Old gear still sounding good

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I was back in the UK for a few years and my brother still has my old budget system that I left with him when I departed in the early 90's:
Dual CS505-3 / NAD 3020a / Mission 700LE's.
I streamed to it using a Chromecast audio puck and it sounded remarkably good.
Shout out to Wilkinson's Hi Fi in Nelson, Lancs. We took the Dual in for a service with them. They did a great job. If you live in that area I would highly recommend a visit to their store. They also have an awesome selection of used and vintage gear... I was soooo close to purchasing an old Akai GX635D (which was fully serviced and ready to roll).

Reactions: JDL

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I have a penchant for mid-90s gear - the stuff I lusted after as a teen, but couldn't afford at the time.
Have a lot of Rotel kit (two integrated amps and a three-box pre/power combo), TDL speakers, at least five pairs of Missions knocking about.
Still love all of them, can't bring myself to get rid of any of it!

I have a penchant for mid-90s gear - the stuff I lusted after as a teen, but couldn't afford at the time.
Have a lot of Rotel kit (two integrated amps and a three-box pre/power combo), TDL speakers, at least five pairs of Missions knocking about.
If you are not financial broke and have the space to store it why should you?
However, time and lack of use is no friend to hifi kit, me I would let it go and let someone else enjoy it. Most of mine went in the direction of my impoverish brother.....

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I also seen to like older hifi especially after trying to improve upon a old pioneer a400 and mission 763i speakers it became apparent that hifi hasn't gotten better just moved on with connectivity ie Bluetooth etc.

I but still go back to the a400 sporadically for it's warm inviting sound plus the fact it has sentimental attachment.

Fandango Andy

Old mission speakers were such amazing value, they sound better than many far more expensive speakers. I picked up a pair of 701's in the early 2000's for £50 (Richer Sounds selling old stock off cheep - they were only £160 when released). they were my main speakers for years, I now use them in a bedroom setup with a Sony TA-F246E that I got from ebay for £20. Still sound fantastic.

Reactions: Dougal1331

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Old mission speakers were such amazing value, they sound better than many far more expensive speakers. I picked up a pair of 701's in the early 2000's for £50 (Richer Sounds selling old stock off cheep - they were only £160 when released). they were my main speakers for years, I now use them in a bedroom setup with a Sony TA-F246E that I got from ebay for £20. Still sound fantastic.
I've got 751s on the PC rig, 753s on my main setup, and 752 Freedoms in the bedroom (yeah I'm single...).
Got some 780s (both first and second editions), and some 761s in my hifi heap in the spare room too.

I've upgraded the tweeters in both the 752s (successful DIY) and 753s (professional upgrade), and they are incredible. They will be staying with me til they fall apart!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts