What Do You Do With Your Old Broken or Low Value Gear

Witterings

I'd had a clear out in the loft and found quite a few bits that are either broken of have little value and don't really just want to send them off to go into landfill somewhere although I can't see what else to do with them

I've a Denon M38 Dab, my daughter had a party one evening and I think killed it, if it was £20/30 I'd use as an upgrade in the bedroom but I've had a qoute and it's about £100 to fix it which doesn't seem worthwhile.
Would it get anything on e-bay sold as spares or parts, if it's only £10 and have the hassle pof posting it off again it probably not worth the hassle.

I have a Yamaha DSP ASX 640 SE .... switch it on and it immediately switches off, then on then off repeatedly everey second or so.

I've been using a Yamaha DSP A590 until recently just as a stereo amplifier until recently upgrading so whilst it works it has probably little or no value.

I've a tatty pair of B & W DM 110 speakers in good working order but in their condition aren't worth a lot and unless you find a local buyer, with etheir weight probably aren't worth shipping.
I was thinking about selling each of the drivers seperately for like £30 each (some on ebay asking £85) but having cleard out a load of stuff just want it gone rather than sitteng there until someone finds they need one.

Be interested to hear what others have done with their old gear?

EDIT: Bit of an afterthought, apart from e-bay, are there any decent 2nd hand sites, I'm also potentially looking for some bits myself.

Last edited:

doifeellucky

We had a loft conversion which forces you to be pretty ruthless.

The problem with electrical gear is in most cases you can’t even give it to a charity shop.

Depending on how generous you feel you could pop it on something like freecycle to pass it on to a new home. Though I bet many use that to get free stuff they just sell on eBay.

Our local tip has a section for old electrical gear so if absolutely worthless I’d probably just take it there.

Witterings

The problem with electrical gear is in most cases you can’t even give it to a charity shop.

Depending on how generous you feel you could pop it on something like freecycle to pass it on to a new home. Though I bet many use that to get free stuff they just sell on eBay.

My 1st thought was charity shop and then realised they don't take electrical.

I hadn't heard of freecycle before I may put them on there, if someone else is prepared to stick it on e-bay to make something out of it when I'm not and it stops it going in landfill I'm not against that but may just try e-bay, spares or repair 1st.

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I would sell it on gumtree, in my experience the lower cost stuff goes quite easily as long as you are realistic on price, my more expensive stuff took time.

I'm not keen on selling on Ebay

Reactions: treesey
I’ve never used Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace, but they seem more oriented to local sales. It’s amazing what sells on eBay, and with stuff for repair there’s little risk if you wrap it well and ship it.

I sold a 40 year old Ortofon cartridge box, and an SME arm box on eBay easily. As well as speakers, amp, CD player, cables and a streamer. Good pics and a bit of detail always helps imo.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
You could try and sell to Emporium HiFi - they collect and give you money. Facebook buy and sell - someone local quite probably will collect and give u cash. Or there’s the tip.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Everything has value. If it doesn’t work put it on for spars and repair. Ie they’ll rip it apart for spars. As lot of the parts you canty buy easily like dac chips and some things just arent made anymore . So there’s value there always is.

Though nothing to do with hifi! Cycle Parts are through roof right now and have been for 2 years now. I’m selling cassettes with 4-5000 miles on them for all most new prices part worn tyres for 20-30 quid depend on brand names.

point being people will buy it given time.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Everything has value. If it doesn’t work put it on for spars and repair. Ie they’ll rip it apart for spars. As lot of the parts you canty buy easily like dac chips and some things just arent made anymore . So there’s value there always is.

Though nothing to do with hifi! Cycle Parts are through roof right now and have been for 2 years now. I’m selling cassettes with 4-5000 miles on them for all most new prices part worn tyres for 20-30 quid depend on brand names.

point being people will buy it given time.
Best not to take to tip then? :)

Reactions: twinkletoes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts