MA Gold GX50: biamping / stands

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Having ordered a pair of MA GX50's which should arrive at the weekend, I'm turning my attention to set-up, so have a couple of questions.

Bi-amping

As my AVR has 7.1 channels and I'm currently using just 5.1 of these with my current MA Radius system, when the GX50's arrive, I'll have the opportunity to bi-amp them using the spare channels. This seemed to be the obvious choice to tidy up the bass, but I noticed that the What Hifi review of these speakers recommended single-wiring them to "help keep things cohesive". Do any of you have experience using the GX50's either way? I'm finding it difficult to imagine (in theory anyway) what possible advantage there could be NOT bi-amping them.

Stands

Again, the obvious choice would be the MA stands designed for the GX50's and GX100's, but I'm yet to be convinced. I have a very resonant floor, which is one of the reasons I want to return to small stand-mounts to aid the separation of speaker and floor. The design of the MA's don't look that great at keeping resonance in check, but I'd be interested in your experiments with either these or other stands.

For design and price (they're £150 cheaper) I quite like the look of the Q Acoustics Concept 20 stands. I think it's easier to prevent 3 feet from resonating or rattling than the four spikes of the MA Gold stands, and the Q Acoustics make use of the 'Gelcore' technology, which again might help with my resonant floor issue. The black stands would also suit my piano black GX50's more than the grey MA stands.

But there's always the issue of the top plate. I used to have spikes ontop when I had my Ruark Epilogues and while this sounded good, it was pretty unstable and easy to knock. It would also damage the lacquer of the MA's, so I'm not keen on that this time. I'm very much open to suggestions on that front please.

So I'd be interested in any comments you might have in setting up the GX50's. In the style of Lloyd Grossman, "it's over to you".

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

As you can see the quote function is refusing to work, you said....

" I'm finding it difficult to imagine (in theory anyway) what possible advantage there could be NOT bi-amping them."

In theory, bi-amping could be an issue when bi-amping with A/V amps. It goes like this, we all know that the limiting factor in such amplifiers is the power supply, ie the the amplifier will have (say) 7 x 100watts amplifiers but a power supply with a total capacity of 400-500 va.

Using an extra pair of amplifiers in bi-amp mode will draw power from the common power supply, thus reducing what is available to the other amplifiers. The amplifiers with the most difficult job in the setup, those driving the main left/right speakers, may now have less power available to do their job, resulting in a lowering of headroom and a consequent reduction in sound quality.

Regarding stands, if possible try and borrow a pair of suitable heavy stands and a pair of lighter frame stands. These are the extremes, which you prefer may help your final choice. I have no experience of the speakers so can not say which are likely to be better.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
macdiddy said:
Have you thought of trying to do anything about your resonant floor.

You don't say what type of floor you have but I'm guessing it's a wooden one.

*unknw*

Fair point, but I don't think I can do much about it. It's actually a concrete floor (albeit in a second storey flat), but there's something about it that is resonant. Whether it's the frame of the building that the floor rests on that's the issue I have no idea. I do have a very thick underlay and carpet, so I think its effects are already minimised as much as possible.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
In theory, bi-amping could be an issue when bi-amping with A/V amps. It goes like this, we all know that the limiting factor in such amplifiers is the power supply, ie the the amplifier will have (say) 7 x 100watts amplifiers but a power supply with a total capacity of 400-500 va.

Using an extra pair of amplifiers in bi-amp mode will draw power from the common power supply, thus reducing what is available to the other amplifiers. The amplifiers with the most difficult job in the setup, those driving the main left/right speakers, may now have less power available to do their job, resulting in a lowering of headroom and a consequent reduction in sound quality.

Hmmm, OK, that's interesting. I hadn't considered that.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had my GX50 bi-wired from an integrated.

I've also had them bi-wired from a power amp.

I've even had them bi-amped, with highs from an integrated amp and mid-bass from a power amp.

I've also thrown a PSX-R into the equation.

For the last three months they have been single wired from my integrated amp, positive to high and negative to mid-bass. Sat atop some MA GS stands that are well damped and filled to the brim.

For a forward sounding Cyrus system like mine, GX50 single wired set up is the best for me ... coherent as What HiFi says in their review.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
I've had my GX50 bi-wired from an integrated.

I've also had them bi-wired from a power amp.

I've even had them bi-amped, with highs from an integrated amp and mid-bass from a power amp.

I've also thrown a PSX-R into the equation.

For the last three months they have been single wired from my integrated amp, positive to high and negative to mid-bass. Sat atop some MA GS stands that are well damped and filled to the brim.

For a forward sounding Cyrus system like mine, GX50 single wired set up is the best for me ... coherent as What HiFi says in their review.

That's very helpful Adam, thank you. You might just have saved me a penny (or possibly more) on speaker cable!

My GXC150 is already in place. I've been playing the most dialogue-heavy Blurays to get a true sense of its character. I'm thoroughly enjoying what I'm hearing so far, and am boyishly excited at the prospect of the GX50's arrival!

Boys and their toys huh. What are we like?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts