Marantz MCR603 vs PM6003 (amp side)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm pretty satisfied with my MCR603, but sometimes I feel, that my Mission speaker would love to have more power - sound can feel uncontrolled at higher volumes.

So I'm looking at the PM6003 award winner, and the specification are nearly the same, but thd is better, and power usage is 50 watts vs 150 watts - so it must be alot more powerfull in the real world.

I would have to live without vtuner and airplay, but I've a Mac Mini located next to the hifi, so I think it can do the job just as good...

Would it be stupid to do the little upgrade, or should I look at something more powerfull?

Thank you

A

Anonymous

Hi Hans, I think it would be a mistake to change to the 6003. I think the 6003 will give you no further improvement in sound quality. The other day you stated how much you love your set up.
If anything in my opinion I would say that your speakers are not showing the true potential of the MCR603.

Many Regards

A

Anonymous

i think it would be a pointless switch, the 6003 probably won't give you the improvements you're looking for, and seeing as andrew has said the mcr603 is more than capable of driving some pretty demanding speakers, i don't think its your amplification that's the problem, i'd be looking at changing speakers..

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hans Mouridsen said:
So I'm looking at the PM6003 award winner, and the specification are nearly the same, but thd is better, and power usage is 50 watts vs 150 watts - so it must be alot more powerfull in the real world.

Unless im missing something here, your 150 watts figure is WAY out. Ive read its 45Watts per channel?

And I agree, you would probably be stepping down in quality

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I've just done a quick search back to March when you got the M-CR603 and it seems the others are right.

You asked about all sorts of speaker options from B&W to MA BX2s etc and then went out and got the Missions because 'they were cheap'.

Then you had problems positioning them (lack of bass) with regard to the floor-level, side facing drivers and your AV furniture.

Then you tried to solve it with a sub...

So I revise my opinion.

Maybe it really is the 'speakers that have never been right.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK said:
Hans Mouridsen said:

Unless im missing something here, your 150 watts figure is WAY out. Ive read its 45Watts per channel?

And I agree, you would probably be stepping down in quality

I'm talking about power usage, not power output!

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
those missions don't get very good reviews..

Well actually they are doing very well in a German review I have - compared together with Audio Physic Yara II Super and Epos M22i...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hans Mouridsen said:
I'm talking about power usage, not power output!

Ah

Well, with regards to usage. It all depends on the design of the amplifier. I have an Arcam P1000 that generally only draws about 60Watts and yet its capable of shaking the floor with its power (Its a class H amp), and thats driving 7 channels!

Ive no clue about either of those amps you mention, but id defintely listen to the majority of the people if I were you

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
I've just done a quick search back to March when you got the M-CR603 and it seems the others are right.

You asked about all sorts of speaker options from B&W to MA BX2s etc and then went out and got the Missions because 'they were cheap'.

Then you had problems positioning them (lack of bass) with regard to the floor-level, side facing drivers and your AV furniture.

Then you tried to solve it with a sub...

So I revise my opinion.

Maybe it really is the 'speakers that have never been right.

Maybe it's my room, with hard floors, walls, wooden loft and the furniture that is the real problem.

But as I wrote first, I'm pretty satisfied with my setup, so maybe I need to have patience and wait for the sub to be fixed...

Maybe I should borrow my colleges Primare amp, to se if what makes any difference - I could be fun...

A

Anonymous

Hans,

from what I can remember of your room layout and furnishings I would say it was more suited to a good quality pair of standmount speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Limey said:
Hans, from what I can remember of your room layout and furnishings I would say it was more suited to a good quality pair of standmount speakers.

1725a5fc.jpg

A

Anonymous

that room looks quite reflective (very nice too), my room acoustics are similar and changing to my dynaudio standmounts (from rx6s) really helped, no more bass boom, harshness in the high frequencies and better control at high levels..

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i would not get into what has more watts i have played with a few old amps from denon,rotel,ca,nad,sony,jvc,arcam and have demo'd a fair few and its more to do with the amount speed of the current and watts. you can google the topic and if you give yourself an hour you will see that a 20wpc amp can out perform a 60wpc amp cause the lesser amp can supply the needed current without drop off and lapses ect.Someone might explain the proper way of saying this.

I think that that you have a classy amp with a lot of features so i would try and work some speakers that marry with your amp/room. your amp will keep you happy for aleast 5years imo. The speakers again dont rush into it. I have switched to standmounts with front ported and they are very good. I have a wooden floor and windows close to me some floorstanders were over powering yet on home cinema are perfect.

good luck. the first step i would do if i was in your shoes would be to borrow from a dealer a 2k amp if you say that you really need to prove what the speakers can do in my home. then if they sound awesome and right you can maybe start to think of an amp change at one point but if they still have some bits that are not what you are looking for you know its the speakers that are not suited to your home. that does not make them bad speakers. And i would then try and borrow for an hour some top speakers and try with the amp again that will show what the amp can do. you will need a good dealer and if you convince him that will spend you hard earned cash in the next few years with him he should if you leave your card with the funds to clear the products let you have them for a couple of hours each. good luck

A

Anonymous

Hi

I've got some interesting news :)

I picked up my colleges Primare I20 mk3 amp this afternoon - thank you Allan.

After 30 mins of warmup, I started to play with some good warm detailed music - Celine Dion (french album). I use the MCR603 as source...

I don't know where to start, but I nearly couldn't belive my own ears! The Missions deffently came alive - what a nice surprise
smiley-cool.gif

The bottom end, is more tight and deeper - not as much, so I can live without a sub, but we're very close now. The Mission's driver only 6,5" and a small cabinet, so I don't think they're capable of more...

Vocal and clarity is just amazing - instruments are alot more seperated and clean now - wow I must say! It's like a hole new stereo perspective...

Also the music is much more controlled at higher volumes, one of the things I would like the MCR603 to do better.

So what on earth am I going to do now?? Tell my college that his amp got stolen in my car
smiley-wink.gif

The Missions deffently deserves a better amp - that's for sure.

But in what direction should I move?

I love the MCR603 many cool features, like Vplayer and Airplay - I'm going to miss that, if I replace it. So maybe a high quality DAC hooked on my Mac Mini would be a solution...?

Any suggestions are very welcome

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/plex_dk/ccbaa003.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/plex_dk/30d211e5.jpg

A

Anonymous

if the primare brought about such marked improvements then a dac (while still using the marantz) will not achieve the same..

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
if the primare brought about such marked improvements then a dac (while still using the marantz) will not achieve the same..

I don't understand you exactely...

If I buy a new integrated amp, and sell the MCR603, then I need something to play my Apple lossless and netradio. And the best way would be a good DAC hooked on my Mac Mini - right?

And sound quality would in my world be just a good, as the MCR603 as source - right?

A

Anonymous

Hans Mouridsen said:
maxflinn said:

I don't understand you exactely...

If I buy a new integrated amp, and sell the MCR603, then I need something to play my Apple lossless and netradio. And the best way would be a good DAC hooked on my Mac Mini - right?

And sound quality would in my world be just a good, as the MCR603 as source - right?
ah i thought you meant you were keeping the mcr603 and getting a dac, my mistake..

A

Anonymous

you know what, i think i have a good idea :)

a harmon kardon hk990 amp, they're about £750, pack 150wpc and loads of current, have two subwoofer outs, a built in dac :p and reviews are very good. no need to ever change amps again no matter what speakers you may buy..

£795 here...

A

Anonymous

or you could try one of these xtz amps? even more power than the HK, a built in dac and the first 50watts is class A (not sure what relevance that may have though it sounds good :) )

only £625, and you can get a 30 day home trial from here, not many reviews yet but the word is it's very good..

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
you know what, i think i have a good idea :)

a harmon kardon hk990 amp, they're about £750, pack 150wpc and loads of current, have two subwoofer outs, a built in dac :p and reviews are very good. no need to ever change amps again no matter what speakers you may buy..

£795 here...

It looks amazing, but I think it's over my budget - let's not forget, that it started with a _low_ budget hifi - but budget seems allready blown into peaces long time ago
smiley-laughing.gif

I'm still listining to the Primare, and it keeps impresses me in a very positive way - that's awsome, but also sad in a way, because I'll have to upgrade after this little test - there's no way back now
smiley-undecided.gif

If I could have done this over, I would have lived without a sub, and used the money on a much better amp.

What about the small Yamaha A-S500 - reviews are pretty good, but it might be a bet together with the Missions...?

A

Anonymous

buying an amp of the same quality as the primare and a dac will cost around £600-£700 i'd have thought?

if so then both the hk (well nearly :) ) and xtz are within range, a trial of the xtz might be a plan? no obligation to buy, you just have to pay for return postage of the unit they send you if you don't buy. and afaik if you decide to buy a new one they pay to take back the demo unit and send you a brand new one..

edit.. i've never owned a mcr603 but i've had a pm6003 and an as-500 and i wouldn't have said the yamaha was more powerful (though it is on paper), both great amps though imo.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
buying an amp of the same quality as the primare and a dac will cost around £600-£700 i'd have thought?

if so then both the hk (well nearly :) ) and xtz are within range, a trial of the xtz might be a plan? no obligation to buy, you just have to pay for return postage of the unit they send you if you don't buy. and afaik if you decide to buy a new one they pay to take back the demo unit and send you a brand new one..

edit.. i've never owned a mcr603 but i've had a pm6003 and an as-500 and i wouldn't have said the yamaha was more powerful (though it is on paper), both great amps though imo.

You are properly right about the prices...

I need to get a step up, if I want something matching the Primare...

I've seen the XTZ's XTZ Class-A 100 D3 recommended on Danish sites too, so maybe it's worth a try - allmighty it's heavy (22kg)!!

A

Anonymous

i think it's definately worth a try, what have you got to lose? i'd love to hear your opinion on it, i may buy one myself at some point..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts