Mainland Europe prices :-((

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello!

I'm living in Belgium and discovered this excellent forum a few weeks ago as I was searching for info on what to buy. Sadly, I have realized that I'm in country where we are supposed to pay full retail (and a high retail at that) for anything home cinema related.

I had my mind set on the award winning Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 system. From my 'research' it appears it can be readily obtained in the UK for 500 pounds.

Here in Belgium, only a few shops carry this brand and the best price so far is 895 Euro (793 pounds = 58% more). Yes, we have a slightly higher VAT here and sure I can expect it is somewhat more expensive to ship to Belgium but 58%!!! Add to that NO STOCK and 2 weeks delivery.

I tried to negotite a better price but I was met with an arrogant response that basically said "retail is what you SHALL pay".

You guys in the UK are soooo lucky to have actual competition in the marketplace. I guess I have to come over to the UK and buy...

Guy

A

Anonymous

find a dealer in the UK who is prepared to ship to your country ...

go to www.parcel2go.com and check the prices from the UK to your country ... it's not all that expensive, and the dealer should not charge you extra for packaging as he would use the same packaging to ship via courier in the UK ...

he should also compensate for the difference in the shipping cost between the UK and your country if his price includes shipping to the UK

A

Anonymous

I did think about that but are any UK dealers prepared to do "grey export"??

If anyone reading this has suggestions on "cooperative" dealers, feel free to email me on: someguyinbelgium@gmail.com

yes that IS my email address and my name is Guy - it's a French connection :)

Guy

A

Anonymous

buy new off ebay but log into the ebay uk site ... many dealers advertise new items on ebay and you will find that it is prob cheaper than buying from a store on the high street in the UK

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
hey there Guy in Belgium ... we here in the UK have the same annoyance with the much cheaper prices over there in the USA. :(

Loads of the prices here in the UK are waaay overpriced and it's sad that this is the case so I do feel for you when you have to pay even more.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm in Norway and it's far cheaper to secure what you want to buy in the UK by phone or email, fly over with RyanAir or similar, which usually costs £10 each way if you pick the dates right, and get the VAT back at the airport when you depart the UK.
As far as waranty is concerned, most major manufacturers such as Panasonic, Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc, have European warranties included so if something does go wrong then you just make arrangements with the local representative in the country you are living and they will honour that warranty.
Details are usually in the box with a list of international contact details.

That's why you can buy cool stuff in the airports without worrying if it breaks down when you get home.

Worst case scenario it doesn't cost THAT much to ship it back to the shop, taking into account the savings enjoyed by sourcing it from the UK.

I bought a portable DVD player in Richer Sounds (Manchester I think) a few years ago and when I asked for a VAT form and told him I was from Norway, he very carefully explained the international warranty system and then scurried into the back room to produce the instruction book for the product in Norwegian.

Although there are some good deals to be had over here, most of the big brand stuff is approximately 50% cheaper in the UK.

Case in point, Sony STRDA-2400ESB on super sale this week for £1000 here, while I can see it's £399 in the UK.

USA may be cheaper but you guys don't have it so bad . . . .

A

Anonymous

just hop on eurostar theres lots of hifi places within easy reach of the station

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Yep - I second (or is that third) the Eurostar. It's only £59 return from any Belgian station. I managed to move my entire family to Belgium for my wedding, so you should easily be able to move a few speakers! Take a friend and spend the day auditioning. Tottenham Court Road is only 10 minutes from St Pancras International and a great place to haggle (although not generally ideal demo conditions).

Eurostar are generally quite decent about additional luggage, but just in case, the official line is here:

When you travel with Eurostar, you don't usually need to check your luggage in. Each passenger can take up to 2 medium-sized items (85cm at their maximum length) with them on board, plus 1 small item of hand luggage. What's more, provided none of your items are longer than 85cm at their longest length, there aren't any weight restrictions. Of course, we do still need to make sure there is enough room for everybody's bags, so if you bring more than the allowance mentioned above, you may need to pay an excess luggage charge of £15 per item. Anything larger than 85cm at its maximum length will need to be transported by our registered baggage service £15 - £20 per additional item, depending.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Chances are you'll be waiting until very late January, maybe even February before stock is freely available over here, and that's if you get your order in now! Prepare for a wait....

A

Anonymous

I don't mind waiting for the right package at the r¡ght price.

Guy

A

Anonymous

Hi.

I have a house in france, and tv's hi-fi and most electrical goods' are cheaper in the uk

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Some online UK stores will ship to mainland Europe for little cost. Bought lots of stuff on amazon.co.uk and play. Small detail to keep in mind when buying electronics: you'll have to change power mains.

Another thought: WHF has a focus on UK products. Your Teuton neighbours however sell very good audio/video stuff native to them for fair prices as well. Lots of German stores will ship to other mainland countries. Check german online audio/homecinema mags.

A

Anonymous

dim_span:
find a dealer in the UK who is prepared to ship to your country ...

go to www.parcel2go.com and check the prices from the UK to your country ... it's not all that expensive, and the dealer should not charge you extra for packaging as he would use the same packaging to ship via courier in the UK ...

he should also compensate for the difference in the shipping cost between the UK and your country if his price includes shipping to the UK

I have used parcel2go and they are excellent. Get a friend from the UK to buy you the set and ship it to you if you can't get a dealer to do it.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

buy it from the dealer ... pay via credit card and tell the dealer that you will arrange collection ....

book through parcel2go ... include insurance to the value of the item, but don't forget to add the delivery cost aswell

fill in the form, pay for the delivery via paypal or credit card and parcel2go will collect from the dealer and deliver ... takes 2 minutes to fill in the form on the parcel2go website

Parcel2go will either use DHL or Interlink

all the dealer needs to do is ensure that the item is packed and that he has the correct address label on the parcel

you will receive a tracking number and can check on the website where the item is at all times .... we have shipped items from the UK to the USA and has taken 2 days ... 3 working days to Australia ... collection from door to door

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts