Your old departed HiFi that you still wish you had or greatly lamented and never forgotten.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Is it placebo effect or my mind colourised from nostalgic events in my life but at times I do think, what would it be like to have my old HiFi from the eighties. Am I going to be disappointed or will it hold favourably to the test of time?
Perhaps it is true what they say, the HiFi industry is overhyped and targeted squarely at gullible people with money to waste. Yes, a fair bit of cynicism but perhaps some element of truth.

It has become almost a metaphor each time I open a thread, some people get it and I'm glad they do, while a few, construe it as attention seeking, like a circus hippo doing ballet on a tight rope and saying out loud to the crowd, 'look at me, look at me'.
Truthfully, I simply want to share something I'm passionate about and hopefully, learn something from you and find a common thread.

Anyway little rant over :), these are my gems that I still miss today and much lamented.
Logic DM101 Turntable, Marantz CD73 player, Edison X 2, mono tube amps and Musical Fidelity Reference 4 speakers.

It would be fabulous or spiffen good, if you can share the HiFi you had in the past and still wish these were with you today.

1701347093214.png1701347048086.png
1701347126368.png

1701347160770.png
I'm struggling to remember my preamp, I think it was a Crimson 610?
1701347808820.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Now this is coming from an American bent but I would have to say that the product I've owned that I really wish I hadn't sold and that I miss the most is the Yamaha CR 1020 stereo receiver.

The thing came out in probably 77 or 78 and I picked one up about 8 years ago. It had been partially restored but not fully however the sound quality out of that thing was simply sublime.

All of the criticisms that people levy against Yamaha amps particularly of that vintage was never in evidence and furthermore has to be one of the sweetest most beguiling amplifiers I've ever heard.

Mine worked flawlessly with no issues of any kind and all functions and switches and everything worked exactly how they should as if they were new.

About 5 years ago I got into a place where I sort of needed some extra money and decided to part with it, timing seemed to be right given at the time that particular model was going for good money, far more than what I had initially paid for it.

I still see them from time to time on eBay and other vendors and the prices now are just outrageous, easily $2,000 or more for a unit in the condition mine was in.

It really taught me the lesson that if you find a Hi-Fi piece regardless of what it is and you love it and it gives you everything you want musically, don't get rid of it, because if you do the day will come where you'll be listening to something and remember how great that piece sounded or remember how it made you feel.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Now this is coming from an American bent but I would have to say that the product I've owned that I really wish I hadn't sold and that I miss the most is the Yamaha CR 1020 stereo receiver.

The thing came out in probably 77 or 78 and I picked one up about 8 years ago. It had been partially restored but not fully however the sound quality out of that thing was simply sublime.

All of the criticisms that people levy against Yamaha amps particularly of that vintage was never in evidence and furthermore has to be one of the sweetest most beguiling amplifiers I've ever heard.

Mine worked flawlessly with no issues of any kind and all functions and switches and everything worked exactly how they should as if they were new.

About 5 years ago I got into a place where I sort of needed some extra money and decided to part with it, timing seemed to be right given at the time that particular model was going for good money, far more than what I had initially paid for it.

I still see them from time to time on eBay and other vendors and the prices now are just outrageous, easily $2,000 or more for a unit in the condition mine was in.

It really taught me the lesson that if you find a Hi-Fi piece regardless of what it is and you love it and it gives you everything you want musically, don't get rid of it, because if you do the day will come where you'll be listening to something and remember how great that piece sounded or remember how it made you feel.

Absolutely 100%

matthewpianist

Two systems stick in my memory:

Pioneer PL12D / Rotel RCD-965BX / Pioneer A400 / Mission 751

Project Debut 2 / Arcam CD73T / Arcam A65+ / Quad 11L

I know I could be very happy with either now, but I don't feel the need to rebuild either. I just don't believe I'd see much or any benefit beyond what my current system is giving me.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I moved in with my then girlfriend, later wife, in 1976/7. She had a hifi based on an Armstrong amplifier (626?) and Monitor Audio speakers. It sounded good but was let down by the turntable which was a Philips.

We were living in Lee in South London and we went to the recently opened Billy Vee shop in Lee High Road, where it still is amazingly, to seek advice on a replacement turntable. We had a wonderful experience as the owner, Ian Anderson I believe, spent hours with us enthusiastically demonstrating various combinations (Rega Planar, Thorens, etc).

We ended up buying a Thorens TD160, a Hadcock GH228 arm and an AKG cartridge. The Hadcock was an engineering wonder but took hours to set up. It had a counter-balance weight which you had to adjust in minute steps and the unipivot rested in a well which you filled with a silicone gel to provide the proper damping.

It sounded wonderful! I remember in particular hearing for the first time the triangle in the final movement of Brahms' 4th Symphony. I have to admit that keeping the arm properly set up was a pain the backside but I guess that was part of the whole romance of the thing.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
ive been through a lot of systems trying to find the "sound" or perhaps I already had it. There arnt many pieces that I miss tbh or even give a seconds thought, even though some reviewed well I didnt gel with for what ever reason. The pieces I really love are still with me packed away safe and sound.

One piece I wish I had kept hold of was a pioneer stable platter CD player it was one of the lower end models, I got it on sale/ex-display for around 100 quid. it was part of my first system when I left school in 99/00.

I moved on to the NAD c540 which is still working hard to this day the matching 320bee is in the attic.

Im going to spin it round about abit and say that if I get some free space i might start picking up the gear that drooled over as a kid, I remember hearing a set of B&W 600 series floor standers in a record shop called "bass records" back in 2001, used to walk past every day coming home from college and you could hear them playing. At the time id never heard anything like it.

I also wanted some of the tasty rotel amps of the time, they used be on the top shelf of the local hifi store, you felt naughty even looking at them, like you do if notice the adult mags on news agent on the top shelf, you know that feeling right? LOL maybe not.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
ive been through a lot of systems trying to find the "sound" or perhaps I already had it. There arnt many pieces that I miss tbh or even give a seconds thought, even though some reviewed well I didnt gel with for what ever reason. The pieces I really love are still with me packed away safe and sound.

One piece I wish I had kept hold of was a pioneer stable platter CD player it was one of the lower end models, I got it on sale/ex-display for around 100 quid. it was part of my first system when I left school in 99/00.

I moved on to the NAD c540 which is still working hard to this day the matching 320bee is in the attic.

Im going to spin it round about abit and say that if I get some free space i might start picking up the gear that drooled over as a kid, I remember hearing a set of B&W 600 series floor standers in a record shop called "bass records" back in 2001, used to walk past every day coming home from college and you could hear them playing. At the time id never heard anything like it.

I also wanted some of the tasty rotel amps of the time, they used be on the top shelf of the local hifi store, you felt naughty even looking at them, like you do if notice the adult mags on news agent on the top shelf, you know that feeling right? LOL maybe not.
We have the internet now, for a lot of the adult stuff, cough cough :ROFLMAO:

My first proper hifi, Planar 3, Nytech CA202, Heyrook HB1, has all been improved, and now I sometimes wonder how th HB1s would have sounded fed by my current Uniti Star.
Classic speakers, and amp for that matter, I owned a pair from when first released and then a pair of HB3s, not easily replaced. Mine were powered by a Quantum pre/power combo.
Nytech have revamped I understand....

PAPA BOO

Jun 25, 2023
Visit site
Back more then 50 years ago My Father had a junk store. One day I come over and he has a nice analog Stereo in a nice cabinet with 2 matching speakers.. This was that 1950's style the main cab with TT AM/FM receiver and a Stereo Amp and 2 speaker cabs but did not work. I took it home did something and got it to work. As I looked it over I found that it was a Heath Kit ! For all you youngsters Heath Kits were actually just that you went to "RADIO SHACK" and buy these kits out of a catalog. I have bought and sold many of these over the years but this one got me started and I wish I still had it. But Solid State came out and you know its so much better then old Tube stuff. I was a dumb kid for letting that one go buy.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Miss my old sansui 501 and mission 760i combo with Philips cd player and tape deck, my first hifi at 12 from my father's loft.
I wore the missions out with that amp and replaced the sansui with an obviously much better pioneer a400 I still use sporadically and lie to myself the acram sa30 I replaced it with is better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201-082846.png
    Screenshot_20231201-082846.png
    551.7 KB · Views: 5

matthewpianist

Miss my old sansui 501 and mission 760i combo with Philips cd player and tape deck, my first hifi at 12 from my father's loft.
I wore the missions out with that amp and replaced the sansui with an obviously much better pioneer a400 I still use sporadically and lie to myself the acram sa30 I replaced it with is better.

A400 and Missions is a great combination.

Reactions: Dougal1331

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
A400 and Missions is a great combination.
Still have the a400 I've mentioned a bit about on here before and a pair of mission mx3's as a secondary system in the livingroom.
I recently serviced the pioneer a400 myself and replaced the front power led that had come off in its many moves.
The amount of dust and dirt accumulated over the yrs was surprising but there wasn't any signs of leakage etc from the Electrolytic capacitors and such so left them alone.
I'm not interested in those upgrade kits that don't actually involve upgrading anything on the signal path, that combined with really liking the way it sounds already.
I'm of the band of people who follow the addage "if it's not broke dint fix it.
I've had various speakers go through it the best all round by mission are the mx3s for my room size but the old 763i's were absolutely lovely with heavy metal making good use of the huge deep driver that finally tore at the rear reflex not long ago.

They have a sentimental value far suppasing ever getting rid of them so I'm still looking for a replacement my reason for getting the mx3's.
I also remember a pair of tannoy m15s I had sounded very nice with the pioneer.
As mentioned I lie to myself about both a roskan k3 and acram sa30 sounding better than the a400 but needed the connectivity of the acram now and must say it is a very nice sounding amp in itself.
I miss the first pair of missions I ever had out of sentimentality probably but also know they were a huge contributory factor to why I love hifi now.
The selector knob with the cd input on the a400 is starting to drift to one speaker channel but it's easier to use a different input than replace, it's something I will probably renew at some point.
I only moved away from mission because I found the q acoustics 3050i very good and the deal from Peter Tyson almost a steal.

Attachments

• PXL_20231019_140144069.jpg
    PXL_20231019_140144069.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20231019_140135710.jpg
    PXL_20231019_140135710.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20231002_165833337.jpg
    PXL_20231002_165833337.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20231110-085529.png
    Screenshot_20231110-085529.png