Mains Cables make a difference??

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking into upgrading mains cables.... does this really make a diiference??

Tacima CS929 is £40 got 5 stars then there is the likes of Supra MD-06 £125! 4 stars. No brainer there really but it seems although the Tacima is too cheap to make a difference??

Also plugs... People tested the Chord Company Superscreen???? £65 for a pug to go into my setup of Arcam AVR250 and Arcam DV79. That would improve sound and picture?

Anyone tested this??

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but only if you think it does. I've saved myself a lot of money by only pretending to replace mine. It sounds incredible!
emotion-4.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sigh- do we really want to start this over a weekend? Please do a search in the Forums for this subject and you'll find pages and pages of debate/slanging matches.

All I can recommend, other than that, is what we do for ANY product- try before you buy.

A

Anonymous

i have found that russ andrews cables and mains blocks make a difference and do improve things.I have tried some other expensive ( about £100 a cable)ones and it makes things sound different but not necessarily better.

Hi Dean Morris

I will advise using the mains cables supplied with your components and in the first instance plugging the cables directly into the wall. If you do require an extension block then ones from Wilkinsons stores do the job superbly.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

"I will advise using the mains cables supplied with your components and in the first instance plugging the cables directly into the wall. If you do require an extension block then ones from Wilkinsons stores do the job superbly."

The voice of reason and very good to hear
emotion-1.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
What Clare said.
emotion-1.gif

From direct experience it depends on kit and circumstances. Sometimes they seem to help, others it doesn't matter. So, speak to your nice, friendly hi-fi dealer, get some on loan (may require a credit card swipe) and give 'em a try. If you can, get a like-minded mate to help you do some blind tests.

Just for the record, with my current setup, they don't seem to make any difference.

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
having recently moved house i am under the impression that it depends heavily on the quality of the electricity in your house

my last house was an old fairly old 1930's one and i found quite sizable gains in using these types of things (mains blocks and iec leads)

Im not saying it will make a huge difference but it certainly tidy'd up the sound.

however in the new house (about 10 y/o) i have found the mains block seems to compress the sound and rob the amplifier of some dynamic ability i am now running the superscreen's straight into the wall socket and the sound is much improved now im looking in boxes for the original cables to see what if any difference is made by that!

Id say give them a try and see what they do with your set up if you cant tell any difference or don't like what they do then you've saved yourself some money!

A

Anonymous

As Clare said, this subject has been well covered many times, usually by the same culprits (the loud minority) so do a forum search.

All I would say from my experience is that if they do make a difference, that difference may not be what you seek from your music. More (or even less) clarity/better dynamics/ more punch may not be what you are looking for. It all depends on the balance of your system and your tastes. More ain't always better!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive found braided cables definitely make a difference so long as theirs RFI n the mains (Nearly everyone, or perhaps everyone here will have 'some' RFI in their mains. so it depends on how much there is and how much is removed by the cable)

Lots of copper is good for any equipment that draws a lot of power too

Ive even had success by cutting off a hardwired cable to my (then) Denon av amp and fitted a 16 core braided cable to it

The difference it made was quite suprising. Bass in particular was so much more solid, and detail so much clearer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts