Marantz MCR603 vs PM6003 (amp side)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I've found a review here...:

http://www.mindaudio.de/images/produkte/class_a100_d3/test_classa100_highfidelity_english.pdf

Positive I think...

Maybe I should ask BK for a refund instead of a repair, and then use the money on a new amp ?

A

Anonymous

or if you like the Primare this much,,,,,,buy one and a reasonable dac thus avoiding many usless. upgrades and saving cash in the long run.

A

Anonymous

The Limey said:
or if you like the Primare this much,,,,,,buy one and a reasonable dac thus avoiding many usless. upgrades and saving cash in the long run.

I like the Primare very much, but again I have only the MCR603 to compare with - maybe the XTZ is better, maybe it's not....

A

Anonymous

would you consider 2nd hand? i have a marantz pm7001 that's got 70wpc, it sounds fantastic and drives my dynaudios with ease, if money is tight something similar (maybe even more powerful) should be within reach for about £200-£300..

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
would you consider 2nd hand? i have a marantz pm7001 that's got 70wpc, it sounds fantastic and drives my dynaudios with ease, if money is tight something similar (maybe even more powerful) should be within reach for about £200-£300..

Maybe I would go 2. hand, but if BK agree to refund the sub, I'll properly buy something new with integrated DAC...

We have a XTZ dealer here, so maybe I could try out this monster, with my own Mission speakers before buying...

T

the record spot

Your speakers are fine Hans - the 794SE was decently reviewed, albeit Mission had fallen out of favour in the hifi press for a while, but as you've found when you put a really decent amp on them, they've shone. A 40wpc amp won't cut it and you can forget driving them a little louder.

The HK990 will be a decent match assuming your 794's aren't a tad on the lean side, which the HK990 can apparently veer towards. I heard it last year and must admit thought it was very good. Don't think though, that all that power is all muscle and nothing else. It's a very neutral performer.

If the 990 is a little rich for your pocket, have a look at Harman's HK3490 receiver - it's around £300 in Superfi, £350 at full price from the HK online shop, but will deliver a healthy 120wpc, has an onboard DAC, apparently has a really nice sound and it'll take any number of inputs, as well as a couple of subwoofers! Well worth shortlisting I think, but the Primare is head and shoulders above most (except the HK990).

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the comments :)

"the record spot" - you are the first saying anything positive about my Mission speakers - besides from the design...
smiley-smile.gif

I think the HK990 is over my budget, so I've the XTZ monster in spot.

But is the XTZ means to be played in class a mode before it shines, or would the less power demanding class a/b mode, be just as good?

I don't need an electric radiator - I've both a fireplace and water heat in the floor
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

I got a good offer on the Class A 100 D3 in silver/black - 540 pounds...

So I've ordered it
smiley-smile.gif

Looking forward to test this brutal bandit
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

I think you've made the right move Hans. I got much better performance from my Marantz MCR once I bypassed its amp (even with a budget amp). Proved to be that seperates really are better.

A

Anonymous

Follow up...

I got the beast today - ohh my god it's enormues
smiley-surprised.gif

Luckely it did fit my furniture, but I had to cut out the backplate.

I've about one hours listening, and it's really positive so far. The sound is much like the Primare, but the XTZ has more punch - so I'm very satisfied.

First I did use the MCR603 as source (cd and netradio), connected with RCA cables to the XTZ. Sound was somehow a little noisy and undetailed - very easy to hear on the XTZ.

Then I connected my Mac Mini, directly to the XTZ trough the optical input, and then things shines - so crystal clear and highly detailed sound.

At bottom line, I very happy about replaceing the MCR603 - my Missions troughly diserved better, to show it's high potential.

I don't say the MCR603 is a bad buy, because it definitely not. But my experience tells, that speakers should be choosen with care.

Thank you all for help and inputs
smiley-cool.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/plex_dk/262e38d8.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hans Mouridsen said:
Follow up...

I got the beast today - ohh my god it's enormues
smiley-surprised.gif

Luckely it did fit my furniture, but I had to cut out the backplate.

I've about one hours listening, and it's really positive so far. The sound is much like the Primare, but the XTZ has more punch - so I'm very satisfied.

First I did use the MCR603 as source (cd and netradio), connected with RCA cables to the XTZ. Sound was somehow a little noisy and undetailed - very easy to hear on the XTZ.

Then I connected my Mac Mini, directly to the XTZ trough the optical input, and then things shines - so crystal clear and highly detailed sound.

At bottom line, I very happy about replaceing the MCR603 - my Missions troughly diserved better, to show it's high potential.

I don't say the MCR603 is a bad buy, because it definitely not. But my experience tells, that speakers should be choosen with care.

Thank you all for help and inputs
smiley-cool.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/plex_dk/262e38d8.jpg
come on hans, you must have more to report than that? is the xtz better than the primare? is it worth the money? are you very happy? do your missions sound better than ever before? etc :)

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
come on hans, you must have more to report than that? is the xtz better than the primare? is it worth the money? are you very happy? do your missions sound better than ever before? etc :)

Come on maxflinn - give me chance, to listen to it
smiley-wink.gif

In a couple of days, I would be able to give you better answers.

But so far, I can reveal that the XTZ is an amazing amp. I like the XTZ's soundstage more than the Primare - it's a little more "open" I would say (more detailed) and punchy. But I've also changed source, from the MCR603 to Mac Mini (optical). So a little unfair comparison....

When talking about build quality and appearance, the Primare is better - it looks more exlusive and delicius. The XTZ's build quality is not bad at all, but it can't cope with the Primare. But let's not forget that the XTZ is cheaper and more powerfull than the Primare + digital inputs, sub outputs, class a.

And yes the Missions are sounding better than before - the lack of low end, was poor with the MCR603, way better with the Primare, and even more with the XTZ. So when the Mission get the right power, then I can say fore sure, they really shines!

So I finally got a system, that I can be satisfied with - so I'm just very happy now
smiley-smile.gif

More detailes would come...

A

Anonymous

Blackdawn said:
I'm thinking the XTZ needs plenty of ventilation. Are you keeping it where the Marantz was? Looks quite tight. Nice setup by the way!

Yes it's located where was Marantz was..

There's about 1inch space from the of the top of XTZ and the furniuture - yes that is close, but It's not getting that hot in class a/b.

Also I've cut out the backplate in the furniture, to give further ventilation.

Elsewhere I might need drill some extra holes....
smiley-laughing.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/plex_dk/8437f363.jpg

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Does the XTZ startup in class A mode or A/B? Which is the standard mode? I would consider buying one if they had tone controls etc, in my view essential when playing different albums.

A

Anonymous

Blackdawn said:
Does the XTZ startup in class A mode or A/B? Which is the standard mode? I would consider buying one if they had tone controls etc, in my view essential when playing different albums.

Well no tone controls - I like that part
smiley-smile.gif

The amp starts in the same mode, as you turn it off.

Awsome amp for small money I think!

Please fell free to ask, if you have more questions

A

Anonymous

glad you like it hans, have you tried it in class A and A/B? could you detect a difference? ta..

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
glad you like it hans, have you tried it in class A and A/B? could you detect a difference? ta..

The class a mode sounds a little more clean, sometimes it be difficult to hear the difference. So I'm "only" using a/b mode - also because I'm affraid my tv furniture would set on fire in class a mode (pretty narrow space)
smiley-laughing.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hans Mouridsen said:
Blackdawn said:
I'm thinking the XTZ needs plenty of ventilation. Are you keeping it where the Marantz was? Looks quite tight. Nice setup by the way!

Yes it's located where was Marantz was..

There's about 1inch space from the of the top of XTZ and the furniuture - yes that is close, but It's not getting that hot in class a/b.

Also I've cut out the backplate in the furniture, to give further ventilation.

Elsewhere I might need drill some extra holes....
smiley-laughing.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/plex_dk/8437f363.jpg

When running in Class A, you will probably need much more space around it - check manual for guidence. I have a Class A, and you could fry your breakfast on it. :)

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
When running in Class A, you will probably need much more space around it - check manual for guidence. I have a Class A, and you could fry your breakfast on it. :) Cno

Yes I know...

Therefore my plan is to use a/b mode only - I've also both a fireplace and water heating in the floor, so I don't need an electric radiator
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

Gr8 to hear you are waxing lyrical about the XTZ Hans
smiley-cool.gif

Keep us posted as I am part way to going this way....considering 'actives' as well though. It's really satisfying when you have spent your hard earned and you start to get the 'goose bumps' in compensation
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Hans Mouridsen said:
maxflinn said:

The class a mode sounds a little more clean, sometimes it be difficult to hear the difference. So I'm "only" using a/b mode - also because I'm affraid my tv furniture would set on fire in class a mode (pretty narrow space)
smiley-laughing.gif
that is a tight fit, i'd be looking at a way of giving the beast more room to breathe :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hans Mouridsen said:
CnoEvil said:
When running in Class A, you will probably need much more space around it - check manual for guidence. I have a Class A, and you could fry your breakfast on it. :) Cno

Yes I know...

Therefore my plan is to use a/b mode only - I've also both a fireplace and water heating in the floor, so I don't need an electric radiator
smiley-laughing.gif

Trouble is, if it's any good in Class A, you won't want to listen to it any other way.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, does the XTZ have Tuner and Phone inputs?

Also I was wondering if you notice any difference between using your Mac as the DAC converter compared to the XTZ? Are you using lossless files? Cheers. Will you get the CD player to match? Like the look of the Missions by the way.

A

Anonymous

Blackdawn said:
Hi, does the XTZ have Tuner and Phone inputs? Also I was wondering if you notice any difference between using your Mac as the DAC converter compared to the XTZ? Are you using lossless files? Cheers. Will you get the CD player to match? Like the look of the Missions by the way.

The XTZ has 4 analogue inputs (one of them is with riaa), and 5 digital inputs (1 toslink and 4 rca)

I've not tried the to use the Mac Mini's DAC, as I assume it would be noisy in a small computer. But I've tried to use my old MCR603 as source trough rca, and that was clearly no good.

Yes I'm using lossless files, and I buy all my music trough the Itunes store. I've ripped all my old cd's, so I won't need a cd player - also I don't have any space for it...

Yes the Missions are quite stylish (in a modern way) - my wife didn't want traditionel black oak style
smiley-innocent.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts