Stone plinths under speakers on sideboard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Sorry, I can hardly see my screen. Out of interest, is this a male-dominated hobby? I suppose it is, looking at posts here.
Not necessarily male-dominated but does attract nerdy types and people with obsessive-compulsive issues which are generally male traits :)
All are very welcome though as it is a love of music which binds us all together.

Try bedding the stone on silicone. I used to 'glue' mantel pieces on with it, and if customers queried it I'd challenge them to shift it, after three day's curing. Big tube applied in a circle so you get the benefit of a vacuum effect. You may need temporary wedges to level until cured. I used it under my speakers, whilst the spikes took the weight. I couldn't feel any resonance coming down my (sand filled) budget stands. It can be removed easily from stone and smooth surfaces.
If you click on a users name to the left of a post, one of the pieces of information it should reveal is when they were last here. In the case of the OP, it was October 2019.

Reactions: Al ears

Dom

Not necessarily male-dominated but does attract nerdy types and people with obsessive-compulsive issues which are generally male traits :)
All are very welcome though as it is a love of music which binds us all together.
Indeed, I don't think women get the same feeling as men do seeing the inside of an amplifier, possibly.

I think being impressed by a circuit board is generally a male thing.

Having said that, like men, women love Hi Fi and will buy Hi Fi when they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Gray

... is this a male-dominated hobby?
Not always.
There are endless posts from blokes saying things like:
The wife /'better half' / 'S.W.M.B.O'. (she who must be obeyed) / 'The boss'.....would never allow that colour / size / shape / expense.

In their houses, the females very much dominate the hobby - but I think some of the gimps secretly enjoy being dominated.

Not always.
There are endless posts from blokes saying things like:
The wife /'better half' / 'S.W.M.B.O'. (she who must be obeyed) / 'The boss'.....would never allow that colour / size / shape / expense.

In their houses, the females very much dominate the hobby - but I think some of the gimps secretly enjoy it.
Well and truly hijacked..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts