Marantz PM5005 vs PM6005

oatler69

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I am a newbie in Hifi world, I just replaced my speaker from BX2 to Concept 20 because BX2 was too bright to my ear, my amplifier is Marrantz PM5005.

Do you guys think concept 20 with PM5005 (40W) are good combos? and if I switch to PM6005 will it be better in any way?

PM6005 has only 5W more than PM5005, how is the sound?

I use it with Turntable RP1 and I have Dragonfly DAC when I want to play music from computor

matthewpiano

The difference between those two Marantz amps is going to be fairly subtle given the cost of changing. My advice would be to wait for a more substantial upgrade and look at the Rega Brio-R or Exposure 1010, both of which leave the PM6005 in the dust and both of which will help to get the best out of those Concept 20s. You might also wish to try the Cambridge CX-A60, which adds additional flexibility with its range of inputs. If you want to stick with Marantz, the PM8005 can be had for around £650 currently (was nearly £1k) and is also a considerable upgrade from the company's more budget models.

rainsoothe

matthewpiano said:
The difference between those two Marantz amps is going to be fairly subtle given the cost of changing. My advice would be to wait for a more substantial upgrade and look at the Rega Brio-R or Exposure 1010, both of which leave the PM6005 in the dust and both of which will help to get the best out of those Concept 20s. You might also wish to try the Cambridge CX-A60, which adds additional flexibility with its range of inputs. If you want to stick with Marantz, the PM8005 can be had for around £650 currently (was nearly £1k) and is also a considerable upgrade from the company's more budget models.

+1. That particular upgrade would be minor. If you will never be able to afford what's on this list, you could wait to see what shows on the SH market - if you like the Marantz sound, you could never go wrong with PM8005 or even PM7005 for that matter. I don't agree that necessarily everything on that list would beat the PM6005 (Exposure 1010 is the same price) since the Marantz has its particular sound - it's just that the upgrade would be minor. But if you can find a 650 pound Marantz PM8005, then WOW! If not, the PM7005 is also fine and it has a dac with USB input, so if you have a digital source, that's a great deal. Rega Brio R is also a great suggestion.

oatler69

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

Now I am interested in Rega Brio-R because I use Rega turntable, how about Arcam FMJ A19? Will it be better than Brio-R?

matthewpiano

Both are excellent amplifiers, equal to each other. You need to audition both, preferably with your source and speakers, and decide which is better for you. Either would be a substantial step up from your PM5005 or a PM6005 both in all-round ability and in the quality of their phono stages.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Difference between the Marantz amps will be very minor. Rega Brio R and Arcam A19 should be quite a step up in sound quality. Had a brief demo with Brio and Arcam can't say I was that impressed but that could have been the speakers. Best amp. I heard around that price was Creek 50A. Although I would try a Croft if thats within your budget. If funds limited I would look for used amps. seen some bargains lately.

oatler69

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
Thank you so much for the reply.

I went to test the Brio-R and I like it so much, it sounds so musical to me.

A guy at the shop told me that it will be better If I change my RP1 Performance pack to RP3 instead of changing pm5005 to Brio-R. What do you guys think about this? I can't afford changing both at the same time.

matthewpiano

I'd stick to changing the amp and maybe consider a turntable upgrade later on. The RP3 is better than the RP1, but to get the best out of it you need the white belt upgrade and the TT PSU which, together, add another £220 to the price of the RP3.

Buy the Brio-R now, then think about an RP6 later on.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting this 3d on Marantz amps *drinks* , that turns as usually

in a talk about Rega, Naim, Arcam and so on *drinks*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts