Placing speakers on stands.

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
My stands have four adjustable spikes on a metal plate. When I used them with my first speakers (Mordaunt M20) I put a large circle of silicone on the plate, and adjusted the screws to make the speaker level both ways.This has held the speaker in place, even with the odd knock from dogs.
I've now bought better speakers and, understandably, don't want to see them knocked off. What do people do? I can't see screwing into the cabinet case is desirable, but I'd like to make them bomb-proof. Not quite HiFi in a war zone, but it can get like that...

My stands have four adjustable spikes on a metal plate. When I used them with my first speakers (Mordaunt M20) I put a large circle of silicone on the plate, and adjusted the screws to make the speaker level both ways.This has held the speaker in place, even with the odd knock from dogs.
I've now bought better speakers and, understandably, don't want to see them knocked off. What do people do? I can't see screwing into the cabinet case is desirable, but I'd like to make them bomb-proof. Not quite HiFi in a war zone, but it can get like that...
Four blobs of BluTack.
Most speakers are not designed to be screwed to the top-plate, simply sit on it.
If you really want bombproof consider floorstanders as replacements.

Fandango Andy

Mine are sat on blu tack. Large flat piece that covers the whole top of the stand.

Messiah

BluTack as well.

Holds really well. I just 4 biggish blobs in each corner.

(I'm not suggesting you try this but I had AVI ADM9 9.1 actives (so not a light speaker) held with Blu Tack and I could tilt the whole lot fully without them budging).

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Blue Tack it is! I remember that for putting up posters in my bedroom as a kid, always made my dad mad as it pulled the plaster off the walls.
For once a cheap audio solution, Thanks.

Reactions: Messiah
4 door buffers for me.
Perfect hardness, perfectly even, no mess.
Once they've sweated in place, the speakers really take some moving:
I don't see those actually sticking the speakers to the stands.
Do they?
I wonder if he can actually fill his stands to make them immobile.
If the stands aren't going anywhere then nor are the speakers you place on top of them.

Last edited:

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Aesthetics, wife factor
I don't see those actually sticking the speakers to the stands.
Do they?
I wonder if he can actually fill his stands to make them immobile.
If the stands aren't going anywhere then nor are the speakers you place on top of them.
My stands are cheapies, but do the job. They are 95cm, so I filled them 60% with K.D sand, which has steadied them nicely, the bases are only 3mm steel. Aesthetically innoffensive

If you're really worried then there is also Black Tack, stronger/stickier than Blu Tack, I've never used it though.
Found some! (Amazon)

Reactions: manicm

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I made these stands myself... Solid cherry wood with spikes in the base plus small cones in the top plate. The stands are quite heavy and with the spikes very stable.

Attachments

• 20220702_091611.jpg
    20220702_091611.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Gray and manicm

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
I made these stands myself... Solid cherry wood with spikes in the base plus small cones in the top plate. The stands are quite heavy and with the spikes very stable.
Nice bit of wood that. I have a load of ash boards (starting die-back) I cut from my hedges in lockdown, . Most I logged but the straightest I've split into 150mm slabs, and now I'm thinking it should be ready to go through the saw. Ash is a bit boring as a timber, but better than buying something. I've also got some melted lead to weight the pedestals, no way my dogs will knock them over- I hope:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Cherry is a hardwood and quite heavy so I didn't need any additional mass... When you make your stands, make sure you set up the verticals so that they form a structurally strong frame - so that they won't wobble...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts