you can match it to the PM8005.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
F-ck it, it's your money, just sad that I'll never get back the battery power I've wasted in my wireless keyboard dispensing some of this thread's most sensible advice.

Major, we will live through this thread, somehow.

aspirin.png

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Well you know what I'd tell you to do. Treat this as the second chance you didn't expect to get, ask for your money back, and stop spending money just cos it's burning a hole in your pocket. It's not five minutes since you bought the 8005 and you can't even nearly have got used to its sound and what it brings to the table over a true extended period of listening.

You don't appear to be upgrading to fix a long-standing niggling issue, other than saying you want better control in the bass. And it's not even as though you're buying something you've heard and you know will work, you're just bolting on bits based on the assurances of a retailer who stands to profit from your purchase.

I'm not trying to be nasty about it; why would I, I have nothing to gain either way. But sometimes it's like you really have to beat someone around the head with a huge placard that has "Stop being a f'kwit" on it in big letters before they'll think twice about making a boo boo.

The Major has expressed himself rather, erm, trenchantly, but his advice is sound.

What you're doing is at best a minimal upgrade, and it's costing you a lot of money. Send the broken amp back and take time to make a decision based on logic and wider experience, not on hope.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
The Major has expressed himself rather, erm, trenchantly...

...but only because I expressed the same advice several pages ago (much more delecately) before BlackSabbath bought the power amp. He just seems hellbent on spending money, so f'k it really, I'm just wasting the AAs in my wireless keyboard.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
We've all been through it.

Self included, which is precisely the point. And while we're only talking here about an inconsequential subject like upgrading a hifi, the big picture is, human advancement has probably been held back centuries by each generation's insistance on re-making their prececessors' mistakes instead of learning from them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There were few "interventions" posted, good advice posted, Ozzy ignored it all. Now he is a bit dissapointed with the faulty amp that arrived, so lets just give the guy a break. It will all deflate tomorrow, hopefully.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
That's what makes us human we make mistakes and getting a power amp is my choice and I do not have to justify myself to anyone on here why and what choices I make I ask for advice and I am grateful for that advice buying Hifi is a learning experience where you do make pointless mistakes sometimes it's not that I am not listening to the advice . bi amping is something that I have always wanted to do if you get bi amping right then it is a good upgrade in my eyes and I know it does not work for some people but others it does what's the problem it's not your money it's mine . And if this bi amp does not work out then that's ok I have tried

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep, if one is set on a plan anyway best to just make the thread like a blog to share one's experiences rather than seeking advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts